A 10$ Diehl?

Tristan Crider

Picked this up today at auction for 10$

I really like the guard on these. What year are we talking here? I don't know ANYTHING about these fans. Brass blades? Throw it out or keep and restore? 

20240216_155616.jpg

20240216_155612.jpg

20240216_155606.jpg

4 hours ago, Tristan Crider said:

Picked this up today at auction for 10$

I really like the guard on these. What year are we talking here? I don't know ANYTHING about these fans. Brass blades? Throw it out or keep and restore? 

20240216_155616.jpg

20240216_155612.jpg

20240216_155606.jpg

I think it is called the bicycle wheel cage...

Thanks Russ! I the more I look at this fan the more I want to keep it.. I think I will. I love the look of it and it's heavy and massive. It works! So is this chrome or Nickle plate? I shined up a bit of the good part and it looks so nice. I'd love to see the rest of it looking fresh. 

I have two of these 12" Diehl oscillators that model, they run strong and the gear box seems to be better than the earlier ones .

1.JPG

4.JPG

6.JPG

5.JPG

• Like 2

Wow, Bobby, you sure did a nice job on restoring your Diehl. That looks fabulous!

As usual, Russ, you are a great resource of information for this group. How fortunate we are to have you as a member!

Tristan:  that's a nice score for $10 - you can't lose starting from that number!

Edited by David Kilnapp

47 minutes ago, David Kilnapp said:

Wow, Bobby, you sure did a nice job on restoring your Diehl. That looks fabulous!

As usual, Russ, you are a great resource of information for this group. How fortunate we are to have you as a member!

Tristan:  that's a nice score for $10 - you can't lose starting from that number!

Thanks David, I restored that fan a few years ago and used it as daily runner for a good while. Great fan

If you use powder coat on a blade you want to be very careful to be sparing and uniform applying the powder over the blade. Too much powder on one wing and you will have a vibration/balance issue. I experienced this once with chrome plating a blade in past. Correcting the problem requires damaging the finish.

In my mind I see it chrome with a shiny brass blade. Normally I stick with original patina if I can but this base is toast. We'll see.. It's a beast! Thanks for all the info/replies! 

I’m not willing to have things plated due to the high cost, and powder coating by a local shop ain’t cheap either. 

I’ve used Rustoleum chrome paint successfully on blades and cages.  Longevity??   Anyone’s best guess but it looks good to me.  

Bought a can of Rustoleum “shiny brass” that I’m going to try soon on some brass plated parts that I tried to shine up and ended up taking all the plate off.   

IMG_2023-09-06-084731.jpeg

Edited by John Landstrom
  • Like 2