Shedd Vane Table

Louis Luu

I get tired of listening to people talk of Shedd like he was the mastermind of the wind driven oscillator. Shedd was the wallet/partner for the true mastermind, that being Thomas Romer Weyant in the earlier stages of Shedd Electric. Weyant's first examples were demonstrated under the Shedd name in 01 with fan motor bolted on them from the open market. 02 was the first year Weyant/Shedd fan motors (their factory fan motors) hit the market.

Shedd was an electrician prior to Shedd Electric. Steve Rockwell gets credit for that tip.

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 1

Hey Russ....was the original Weyant patent drawings ever made or did Shedd appropriate the original design with some modifications?  I would love to resurrect the original example base on the patent drawings.

This is your goal if reproducing it turns you on. Not the Hill Fan. You can design it to mount most any desk fan motor on it. I know of no Hill 360 vane rotators to surface.

US508710-drawings-page-2.png

Lundell Hill 360 Oscilator.JPG

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Thanks 1

Russ....do you know where this picture came from?  I need to read the description of these parts.  I have no idea what/how it is held down.  I also have no idea what that top part is for?

US508710-drawings-page-2.thumb.png.17a542c1ae4960e1d43ad7fbb236dc0b.png.df6388a154d933ca000557b8cf0d3b91.png

I found out what the top portion was for.  That belongs to the motor.  Not interested in the top portion, just the bottom.  Now for the dip in the middle?  Picture courtesy Jim Kovar.

332897389_73630_081425_140000000(1).jpg.d87c91f3e31476248472b261ee351076.jpg

Serousl\\\\\\\\\\

1 minute ago, Russ Huber said:

No bearing. 

US508710-drawings-page-2.png

alternator-slip-ring-1483616943-2673676.jpeg

I did not see that!!!! a pin bearing. 

This one is doable.  Do you think there would be an interest in these?  The blades can be done by making a press...this can be done in plastic.  The plastic can be used to press the cleats. 

The casting for these parts would be relatively easy to make in lost wax.  The drawing even simpler.  I would like to make the Crescent part emblem as a cast pattern.  Do you have a better picture of the logo?  I am grateful for finding this.  These pictures are a gem.

The pin bearing would need to be replace with modern screw pin bearings to make it replaceable.  Hey Russ...that commutator...do you have the link?  I would like to know the inner diameter clearance.

This symbol etched in sheet brass connected to a well-constructed rotation table would get attention. If it works properly, it will really get attention.  The device is not rocket science.

43750369511_31cb9a570c.v1.jpg

1 minute ago, Russ Huber said:

This symbol etched in sheet brass connected to a well-constructed rotation table would get attention. If it works properly, it will really get attention.  The device is not rocket science.

43750369511_31cb9a570c.v1.jpg

I can make the press plates out of plastic to press that into the brass sheet.  You'd be surprise how much pressure plastic can withstand.  That pin system is crazy...this system/mechanism would not last very long once the tip is worn down.

3 minutes ago, Louis Luu said:

Hey Russ...that commutator...do you have the link?  I would like to know the inner diameter clearance.

Automotive alternator slip ring. Just google slip rings. You'll see other application variations.