G.E. Pancake Paper Labels

Steve Rockwell

Has anyone run into this while disassembling a Pancake?

image.thumb.jpeg.461355c04381dd352fc93faa2932180a.jpeg

It carries the typical data as seen in later base plate instruction sheets: tag designation, L-10074;  date of printing, 24 Mar 1906; number of labels printed, 100,000 (and that's huge compared to other runs, to the point of being dubious).

image.jpeg.2f095e3827c958d7652b0d6bc6648fa4.jpeg

The item number 2874X is the greatest puzzler of all... What were they getting at, since the motor frame presumably carried a brass cage denoting pertinent info, it was only years later they would include model number...

image.jpeg.13ae0764fe83be1fa5c766d78db39568.jpeg

Perhaps it's an inspector's tag, and the 2874X number is a person's identifier, which is a very unsatisfying low-probability explanation for the high number of tags... I can't find any such number (2874X) applied to a fan, and this is the only listing I found with 2874... no good answers at present...

Again, has anyone seen such an item?

Edited by Steve Rockwell

Yes! I actually have seen one of those, and funnily enough I thought it didn't belong, but I left it. Was very thin paper and faded red ink. 

I want to say yes also. Trying to recall if pancake or bmy. 

Will look for pics and post if I locate...

Posted (edited)

There's another possible explanation for the 2874X number, which might be suggested within this photo of the fan motor... but I have no means to prove or disprove...

image.thumb.jpeg.e2afe4786592889e84d5ff54d8978539.jpeg

Edited by Steve Rockwell

I've seen that label on many pancake stators. I just figured it was a catalog or part number in case of reordering. I've seen similar labels on choke coils. 

Edited by Kim Frank

Thinking back on this again, it's asking a bit too much of GE to have clarity and coherence in their numbering systems. 

A key example of this is the Cat. Number of 44986 that they assigned to multiple, dissimilar ceiling fans over the course of about a decade. The number corresponds to a bottom mount, a top mount, and a 6 blade ceiling fan. The only thing in common between these 3 fans is that they were available in 110v 60Hz... absolutely no parts in common!