Help with first fan, Emerson 24666

Ben Smith

45 minutes ago, Patrick Ray said:

The part number with the red arrow is a semi tubular that I use for the stamped hubs. The other part number is a semi tubular that I'm going to try with the cast hubs. I know, not original. But I don't want to risk busting a cast hub with a solid rivet. I know more experienced guys use solids, but as I am new to riveting cast, I want to play it safe. 

Side note, the last digit in the part number is the letter O not the number 0. That may make it easier to find the rivet on their site. 

Been there/done that many times.  I still hold my breath every time I use a solid rivet in a cast hub. 

• 4 months later...

Got going on a few other things and have not worked on this for a few months.  Picture of current status below.  Rivets ordered for attaching blades to hub.

image.png.ae225062ff2f64b7e0df5699ad44e0d2.png

However, ran into another problem ... dropped the bottom plate of the oscillator wheel ... broke into 3 parts.  Tried to silver braze back together to no avail ... where can I get one of these?

image.png.ffa256236d3ad7f6d51e3342c7f5803b.png

Iron can be silver brazed, but you need either the blue or orange flux coated rod. Blue is 43% (IIRC) and orange is 56%. They wet the iron really well, then you can cap with 15% sil-phos. White flux coated brass/bronze rods also will braze to iron well. I recommend the high silver on thin cast simply because it wets the iron really easily.