Water Dynamo

Louis Luu

This thing is small and would be impractical.  Most of the ones I've seen are much bigger and do work.  This thing is pocket size compare to most.

20 minutes ago, Louis Luu said:

Carlisle and Finch?

Yes. Without question. It can be seen in 1897 electrical trade. The mounting holes on top of the field magnet were optional to mount a hand crank.  

1 minute ago, Russ Huber said:

Yes. Without question. It can be seen in 1897 electrical trade. The mounting holes on top of the field magnet were optional to mount a hand crank.  

Do you have pictures of this hand crank?  I would love to make it complete again.

2 minutes ago, Louis Luu said:

Do you have pictures of this hand crank?  I would love to make it complete again.

It is complete the way it is. It is either hydro or hand crank. That is an early C&H hydro model design compared to the model to follow the following year of 98. 

C&HDynamo.v1.jpg

content.v1 (6).jpg

Cool.  Will need to get that done.  I thought the holes were for hanging.

image.thumb.png.cb50a03948e7d754599da8fbada7a2fa.pngimage.thumb.png.17d37591b7c65569eb1d68d9de41e00f.pngimage.thumb.png.9bf24fb188ea26f98a7343e9aa314e6b.png

Edited by Louis Luu

You don't need to do anything to it. It is complete as is.  It is an EARLY C&H hydro generator.  I have never seen one like that early model in the flesh.

I have another one that

You don't need to do anything to it. It is complete as is.  It is an EARLY C&H hydro generator.  I have never seen one like that early model in the flesh.

Yes I do.  I have another one that is missing the top hand crank accessory.  It has the gear on the rotor but need the large hand turn gear.

Something else that is very rare is a cast bronze/brass GE kidney gearbox. I can't find one anywhere. Probably one of the rarester things known to man. Fact Jack.

Something else that is very rare is a cast bronze/brass GE kidney gearbox. I can't find one anywhere. Probably one of the rarester things known to man. Fact Jack.

I will head down Wednesday next week.

1 hour ago, Louis Luu said:

Carlisle and Finch?

I drive by the Carlisle and Finch Company all the time it is right next-door to a plating company that I have use for fans in the past also down the street from an antique store.. their building is Art Deco.. so I’m thinking that they moved because art deco is 1939.. not sure where the original location was.. anyway they are still in business.. 

Just now, David A Cherry said:

I drive by the Carlisle and Finch Company all the time it is right next-door to a plating company that I have use for fans in the past also down the street from an antique store.. their building is Art Deco.. so I’m thinking that they moved because art deco is 1939.. not sure where the original location was.. anyway they are still in business.. 

Hey David...are they still taking on walk in plating service?

1 minute ago, Louis Luu said:

Hey David...are they still taking on walk in plating service?

I’m not sure what you mean the plating company is next door down the street a ways..they electroplate and so everything is ultra shiny,they don’t do walk-ins but I didn’t know this when I walked in and the guy did it for me.. we made friends so I think he will do another if I ask him.. if you look at the December issue of the fan magazine there is a Carlton fan on the cover the chrome in job was done right down the street from the Carlisle Finch  Electric company here in Cincinnati.. 

• Thanks 1

Years back I was in contact with the C&F CEO.  He sent me archived catalogue copies, nothing special really.  He was descendent of either Finch or Carlisle, he had the last name of either or. That was 15 years or more ago. They maintained the Nautical lighting aspect of the business.

Bipolarflatstrut1.jpg

Bipolarunknown1.jpg

Bipolarunknown2.jpg

Bipolarunknown3.jpg

Bipolarunknown4.jpg

7 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

Years back I was in contact with the C&F CEO.  He sent me archived catalogue copies, nothing special really.  He was descendent of either Finch or Carlisle, he had the last name of either or. That was 15 years or more ago. They maintained the Nautical lighting aspect of the business.

Bipolarflatstrut1.jpg

Bipolarunknown1.jpg

Bipolarunknown2.jpg

Bipolarunknown3.jpg

Bipolarunknown4.jpg

I had a chance to purchase that today but pass due to the neat looking water dynamo.  I normally don't care for water dynamo.  But this one struck me as being really odd...it is impractical for it to be that small.  I knew I had to have it.  Tell me more about the motor you posted.  I may change my mind and buy myself another gift.

2 minutes ago, Louis Luu said:

I had a chance to purchase that today but pass due to the neat looking water dynamo.  I normally don't care for water dynamo.  But this one struck me as being really odd...it is impractical for it to be that small.  I knew I had to have it.  Tell me more about the motor you posted.  I may change my mind and buy myself another gift.

That little guy(dynamo) I posted is long gone, but not one of one.  You have a prize with that little hydro dynamo, like maybe one of one? 

Bipolarunknown1.jpg

image.png.6f54398cd295575527c87762c62f77a9.png

Some of these small dynamos were battery chargers. Would get your Model T started & to town after you ran it down running your radio!

~Sparky~