GE Whiz Fan Wind Powered Oscillator

Bobby Gaines

Hi Everybody! I have been thinking about making one of the for a while, It was a lot harder than I thought. I guess the balancing of motor gave me the most problem. Well here it is. I have not named it yet !

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

11.jpg

• Like 6

Wow is right. Did you get that to go with no modifications to the speed of the motor (ie, more airflow)? That is a trick. Very cool.

I did not have to modify the motor at all, just changed the balance point where the stem attached. It took me three time to get that right. The blade is the same pitch just balanced it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, George Durbin said:

Hokey smokes!  Do you have trouble sleeping at night?😁😆

Not really George, Some days I was just worn out trying to figure how to make it work. I have a box of parts that would not work. The slip ring was the easy part.

12.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

• Like 1

The base as many of you have noticed is not GE, I think it is Emerson Jr. I bought from Gordon Sommers at Stan's Lake Houston meet( I still owe him 2.00$ on it). The Whiz Fan base was too light.

1 hour ago, Bill Dunlap said:

Knocked it right out of the park! Home run!

Hey Bill could you help me name it, You all-ways come up with some cool names for your fans. 

• Like 1

Great ! I watched your video of the little brass fan, amazing . Too Cool! Let me know if you come up with a good name.

Great job.. I can only imagine the trials and tribulations.. I can see I’m gonna have to up my game..

Edited by David A Cherry
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, David Kilnapp said:

Gorgeous craftsmanship, Bobby! You and Bill Dunlap are in a class by yourselves! WOW!

Thanks David, But Bill is in class of his own!

6 hours ago, David A Cherry said:

Great job.. I can only imagine the trials and tribulations.. I can see I’m gonna have to up my game..

David I like that fan, I saw one at  a meet not long ago.  They are cool!

I’m thinking about making an 8 inch one.. my wife doesn’t like it when I butcher fans already finished, so I’m waiting to find another one.. I also thought about doing a little 3 1/2 inch one. But I have to start from scratch. Too much bullshit for something that may or may not work. But it would be neat. This is what happens when you’re retired tool and die maker and you get bored. Sadly, I don’t have access to a multi million dollar machine shop anymore.  Now I just work out on my basement with Chinese junk.  

IMG_2607.jpeg

IMG_0762.jpeg

Edited by David A Cherry
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, David A Cherry said:

I’m thinking about making an 8 inch one.. my wife doesn’t like it when I butcher fans already finished, so I’m waiting to find another one.. I also thought about doing a little 3 1/2 inch one. But I have to start from scratch. Too much bullshit for something that may or may not work. But it would be neat. This is what happens when you’re retired tool and die maker and you get bored. Sadly, I don’t have access to a multi million dollar machine shop anymore.  Now I just work out on my basement with Chinese junk.  

IMG_2607.jpeg

IMG_0762.jpeg

I know exactly what you are talking about, I am a retired Pipeline Welder and now I am working with metal thinner than the filler metal (electrodes) I use. It fun though. 

6 hours ago, Steve Butler said:

In a hundred years people will be trying to figure out what company made that.  

They'll figure that out quick enough. What they won't know is what crafty Bobby Bright Brass did to it. 🙂 

3.thumb.jpg.0a31eb736a05ec14b6927e7be2a609e1.jpg