Super Root Beer/ Vintage Gold Emerson 19666 Near Completion

Russ Huber

A member is interested in one of my box projects, so I thought I would share it as is. The blade brass needs more buffing/rubbing TLC. It is a 17 transitional model being cast hub, brass & brass, stamped badge over lead. To really appreciate the Super Root Beer finish you need to see it in the flesh. With Super Root Beer the more exposed brass, the better. I just buffed out the tag. Cast hub, rotor, and base detailing is Vintage Gold finish.

IMG_2412.JPG

IMG_2414.JPG

IMG_2416.JPG

IMG_2417.JPG

IMG_2418.JPG

IMG_2420.JPG

IMG_2419.JPG

IMG_2423.JPG

IMG_2434.JPG

IMG_2437.JPG

IMG_2444.JPG

IMG_2446.JPG

IMG_2431.JPG

IMG_2442.JPG

• Like 7

Thank you. One of the biggest pains is masking off the blade hub for multiple coats of the Vintage Gold for this project. I can't say enough on how the Super Root Beer powder coat pops. Pictures don't do it justice.

I have been in contact with a member to sell as is. So sorry if I don't take it all the way. I like the idea of shipping it in individual parts. Safer that way. 

ItemImage-790294-q5x4fo-4f1v68-lxfwi.jpg

If you do powder coat, make sure you understand all that need be done masking the parts for seam fit and thread hole plugs. One mistake and you will have a headache.

I do all my own prep. work prior to turning it over to a powder coater.

Example: I have a roll of heat tape for powder coat purpose. If I did not mask off the 4 stator contact surfaces, it would not go back into the housing. Anyone the has dealt with powder coat, it is d amn near bullet proof stubborn to remove.

IMG_2423.JPG

11 minutes ago, Bill Dunlap said:

I bought one of Russ's box projects in the super root beer. Love it. He does all the heavy lifting for you.

Cheers,

Bill

Appreciate it, Bill. All one has to do with this example is competently put it together and it is ready to Rock & Roll. 

Edited by Russ Huber

2 hours ago, Tony Clayton said:

Where is the Root Beer Tank hiding Russ ?

You're chomping on the bit for that one aren't ja?  It is in a box coated in Root Beer with your fine green head wire safe and sound coiled in a plastic bag on top. You just keep eating your Wheaties every morning and with a stroke of luck I get to it before one or the other is 6 feet under.  🙂

• Like 1

I forgot images focusing on the stator and switch.  The stator was thoroughly cleaned in mineral spirits, left to dry, and then given a heavy spray insulating varnish.

The switch body in past was fractured into 3 large sections, and 2 small pieces. This is more common than you may think. A previous owner made a lame attempt to glue the switch body back together with some goop without detaching and disassembling the switch. There were gaps between the fractures and the switch body was uneven. I removed the switch and totally disassembled it. I soaked the glued switch body alone in Acetone for a day to break down and remove the old glue. After thoroughly cleaning the switch body sections now free of any glue, I carefully bonded them back together with tight fit using a tested super bonder made by JB weld. Once the switch body was bonded together, I snugged a large hose clamp around the bonded switch body and let it dry and cure for 2 days. 1 day would have been sufficient. It is now solid as a rock.

In order to remove the switch lever to the buffing wheel,  I had to drill out its brass rivet anchor. I simply replaced it with the correct size brass threaded screw with brass washer and nut. You simply snug it down so the switch lever travels with proper tension. Once proper tension is achieved, you add some solder to the nut/screw to lock its position. 

IMG_2426.JPG

IMG_2428.JPG

jbweldcom_849709439.jpg

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 1

The nice thing about a conscientious switch body repair.....it is inside the base....out of sight......out of mind, if you do a conscientious job repairing it. 🙂

The last image shows the hose clamp used to snug the switch body while the bonding agent cures.

IMG_2447.JPG

IMG_2450.JPG

IMG_2448.JPG

IMG_2452.JPG

IMG_2454.JPG

IMG_2455.JPG

IMG_2456.JPG

IMG_2457.JPG

IMG_2461.JPG

• Like 1

Nice work Russ! I do the same thing with my broken plates. If I may add, sometimes little pieces of ceramic is missing. I "build" it back up with super glue and a cyanoacrylate accelerator. 

10 minutes ago, Patrick Ray said:

If I may add, sometimes little pieces of ceramic is missing. I "build" it back up with super glue and a cyanoacrylate accelerator. 

Fan 1 087.jpg

Fan 1 062.jpg

Fan 1 073.jpg

Fan 1 077.jpg

Fan 1 079.jpg

The secret to doing a top notch restoration is skills earned and your conscience. Would YOU sell/give YOU what YOU are restoring and be able to live with yourself? Think about it. 🙂 

I never think my work is good enough. That helps you set your goals higher.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Russ Huber said:

You're chomping on the bit for that one aren't ja?  It is in a box coated in Root Beer with your fine green head wire safe and sound coiled in a plastic bag on top. You just keep eating your Wheaties every morning and with a stroke of luck I get to it before one or the other is 6 feet under.  🙂

Absolutely almost chompped thu that bit. I'm gonna hold you to it brother 😉

• 2 months later...

Russ’ box project (Emerson 19666) he sent me exceeded my expectations. All the parts were packed carefully and labeled. It was a real pleasure putting the fan together. Russ did all the hard work, polishing, powder coating, restoring the switch, painting the hub and rotor, the list goes on. All I had to do was a little soldering and the fun part, putting it together. Since the brass was all polished I decided to lacquer all the brass. It was my first time lacquering the brass on a fan. I like a nice patina but this fan for me needed to be all dressed up and shiny. 

big thanks Russ!

3989C60C-899C-4E8A-ACC6-1C69661D1D0D.jpeg

A30692C7-67C3-4B64-86F4-32B37EFA2420.jpeg

D7A47899-98F6-428B-B69C-8BCA11A81B28.jpeg

0B19442C-B853-47AB-9246-D83FF81044A0.jpeg

D164FFBA-BA6F-4300-9C55-F9E28F8A48FD.jpeg

• Like 4