GE Collar Oscillator gear

Anthony Lindsey

If someone would supply me with a decent gear/gears, I would draw them up in Solidworks.  Then they can be printed on a powdered metal laser printer.  I’m not sure which one breaks or if it’s both.  Anyway, I would be willing to do that.

• Like 2

Ok,   I have one coming and not sure if gears are any good in it.  I'll report back once it arrives. 

• 3 weeks later...

Took apart the collar oscillator and it is the small brass gear in the nose that meshes with the rotor gear that is stripped.   The gears in the neck are in good shape.    It was all gummed up and stuck so once I cleaned everything and got it spinning I reassembled it to see if it would work but it doesn't so I will disassemble it again and get some pictures.

On 3/18/2022 at 6:12 PM, Korey Kreitman said:

If someone would supply me with a decent gear/gears, I would draw them up in Solidworks.  Then they can be printed on a powdered metal laser printer.  I’m not sure which one breaks or if it’s both.  Anyway, I would be willing to do that.

Hi Korey, I'd definitely buy a set of nose gears if you were to make them. Thanks Vic

Here are pictures of neck and nose gear.   

Nose gear is stripped to nothing. 

Korey is this enough to scan?

The brass worm  driven gear is the one that’s tough to make.  I would have to have the whole assembly to make sure everything is correct.  The laser printer is out of commission currently.  My friend said the tech has to replace the laser.  I can at least get the parts drawn up in Solidworks.  I see this getting pretty expensive, just a heads up.  Hopefully the rest of the fan is in good condition.

Lucas Beshara devised a way to rebuild collar oscillators and was active with it for a while.  Not sure if he's still doing it.  I've always heard that a collar oscillator and a GE Coin Op fan had the same motor.  It might be worth contacting the folks who know GE Coin Ops if they can offer assistance.

KIm Frank may know. The Collar Oscillator uses the same stator, but I don't know if the gears are the same. Lucas Beshara  made new steel gears for mine, but not the nose gear. A few years back there was a run of replacement gear housings and worm gears, but they were pricey! Send Lucas a PM. He may have some used parts.

• 1 month later...

Managed to get this back together and it's working.    Is there a way to adjust the oscillation?     It seems to work its way to the right side.

20220511_121655.jpg

20220511_121713.jpg

• Like 1

Nice job! I like the brass on the collar too. My 12" has the brass polished and my 16" does not. Not sure which I like better.

IMG_1434.thumb.JPG.8480c40fee531a3f0ec8ae97a07e476f.JPG

IMG_0086.thumb.JPG.a80a8e9c5c791dc2bf97ce74ded940cd.JPG

If you like, you can get the cord minder from Ted Kaczor (if he has any left)

34 minutes ago, David Kilnapp said:

Nice job! I like the brass on the collar too. My 12" has the brass polished and my 16" does not. Not sure which I like better.

IMG_1434.thumb.JPG.8480c40fee531a3f0ec8ae97a07e476f.JPG

IMG_0086.thumb.JPG.a80a8e9c5c791dc2bf97ce74ded940cd.JPG

If you like, you can get the cord minder from Ted Kaczor (if he has any left)

I thought it was Darryl Hudson who made the cord holder?  I got two of them from somewhere.  Really nice quality.

Darryl may have made them at one time (good guy) but I don't believe he does now. I got mine from Ted (also a good guy).

Thanks David,   Both look very nice.    I skimped out on trying to paint the tag,  haven't mastered that yet.   I will check on the keeper,  thanks.

Do you know if there is any adjusting the sweep of the oscillator?

• 2 months later...
On 4/4/2022 at 3:35 PM, Korey Kreitman said:

The brass worm  driven gear is the one that’s tough to make.  I would have to have the whole assembly to make sure everything is correct.  The laser printer is out of commission currently.  My friend said the tech has to replace the laser.  I can at least get the parts drawn up in Solidworks.  I see this getting pretty expensive, just a heads up.  Hopefully the rest of the fan is in good condition.

Korey, any updates on making the gears?  I would love to own a set.

2 hours ago, Korey Kreitman said:

At this point, the cost to reproduce gears is far too expensive.  I have decided not to take this on.  

Thank you for letting me know.

I got a hold of Geoff Dunaway and he tells me he has some gears stashed somewhere and will look for them.  As soon as I get my hands on them, I will begin the tedious process of drawing them up.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

As I recall Lucas was using gears from an RC Car. They were already the same size/ teeth and he just modified them.  

33 minutes ago, Lane Shirey said:

As I recall Lucas was using gears from an RC Car. They were already the same size/ teeth and he just modified them.  

I don't have the machining ability to modify them so it will probably easier to just have it printed.  I will get a better idea when the parts arrive from Geoff.  I will most likely do a batch print to save money. 

As for printing cost, there are ways to "trick" the computer into calculating for a cheaper cost.  Cost is dependent on size and number of parts.  Lets say it is a small piece, the computer already sets a base price no matter what the size is.  I can put a "link" connecting these small parts and the computer will calculate as a single piece.  I've done this before to save on some Webley bumper parts.  After I receive them, I simply cut off the link and a little filing takes care of the rough ends.  The stainless steel printing is much cheaper than brass...brass is at least 4 to 5x more expensive than printed stainless steel.  The cost will eventually go down as with most technology and early adoption.  This is still in the early stages.

Now for the stainless steel, there are two types.  One would wonder why?  If you read the specs, one has magnetic property and the other does not.  When I ordered Bobby's Diehl badge, I chose the magnetic steel.  I want to see how strong a magnetic field it can generate.  If the magnetic field is strong enough, I can use the material to print the DeMott motor.  At this point, the materials being used is still in its early stage and I need to try them out before deciding which directions to go for making some prototypes.

Also, every time I order a metal type, I keep track of the shrinkage so I have it for reference.

As for the cost of the gear, it should be comparable to one being CNC or even less.  The goal is to have these parts made on the go whenever you need them.