Shedd Vane Table

Louis Luu

Just now, Russ Huber said:

Automotive alternator slip ring. Just google slip rings. You'll see other application variations.

Thanks....I have some but think it would be too small for that.  That whole setup is stupid crazy simple...LOVE IT!  WHS emblem...neat.

8 minutes ago, Louis Luu said:

That pin system is crazy...this system/mechanism would not last very long once the tip is worn down.

miniature-thrust-bearing-1.jpg

8 minutes ago, Louis Luu said:

Thanks....I have some but think it would be too small for that. 

Slip ring set ups and size are all over the board. You need to scope them out.

2 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

miniature-thrust-bearing-1.jpg

That is what I was thinking.  Load bearing would withstand wearing a whole lot better.  I'm thinking the crescent extension is not very practical for large fans.  I would love to see this setup on a Porter No. 1 or 2.  With the crescent extension....this would be the perfect size.

Just now, Louis Luu said:

That is what I was thinking.  Load bearing would withstand wearing a whole lot better.  I'm thinking the crescent extension is not very practical for large fans.  I would love to see this setup on a Porter No. 1 or 2.  With the crescent extension....this would be the perfect size.

Thrust bearing.

1 minute ago, Russ Huber said:

Thrust bearing.

Oops messed up.  Thrust bearings is more practical then that pin setup.  How would you even balance that on the tip with a heavy fan on top?.....CRAZY!  Almost akin to balancing an elephant on a mouse?....both system would fail.

1 hour ago, Louis Luu said:

How would you even balance that on the tip with a heavy fan on top?.....CRAZY!  Almost akin to balancing an elephant on a mouse?....both system would fail.

The cupped on top post that is anchored to the bottom platform of the rotation unit above is inside a hardy cast sleeve with slip wings preventing the top rotational unit from tilt imbalance due to the fan motor weight above. That pointed pin on the top rotational unit resting on the cupped support post below allows the top rotational unit to rotate with minimal friction. Much needed for a device rotated by a small crescent vane and breeze. These things were marketed because they worked. The more you turn the crescent vane into the fans breeze, the faster it rotated.

US508710-drawings-page-2.png

3 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

The cupped on top post that is anchored to the bottom platform of the rotation unit above is inside a hardy cast sleeve with slip wings preventing the top rotational unit from tilt imbalance due to the fan motor weight above. That pointed pin on the top rotational unit resting on the cupped support post below allows the top rotational unit to rotate with minimal friction. Much needed for a device rotated by a small crescent vane and breeze. These things were marketed because they worked. The more you turn the crescent vane into the fans breeze, the faster it rotated.

Hard to believe.  I will have to test this out.  Lets design it as is without the modification.  I could print one out in metal and give it a try.

1 minute ago, Russ Huber said:

This patented boat anchor C-W did 360 spins on a small rod in the base.

unnamed (3).png

unnamed (4).png

unnamed (1).png

unnamed (2).png

I've seen that.  Can't figure out the mechanics.  Clearly it does exist....but who has one?  That would be another dream fan.

11 minutes ago, Louis Luu said:

I've seen that.  Can't figure out the mechanics.  Clearly it does exist....but who has one?  That would be another dream fan.

Wheeler clearly states in patent description they took the offset 360 rotating fan motor principle from a 90 Polk patent.

unnamed (5).png

C-W Revolver 1892.bmp

unnamed (3).png

Edited by Russ Huber

3 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

Wheeler clearly states in patent description they took the offset 360 rotating fan motor principle from a 90 Polk patent.

unnamed (5).png

C-W Revolver 1892.bmp

unnamed (3).png

That Polk fan looks pretty neat....I've already bought some gears a couple weeks back to cobble one together and give it a try.

On 6/11/2022 at 8:04 PM, Russ Huber said:

The dip is to shift the center of gravity so the pin can balance.  What I don't quite understand is how would this work when the fan sits on top?  Would the center of gravity shift with a heavy fan on top?