What on Earth am I looking at?!?!?! I need the big brains to weigh in.

Steve Butler

14 minutes ago, Jim Henderson said:

Steve.I'd save my money and spend it at my tables at FF.

No no no Jim.  I’m recouping my money by selling you all my junk.  

5 hours ago, Steve Butler said:

Thanks Alberto!  At least it appears to have started out as an actual fan.  Obviously I will never find a base in ten lifetimes. What’s the consensus?  Do I go ahead, make an offer, and kill nine hours to get it?   Not like I haven’t done that numerous times in the past to get good stuff. Your options are welcomed.   

Buy it and leave it as is

If it is closer to me I will pick it up for you

3 hours ago, Jim Roadt said:

Buy it and leave it as is

If it is closer to me I will pick it up for you

I appreciate the offer, no where close to you.   We’re picking it up Sunday.  See you at FF. 👍

Awesome Mel, thanks so much!  Russ thought the tag from Alberto’s picture said Boston Massachusetts.  When I read that I thought to myself that’s where my Carletons were made.  Is there any switch?  Can you take a picture of the underside of the base?  Thanks again.   I’m picking it up tomorrow.  👍  The only way I find Carletons is in sad shape.  It can join the family.  

9DAC2CDB-6CA2-4CDB-94EC-3444312748BF.jpeg

Edited by Steve Butler
  • Like 1

image.thumb.jpeg.c7d00f4e259ffb22a258a6e6cee3187f.jpeg
Here is the underside.  Mounting holes in the porcelain for a wooden base; I suspect with a single speed exterior switch that I am missing. 

• Like 1

The porcelain explains why the base is missing.  I wouldn’t be surprised if it was just a plug and run fan without a switch unless there’s an extra hole.  There doesn’t appear to be a notch in the bottom of the base for the power cord to go in.  Thanks again Mel for solving the mystery!  

1 hour ago, Mel Lagarde said:

image.thumb.jpeg.c7d00f4e259ffb22a258a6e6cee3187f.jpeg
Here is the underside.  Mounting holes in the porcelain for a wooden base; I suspect with a single speed exterior switch that I am missing. 

Mel...this is the first time I have seen a US fan with a ceramic base.  Very interesting indeed.  I know plastic and metal printing technology has come along and people having been trying to print ceramic but is much more difficult due to shrinkage.  I've been looking into printed Sintered Silicon Carbide as a possible alternative to some of my projects.  Very nice fan.

Steve, you fan....I would leave it alone.  It has character.

7 minutes ago, Louis Luu said:

Steve, you fan....I would leave it alone.  It has character.

I’m impressed someone thought enough of the fan to make a base instead of throwing it away.  Definitely a different time.   I’m not going to do anything with it other than display it at FF.  

• Like 1

Does anyone have any history on these little fans?   It runs at a very pleasant speed at 110 V.  Strange for a fan so small  

The first Carlton was called The Liberty. It was a ball motor, 8”, with an American flag badge. I think it dates 1916-1917. Next the name was changed to Carlton. This one is bipolar, so probably dates 1900-1915.

Steve Rockwell and I previously both found evidence to connect Carleton to the "Zephyr" fan. Neither of us could trace it back prior to 1911, so neither of us posted the connection. 1911 manufacture?

Look under "Fans, Motor" on page 50 when you open up the 11 book link below.

Electrical Record - Google Books

Edited by Russ Huber

Nothing in electrical trade on the Carleton Zephyr fan so far prior to mention of the Zephyr(no images) in 11. Unreal.

Carleton Six-Inch Bracket Fan - Pre-1950 (Antique) - Antique Fan Collectors Association - AFCA Forums

Electrical Review and Western Electrician with which is Consolidated Electr... - Google Books

content (2).jpg

Carleton16.png

Edited by Russ Huber

Is it an 02 Zephry from Tideman? He's shaking in 02 with the suicide of his prez. He also shipped his fish fan out east to NY for Vance Electric a few years [prior. thanks to Russ. The base on Nolti's fan makes me think Menominee. Carlton wouldn't be doing fans this early.. Here we go...........will this be my first successful post? I say no...

9 minutes ago, Loren Haroldson said:

Is it a 02 Zephyr from Tideman? He's shaking in 02 with the suicide of his prez. He also shipped his fish fan out east to NY for Vance Electric a few years [prior. thanks to Russ. The base on Nolti's fan makes me think Menominee. Carlton wouldn't be doing fans this early.. Here we go...........will this be my first successful post? I say no...

Hey Loren!  Good to see you post! This Carleton fan could fool some of the best, it looks 19th century, but the Carlton Zephyr is mentioned in 1911 electrical trade. 

Here is the Menominee Zephyr introduced to the market in 02 in the image below. It is stated in 02 electrical trade John W. Brooks of Chicago was the sole agency for the Zephyr fan motor. 

Zephyr.jpg

On 6/24/2022 at 3:03 PM, Steve Butler said:

Last week was our 32 anniversary.   For our 28th we drove to Detroit to pick up a Trojan.  She’s a keeper.

Screenshot_20220629-213731_Chrome.jpg.b8af67a5e64dd4ec29c357eafd3b62b0.jpg

Clarification, Steve...  wondering.gif.cc36e3c18b14fb702e579652a8a347b2.gif
She, Donna,... I hope.  Thumbup.gif.e4377904d340a797b02acea1c51f0865.gif

I was able to get the tiny little Carleton picked up Sunday. I knew it was small but it’s size still surprised me.    I will be bringing it to FF for display.  It appears to have oil cups front and back.  Someone did a nice job on the base.  

264888B1-10EA-4E8F-B7FF-EFDE5A21E64A.jpeg

C2CC6E6E-04BD-4A7C-A660-4B8474F5B599.jpeg

3BB2CB71-96FE-4521-BDE6-878D5E89F238.jpeg

49623D13-5896-4773-A670-0E648BF04143.jpeg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jim Kovar said:

Screenshot_20220629-213731_Chrome.jpg.b8af67a5e64dd4ec29c357eafd3b62b0.jpg

Clarification, Steve...  wondering.gif.cc36e3c18b14fb702e579652a8a347b2.gif
She, Donna,... I hope.  Thumbup.gif.e4377904d340a797b02acea1c51f0865.gif

Of course I was talking about the fan but Donna is ok too.  

• Haha 1