Vornado questions

Tim Babcock

I have a couple of Vornado fans I am in need of help with. The first one when turned on it just buzzes. If I spin the blade and turn it on it freezes the blade. Not sure if its wired wrong or if its another issue. The second on has a steel blade. When turned on it has a vibration that is bad. I took off the blade and the motor seems to run smooth. Not for sure if its just because the blade is off or if the blade is damaged or missing a weight to balance it out. I need to get something to show if the blade is unbalanced. Thanks for any help. Video link to show what is going on.

With the one that buzzes, it’s a shaded pole motor so it should run with power directly connected to the motor. The speed coil isn’t required for starting.  The other simply sounds like an unbalanced blade. Many posts exist on how to balance blades.  Do a search. 

2 hours ago, Lane Shirey said:

With the one that buzzes, it’s a shaded pole motor so it should run with power directly connected to the motor. The speed coil isn’t required for starting.  The other simply sounds like an unbalanced blade. Many posts exist on how to balance blades.  Do a search. 

I cut the cord so power went directly to the fan motor. Same issue. I will need to take the motor off and see if there is something askew in the windings. This is an older Vornado. Model 1001

I got the motor out and the housing off. That was the hardest housing I have ever removed. Insane. I am going to sand the stater down a bit so it will actually fit. I did not see anything but some bear wires from the enamel coming off. I put some red insulating varnish on the coils. I saw no damage. So it could be a short. Before I put the motor in the housing I am going to plug it in for 10 to 15 seconds and see if it starts to smoke.

I pulled the motor, got it apart cleaned it, put it back together and it still hums and freezes up when current is applied. Must be a short inside. Not sure if I should attempt a rewind or just look for a donor motor.

The other Vornado was a bent fan blade. I bent it back in place and it got rid of 95% of the vibration.

A question maybe some here can answer for me. It may be hard to find a Vornado 1001 fan motor, but if there is a stater that will work from another Vornado model that would make it easier to find a donor. Thanks for any help.

The motor that just buzzes and locks up probably is just worn out bearings and not the stator. My experience has been that ninety-nine percent of the time, that is the case.

I would be happy to assist you on this if you wish.

Thanks mark. It is the stater. The rotor is as free as can be. Bearings seem good. The stater when plugged in when its out of the case smokes as soon as I plug it in. So I need a donor or a rewind on it. This one is going to be for me. A friend of mine had these two and one was vibrating hard. It was a bent fan blade and I fixed it. He is going to trade me a rework for this fan. So its going to be mine to work on. Its an older Vornado and I don't have one like this in my collection. Thanks for any help or guidance.