Northwind

Michael Rathberger

A decade ago, and retro beyond when old fan awareness wasn't as prevalent, I used to see early Northwind examples like this pop up on Ebay. I rarely look at Ebay anymore unless a member messages me a link for some purchase guidance. 

There never was as much respect for the Northwind as there were for the oscillating 9" Emerson models. Every now and then back then you would see a 450A or 450B pop up with its original oscillating hardware.  And every now and then you could win the Northwind auction for $30-$40. The early Northwind pivot, collar, link, shoulder screw, and ratchet case were interchangeable on the 21645, 24645 models. Many an early Northwind oscillation drive train was sacrificed to benefit an early 9" model missing its ratchet case, or more. 🙂 

Northwind fans need love and respect too.  Especially the 32 volt farm plant models. I have one with its original ratchet case. 🙂 

Edited by Russ Huber

Agreed Russ. I'm not parting out for sure. Except for the blade it's an attractive fan. So far I have a 19046, 19044, GE Whiz and now the Northwind in 32V DC. I also own a Wirt Dim-A-Lite in 32 as well. Get 'em when you get 'em. (there's probably a few other things I've forgotten)

I have a couple of 32v dc only Northwinds and an original 32v dc Northwind wooden crate in the museum along with the complete line of every Northwind made on display there... It is a shame many "A" and "B" models were cannibalized for their ratchet oscillators to go on the 45's and 46's

geo...

Edited by George Durbin
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, George Durbin said:

It is a shame many "A" and "B" models were cannibalized for their ratchet oscillators to go on the 45's and 46's

geo...

The oscillation parts on the earlier Northwind are only interchangeable on the 9" 45 oscillating models. I am guilty of cannibalization of early Northwind oscillation parts, George. It is a cross I have had to bear for years. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1