Servicing Commercialaire 10" Shrouded Fan

Derrick Chavez

I have an old little fan in good condition. Manufactured by Commercialaire,  Inc., Brooklyn,  N.Y., with no other marking. It is about 13" wide, 15" high with a 10" 4-blade prop, housed in a metal cowling with wire grill.

The fan starts up slowly, and runs a bit slower than it used to. I have attempted to remove the front grill by squeezing the wire tips that insert into the holes in the metal housing, but they are not compressing far enough to clear the holes without risking bending and cracking the nickel finish, or scratching the heck out of the white enamel on the housing. 

Has anyone heard of these fans?

Do I just use flat jaw pliers and risk cracking the nickel, or gradually shim the tips until they pop out? The rear grill is tack welded to the housing, and bolts to the motor housing. Photo 1 Photo 2

DARRICK CAN YOU PROVIDE A PHOTO? IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU NEED OIL IN WHICH CASE REMOVING THE CAGE MAY NOT BE NECESSARY. PLEASE PROVIDE GOOD PHOTOS SHOWING THE FRONT SHAFT WHERE IT GOES IN THE HOUSING, PLUS THE REAR MOTOR COVER ETC..I AM SURE SOMEONE HERE CAN PROVIDE GOOD GUIDANCE . THANK YOU!