The Six-Inch Medallion Regulator

Nicholas Denney

This fan rheostat as advertised by the Cutler-Hammer Co. for the 1911 season was previously discussed on the old forum about 7 years ago. I've since come across several other examples, totaling to 5 DIFFERENT ones as shown below. (ALSO NOTE: the two regulators illustrated could count as another variation as they have the cast CUTLER HAMMER but not MADE IN USA and shortened center vent, as in the second to last example)

What puzzles me most is the (first)one that is labeled for Champion Blower & Forge of Lancaster. Fidelity was their exclusive blower motor supplier for the duration of their existence; only Champion blowers made after the early 30s have their tags affixed to a motor of a different make. Why was Fidelity apparently having Champion use a third party motor control on their motor, sourced from hundreds of miles away, when they already made rheostats!?

Was Cutler-Hammer aggressively marketing them to forge blower manufacturers and offering them a deal they'd be foolish to turn down? Did Fidelity make the switch originally and then sell the design to Cutler Hammer? This actually makes the most sense to me.... maybe there is a patent out there whose assignee will answer that question.

Last but not least, it's also worth noting that the first example is the only one that's assembled correctly. The nuts go on the front side of the terminals, not the back! You can't back off the screw head to install a wire! The illustration shows this correct method as well.

Screenshot_20240229_194539_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240229_194310_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240229_092239_Messages.jpg

Screenshot_20240229_195416_Chrome.jpg

IMG_20240229_194933.jpg

Screenshot_20240229_195307_Chrome.jpg

IMG_20240229_194938.jpg

Edited by Nicholas Denney
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul Carmody said:

Those are interesting.Do you have pics of the backs?

The dolled one above from the past is not factory. I had a sign painter highlight the embossed areas as part of the restoration process.

image.jpg

unnamed (9).png

unnamed (7).png

unnamed (8).png

• Like 1