Emerson 29648 fan

James Byerly

Just joined the AFCA . I purchased an Emerson fan Type 29648  No T40961 at local antique mall. Does anyone have any information on these fans .Thanks!

• Like 1

This is pic of Emerson 29648 . Needs a little TLC . Ordered new cord and trying to find a shoulder bolt screw for oscillator. 

4E124D00-DCD8-438B-B704-ACD0509F080F.jpeg

• Like 1

A fine find! This community is a wealth of information and we are happy to help you along the way with your restoration! Check your blades, I believe they might be brass under that brass paint (something that I never understood why Emerson did). Quick check with a magnet will tell you if it's steel or brass. But I don't see rust on your blades, which leads me to thinking there's brass hiding under that paint. 

Thanks for the info.I just put a magnet on blades,it didn’t stick so hopefully it’s brass. I’ve only been a member 2 days and I’ve already gotten a lot of information.The people on this site are very helpful .

Emerson fans went from having polished brass blades to having a dull finish (gold paint) on the brass blades starting in 1921 for 26xxx and 27xxx series and continuing through 1930 after which Emerson blades were steel, painted black.   Why the change to painted brass blades?   It could be to decrease glare from the highly polished brass blades or maybe the gold paint was more durable, or easier and faster to apply and have cure, or so the blade did not have to be polished before lacquering.   Also, a gold painted blade hub in starting in 1922 replaced black painted hub immediately after the earliest 296xx.  My first Emerson was a 27648 that had a painted blade.   When the paint was removed to bare brass I could see the blade had a "mill finish" with fine lines on the brass, not a highly polished finished.   I hand polished them and they looked very good then.   I'll add that I am a lover or ORIGINAL fans and finishes and, in my collection of hundreds, I have no restored fans, no repainted fans (well, maybe a handful that I got that way), and I have not stripped any blades even when they had some pretty good patina.   I don't buy fans needing much work or all rusty and corroded or with badly wrinkled blades, etc.   For me they have to be very original and keeping the old patina and look of age.

Edited by Steve Stephens
  • Like 1