VARIAC ALTERNATIVE ??

Roger Borg

Looking for an inconspicuous way to lower line voltage to 104 for a centrifugal start fan.

Is there anything small I can conceal in the base, or otherwise anything small I can put on the plug at the outlet?

Short of the aforementioned, what types of variacs are recommended? Thanks...

I had read that previously, but was uncertain if anything akin to a bridge rectifier for DC fans, ie something small and inconspicuous, was commonly used for 104v. Thanks...

Edit:  Roger, I removed what I posted after taking a closer look at shipping etc.  Try searching the web for the best bang for your buck on a step down 120 VAC to 100-104 VAC 300+ watt transformer.

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 1

On 7/3/2022 at 9:43 PM, Roger Borg said:

Looking for an inconspicuous way to lower line voltage to 104 for a centrifugal start fan.

Is there anything small I can conceal in the base, or otherwise anything small I can put on the plug at the outlet?

Short of the aforementioned, what types of variacs are recommended? Thanks...

I have a couple of these. Can't see exact number though you could put it on a kill a watt and mark on the dial where 104v is. 

BN-LINK Exhaust Fan Speed Controller Variable 3 Speed Ceiling Vent Fan Control Adjuster Cordless for Duct Inline Fan Vent Blower Controller Wireless for Ventilation Fans 4.8A / 600W https://a.co/d/bQWA9AX

21 hours ago, Trevor Andersen said:

I have a couple of these. Can't see exact number though you could put it on a kill a watt and mark on the dial where 104v is. 

BN-LINK Exhaust Fan Speed Controller Variable 3 Speed Ceiling Vent Fan Control Adjuster Cordless for Duct Inline Fan Vent Blower Controller Wireless for Ventilation Fans 4.8A / 600W https://a.co/d/bQWA9AX

Hi Trevor-

This seems useful. After reading the description it appears that it adjusts to three distinct stepped speeds: high, med, low. 

Is that what you observe, or is it infinitely adjustable through the dial? Meaning g can i dial it in to exactly 104 somewhere on the dial, or do i just have to cross my fingers that is one of the 3 speeds?

I can put a killawatt on it to see, just figured I'd ask before I purchase.

Thanks...

You can simply set a meter to AC voltage and put the two meter probes to the hot and common exiting the speed control to measure the voltage on medium speed + if it dials in like a variac. 

Edited by Russ Huber

14 hours ago, Roger Borg said:

Hi Trevor-

This seems useful. After reading the description it appears that it adjusts to three distinct stepped speeds: high, med, low. 

Is that what you observe, or is it infinitely adjustable through the dial? Meaning g can i dial it in to exactly 104 somewhere on the dial, or do i just have to cross my fingers that is one of the 3 speeds?

I can put a killawatt on it to see, just figured I'd ask before I purchase.

Thanks...

It is fully variable speed. The low med and high are just ranges for reference not distinct speeds. The dial works just like a dimmer switch.

28 minutes ago, Roger Borg said:

Wow, good to know, I'll give one a try.

Thanks...

Here's a video i just made with what I had around to test, a 28646 I just picked up. 

Edited by Trevor Andersen
  • Like 1

I've been warned about some controllers chopping up the AC.

I know little about how to test if that is the case. Last thing I want to do is damage a bucket list fan.

Any links to read up on this topic would be appreciated. 

SECONDLY, assuming I pony up the extra dough for a proper variac, can the community make suggestions on a reasonably priced quality model.

I'm not looking for anything other than dialing down to 104v, ie not changing hz.

Thanks...

Roger, FWIW....with your 104-volt fan you can have a voltage deviation of 5 to 10 volts with little worry. I think a 5 to 6 % voltage deviation is the recommendation.

Is there something about those transformers I posted above that bothers you? I am not pushing them on you, just wondering. They are step up/down transformers. 100 volts + or - a tad will operate your 104 volt fan within reason. 

Variable transformers (variacs) can be found on ebay or second hand on some websites. 2.5 amp rating+ 0-120 should do the job safely. I purchased one on ebay years ago that was removed from a device, installed it in a decorative wooden box to operate a 100 VAC Tesla fan motor.

unnamed (1).png

unnamed.png

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 1

I have always used VARIACs, POWER STATS, etc - - they look cool! I collect them. I have fans with bad switches as well.

VARIAC 10A.jpg

VARIAC missing fuse holder.JPG

Variac 39 bucks.JPG

Westy Counter Fan On 10 AMP VARIAC.jpg

VARIACS POWERSTATS.jpg

Adjust A Volt Test.jpg

Adjust-A-Volt Transformer.jpg

OHMITE transformer 3.jpg

OHMITE transformer.jpg

I've been wanting to build a few inconspicuous "wall wart"-style buck transformers for our fans that drop 120V line voltage to about 100-104V.  I need to do some math and source some small but powerful-enough transformers and CAD something up to 3D print.  I definitely agree with the OP as to the value of a clean sine output.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2022 at 1:34 PM, Russ Huber said:

Roger, FWIW....with your 104-volt fan you can have a voltage deviation of 5 to 10 volts with little worry. I think a 5 to 6 % voltage deviation is the recommendation.

Is there something about those transformers I posted above that bothers you? I am not pushing them on you, just wondering. They are step up/down transformers. 100 volts + or - a tad will operate your 104 volt fan within reason. 

Variable transformers (variacs) can be found on ebay or second hand on some websites. 2.5 amp rating+ 0-120 should do the job safely. I purchased one on ebay years ago that was removed from a device, installed it in a decorative wooden box to operate a 100 VAC Tesla fan motor.

unnamed (1).png

unnamed.png

That's a cool looking variac. I'm running a more mundane one myself on my 1906 cake.

5 hours ago, Paul Khoury said:

That's a cool looking variac. I'm running a more mundane one myself on my 1906 cake.

I had the wooden platform for the box in my stash.  I actually got the box with hardware on it at Hobby Lobby for peanuts. Hobby Lobby has the raw wooden plaques as well. Ebay has variacs of various sizes and amperage ratings.  The variac you seek for this type of application is one that has be removed from a device.  2.5 amp up to 5 amp examples are smaller and in the safe zone for a desk fan. I put an inline fuse for added protection.  I use Dark Walnut and Mahagony stains for the wood, at times mixing then. The brass plate on top of the box I had precut at a Trophy shop in my area. It had a peel away sticky back on one side. The funky colors you see on the brass plate were created by dipping the brass plate in saline solution and putting it in an ammonia vapor chamber. The attempt was to patina the brass artificially.  I came across the effect totally by surprise, as the chemicals in the glue sticky back created the funky swirl effect colors in the ammonia chamber.

TeslaVariac.png

1187757866_unnamed(1).png.2f78553f1253f80f041cf56e5ec5dfe9.png

Edited by Russ Huber

Wooden plaque from Hobby Lobby. A mix of Dark Walnut and Mahagony stains later varnished. The decorative metalwork under the motor from a Trophy shop. These are things for those who have a tight budget can do just as good as the more privileged folks can do. 

EmMotor3.png

On 7/15/2022 at 10:04 AM, Russ Huber said:

I had the wooden platform for the box in my stash.  I actually got the box with hardware on it at Hobby Lobby for peanuts. Hobby Lobby has the raw wooden plaques as well. Ebay has variacs of various sizes and amperage ratings.  The variac you seek for this type of application is one that has be removed from a device.  2.5 amp up to 5 amp examples are smaller and in the safe zone for a desk fan. I put an inline fuse for added protection.  I use Dark Walnut and Mahagony stains for the wood, at times mixing then. The brass plate on top of the box I had precut at a Trophy shop in my area. It had a peel away sticky back on one side. The funky colors you see on the brass plate were created by dipping the brass plate in saline solution and putting it in an ammonia vapor chamber. The attempt was to patina the brass artificially.  I came across the effect totally by surprise, as the chemicals in the glue sticky back created the funky swirl effect colors in the ammonia chamber.

TeslaVariac.png

1187757866_unnamed(1).png.2f78553f1253f80f041cf56e5ec5dfe9.png

Aha. I didn't see the brass plate at first, and then realized that's brass, not just stained wood. That box is still very attractive looking, for being something new, from Hobby Lobby. One opened up literally at the start of COVID 30 miles away (I live rural), and I still haven't been in one yet. Might need to check it out.

That fan you have - is that a 16"  double stack pancake?

30 minutes ago, Paul Khoury said:

That fan you have - is that a 16"  double stack pancake?

At times, Rust never sleeps.  Spend time studying vintage/antique fans on the old forum. No 16" Tesla patented fan motor AC.

unnamed (14).png

Teslarestore2.jpg

Teslarestore3.jpg

Teslarestore4.jpg

TeslaVariac.png.0322d0af58676cdca6d99cd9bb283b7c.png

• Like 1