29646 emerson

James Gaspard

How top cloth tape stator after cleaning and same for switch coil, paint refinishing, wiring questions, fan front cage logo & brass ID plate restoration How To?

I'm new and I made an error but don't see an "EDIT" link for corrections to posts? What I meant to say in above post was How to replace the fabric/cloth tape over the stator wires? Also tape replacement on the speed switch coil? My fan is an Emerson 29646 model made in 1930? Please help me understand these things, and Thanks in advance!

I use friction tape, it will handle the heat. As far as the stator, I would not do anything. If you have the stator out, you can spray the windings with motor varnish available online or at Grainger.

We had a great Fan Meet in your area last weekend over in Thibodaux. Had a lot of New Orleans folks there.

Post a picture of the stator and speed coil. 

• 1 month later...

I haven't removed my stator because the head wire is severed in 2 places and I haven't been able to test it yet? I did remove the speed switch and attempted to clean it a bit (dusting and wiping with no chemicals). I read that I should test both the switch and motor before removal for restoration? The trouble I've had is understanding how to resistance test the 3 wired stator to know where to hook the new head wires to connect to the switch? A local electric motor guru looked at the stator and said it should have a forth wire (common) to test the 3 speed stator? This stopped me in my tracks, because I thought the same thing?? Someone here explained the common is one of the 3 wires? I will try to test the stator resistances to determine which wires connect properly to the speed switch for that test. Sure wished I could have made that Thibodaux, LA. fan meet as it's only about an hour from me? I'm new here and really don't know how anything works? Thanks for the advice!

James, in the other thread that you started, Tom Newcity posted a diagram on how to wire the stator. Follow that. I've rewired many Emerson stators and his diagrams are laminated above my workbench! Don't listen to your local motor guru. Just separate the 3 head wires from the switch. Remove the stator from the housing. Cut off your old head wire and solder on a new 3-wire head wire. NOW follow the diagram and note the ohm resistance between those 3 wires. Using the diagram, that will tell you what wire gets connected to what on the switch assembly. Don't over think it. Just trust the process!

Thanks, I will do that, just waiting for wires to arrive.

On 3/7/2024 at 1:52 PM, Stan Adams said:

I use friction tape, it will handle the heat. As far as the stator, I would not do anything. If you have the stator out, you can spray the windings with motor varnish available online or at Grainger.

We had a great Fan Meet in your area last weekend over in Thibodaux. Had a lot of New Orleans folks there.

How would I find where a fan meet is going to take place before hand? I can't travel for any meets, so I'm hoping to find one within 100 miles or LESS.

The meet in Thibodaux, La. would have been PERFECT if I would have know it was scheduled!

I'd like to meet someone nearest New Orleans, La. if possible? It would be wonderful to know who may be within driving distance from Metairie, Louisiana? Is there a list showing members and guests contact info here?

1 hour ago, James Gaspard said:

I'd like to meet someone nearest New Orleans, La. if possible? It would be wonderful to know who may be within driving distance from Metairie, Louisiana? Is there a list showing members and guests contact info here?

If you become a member, you will receive a member's directory.  Guests have limited abilities and access on their forum.  

Fan meets are generally published in the events calendar. The recent one in LA is the only one that I know about in your area. 

My loss! All things point to the need for me to attend a "fan meet", but I can't fly to attend since that expense would force me to give up? This is a one time effort that I'm praying will not price me out of completion? It's so difficult to surf this forum and there is no info showing it will be any easier if I send dues to join? At this point, I can't edit any of my posts and a search for my 29646 fan comes up with 8 pages including MOSTLY other fans I didn't search for??

I know this sounds like I'm complaining but you should consider it's constructive? 

James we will have a fan meet in Houston in October, the New Orleans & South Louisiana crew are always here. 

if you are ever around the Houston area, I’ll help you with your fan, but there are folks closer to you.

Thanks Stan, I'd like to see you guys in person! So far I haven't found anyone within 30 miles of New Orleans. This would be ideal for day tripping to obtain knowledge! I'll keep posting whatever I find needs of, and watching my "letters" for folks that want contact?

1 hour ago, James Gaspard said:

Thanks Stan, I'd like to see you guys in person! So far I haven't found anyone within 30 miles of New Orleans. This would be ideal for day tripping to obtain knowledge! I'll keep posting whatever I find needs of, and watching my "letters" for folks that want contact?

Majority of fan people here are not even within 30 miles of one another. You are placing conditions on yourself. 

Edited by Chris Campbell
  • Like 1

I'm told as a guest (non member) that I have no access to member lists and profiles, but when I missed the "fan meet" in Thibodaux, La. last month (I have no access to that info either) someone said I missed a great meet with a chance to meet folks from New Orleans which is 10 miles from me? My expectations of finding someone involved in this hobby that's with in driving distance is based on the quotation I made about the Thibodaux meet? I really want to learn the things needed to restore my fan but I'm spread thin here with other daily projects that keep me from enjoying this every day. I'd like to personally meet folks that are from my location and can help point me to the local things I need to know about? I've been spinning wheels for a week trying to find someone that can weld this spider and hub without destroying it, but I'm striking out with every try? I think being careful is key when attempting to restoring a 94 year old fan that most folks have never seen? Meeting someone closer to my home would be wonderful since I only have this fan on my wish list! If I knew anything about vintage Emerson fans, perhaps typing online would be easier to comprehend but I'm not very informed on the subject and spend a lot of words just trying to describe what I don't know?? Editing my posts before submitting shows me how long winded my posts are but I just don't know how to shorten them and be understood? Bear with me, PLEASE?

Members have informed me about members in New Orleans area, but none have joined in? I've had folks that are 60 miles from my home offer help but I'm thinking after all these weeks possibly I'm the only guest/member actually in this area? It's not that I need to shake hands or visit their home but local contacts for repairs is what I'm needing? I'm not getting any favorable hope on welding the crush ring on hub to spider?? As I'm driving around showing the blade assy. to strangers, they look like I'm asking them to weld the landing gear on the shuttle? I'm "dead in the water"!

I also want to add that as a guest here, I have no ability to edit my posts? When I press the ... on top right, only the word "SHARE" drops down?

I'm thinking I need to get another hub and spider for this 29646 fan blade assy.? I did tighten the crush ring on hub to the spider with a socket wrench and 2 lbs hammer but my crush ring has chipped off pieces that are GONE. This is why I think electric welding that connection is the only way to secure what is there? I can't seem to post a photo here on the site, and would like to forward photos of my damaged hub to some ones phone of email for advice/guidance? Please let me know what I should do?