1970s? Robbins and Myers Ceiling

Tim Babcock

ceiling fan I bought from a friend. From what I can find its a 1970s Robbins and Myers fan. Its heave as can be. Must weight 50# or more Anything anyone can tell me about it appreciated. Not sure of the value. Paid $100 for it. DSC00311.JPG.bcee3b317306a40825de7b50b8c374c4.JPGDSC00312.JPG.08eea5d23e8664b2e8fe5a607df8ae1a.JPGDSC00313.JPG.a195ae25d4ad551f156aee602b290f07.JPGDSC00314.JPG.047b6ffd3ac83043d12c4647b961ce87.JPG

• Like 1

I can tell you that it is not from the 70s, more likely from about 1981-1982 would be my best guess. It is the most bare bones model that does not feature any of the flashy stuff like Adaptaire or Reverseaire. Looks like the black/pecan combo, a local antique store by me has a bunch of these. $100 is a little steep, you see prices like that and higher on eBay but they usually sit around. You can score a good original for around 10$ easily. Actual value is always tough since its whatever anyone would pay for it. But I would never ask over $75 for one unless it had more uncommon accessories. $100 isn't as bad if it was NIB or something special. But, you did get a good fan so the best way to get your moneys worth out of it is gonna be to enjoy it!

2 hours ago, Christian Kasprzyk said:

I can tell you that it is not from the 70s, more likely from about 1981-1982 would be my best guess. It is the most bare bones model that does not feature any of the flashy stuff like Adaptaire or Reverseaire. Looks like the black/pecan combo, a local antique store by me has a bunch of these. $100 is a little steep, you see prices like that and higher on eBay but they usually sit around. You can score a good original for around 10$ easily. Actual value is always tough since its whatever anyone would pay for it. But I would never ask over $75 for one unless it had more uncommon accessories. $100 isn't as bad if it was NIB or something special. But, you did get a good fan so the best way to get your moneys worth out of it is gonna be to enjoy it!

I want to use it in a home we are going to build. I am still looking for a few more and will look for some older ones at the next meet at Docs. The only thing I am doing to this fan is clean and oil it, and I am painting the blade holders brass and sanding and staining the blades with a few layers of clear lacquer. Its amazing how heavy it is.

I am glad it will be getting used, the price is not bad if you are buying it to use full time. Just not as a collection piece sotting on a shelf. They are incredible fans, if you think these are amazing, you should see the Classic Fan ceiling fans. They are knockoffs of the Original, but get this, they are BETTER than an original of the time period! They are constructed more like antiques then the Hunters! Unfortunately they are rather uncommon. But definitely worth picking up.

It is for use. I would have paid 200 for a new fan but this one will do the job and give that antique look for a fair price. The shipping on a fan like this would have been what I paid for it. I hope to pick up an antique at one of the meets.

Hey Tim, great fan! With that canopy & hook, I agree with Christian, early 80s before the R&M spin off when the Hunter employees bought Hunter. Retail on those for non-collectors is $200. I have quite a number of them, Andrew has hundreds, & we are both going to Doc's. One of us can fix you up. You did OK on that, that fan will outlast you. One of the newer ones came into Jay's meet totally locked up from having never been oiled. Derek tore it down, cleaned the bearings, & it was ready to hang another 40 years.

R&M bought Hunter in '49, so all after that say Hunter, division of Robbins & Meyers. Hunter employees bought Hunter from R&M in '84.

• Like 1

You did fine. $100 isn't out of the realm. Yeah, we find them for $20 or $10 or even free, but if you need it, $100 is more than fair. They sell for a bit more retail and cost $599 new, and those aren't the same quality.

If you need more, I can help, but just clean that one out real good, hang it, fill it with oil, and enjoy a trouble-free breeze for the next 20 years.

• Like 1