Super Root Beer/ Vintage Gold Emerson 19666 Near Completion

Russ Huber

46 minutes ago, Paul Carmody said:

I haven’t tried the SuperWeld before.

Thanks to all for the kind words. John gets a bigger pat.

I picked one of 2 powder coaters in my area for this project because the coater is shoots correct thickness, nice an even. The other is cheaper, but more careless with powder application.

I have tried after cure time with both hands to break the repairs on the switch body. That JB crap is strong and snugging it after gluing it in a hose clamp to cure is wise.

Those super glues preserve better refrigerated just for a tip.

IMG_2461.thumb.JPG.3a17c3d5f754bb0d55c9583d9a99abfc.jpg

• Like 1

John, possession is 9/10ths of the law, but I have studied a picture of yours an see where I could have done better. Those defined lines on the trunnion casting, especially the center casting standout I think would look great with gold stripe. There can be a fine line between just right and overkill. The sign painter I use that did the base stripes puts a quality yellow paint under the gold. The paint adheres better this way. I instructed him to use the rattle can gold pictured above over the yellow. His gold is not as intense. There is no clear coat, so don't get rubbing too aggressively. Your call.

A30692C7-67C3-4B64-86F4-32B37EFA2420.thumb.jpeg.965aa3656a9d0b0728729af78cfa4a10.jpeg

As soon as I get my fans back from powder coat, I throw on a coat of wax. I've noticed when I haven't done that, I'll have fine marks from reassembly. Polish and wax does help to remove the fine marks, but waxing it prior to reassembly gives it a great protective layer. Plus finger prints come right off. 

31 minutes ago, Patrick Ray said:

As soon as I get my fans back from powder coat, I throw on a coat of wax. I've noticed when I haven't done that, I'll have fine marks from reassembly. Polish and wax does help to remove the fine marks, but waxing it prior to reassembly gives it a great protective layer. Plus finger prints come right off. 

Not only is this stuff kind of pricey, but it is also amazing how with some fine wet dry and some elbow grease you can remove a scratch from powder coat and bring back the luster. Recommended to me by a fussy powder coating business.

3mtm-finesse-ittm-ii-finishing-material-machine-polish-39003__21034.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/1/2022 at 12:41 PM, Russ Huber said:

You done did justice to it, John. Good on you!  I have more.

I’m interested if you have more 🙂

Thanks, John. Trust me, there's more. Really cold here now, I am not set up like I was in the past to restore. To buff, wire wheel, chemically clean, spray can stuff, etc., I would have to wait until things warm up a tad above freezing. 🙂 The garage is not heated. I appreciate your interest. 

• Thanks 1

I like it. I started out with this mix as a rootbeer but kept adding color and got this black cherry. I'm going to do my next 77xxx in a rootbeer I think.20211215_092558.jpg.86c702569cdc97814724bcd10446d030.thumb.jpg.f5ee398d44b6735182ca716f6347ef23.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Trevor Andersen said:

I like it. I started out with this mix as a rootbeer but kept adding color and got this black cherry. I'm going to do my next 77xxx in a rootbeer I think.20211215_092558.jpg.86c702569cdc97814724bcd10446d030.thumb.jpg.f5ee398d44b6735182ca716f6347ef23.jpg

That looks great

13 hours ago, Russ Huber said:

Thanks, John. Trust me, there's more. Really cold here now, I am not set up like I was in the past to restore. To buff, wire wheel, chemically clean, spray can stuff, etc., I would have to wait until things warm up a tad above freezing. 🙂 The garage is not heated. I appreciate your interest. 

I’m a patient guy. No worries. When the time is right. 

John, if you notice it appears Trevor is using fiber washers between the Trunnion mounts and motor. FWIW.....those brass washers I included with your fan you have between the brass wing nut and trunnion mount were intended to go where Trevor has his fiber washers. I have done this in past as I dig the look, and the motor pivot friction on the finish against finish is reduced. If you choose to reposition them you will find it is a tad challenging to get the second brass washer snugged in along with holding the motor up with the other hand. Possession is 9/10ths of the law and you can put them anywhere you d amn please. Whatever trips your trigger.  🙂

20211215_092558.jpg.86c702569cdc97814724bcd10446d030.thumb.jpg.f5ee398d44b6735182ca716f6347ef23.jpg

A30692C7-67C3-4B64-86F4-32B37EFA2420.thumb.jpeg.965aa3656a9d0b0728729af78cfa4a10.jpeg.ee4589b5d6248cbefa2253a0c44654d7.jpeg

D7A47899-98F6-428B-B69C-8BCA11A81B28.thumb.jpeg.2f025c0f50d7fd8f40ee68a9b5087219.jpeg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Russ Huber said:

John, if you notice it appears Trevor is using fiber washers between the Trunnion mounts and motor. FWIW.....those brass washers I included with your fan you have between the brass wing nut and trunnion mount were intended to go where Trevor has his fiber washers. I have done this in past as I dig the look, and the motor pivot friction on the finish against finish is reduced. If you choose to reposition them you will find it is a tad challenging to get the second brass washer snugged in along with holding the motor up with the other hand. Possession is 9/10ths of the law and you can put them anywhere you d amn please. Whatever trips your trigger.  🙂

I should swap in brass. I actually forgot I hadn't changed them and was just going to be temporary until I got some kind of dark plastic or metal washer. Do you happen to remember the diameters on what you used?

5 hours ago, Trevor Andersen said:

I should swap in brass. I actually forgot I hadn't changed them and was just going to be temporary until I got some kind of dark plastic or metal washer. Do you happen to remember the diameters on what you used?

The brass washer is 7/8" OD - 3/8" ID.  There is something I failed to mention that needs attention. The washers I have are 1/16" thick. Taking them to a buffing wheel using a pair of pliers with heat shrink over the jaws and a deep cut rouge will take away any of the sharp edges, and thin them out a tad. Some cast trunnions offer more space between motor spacing, some are tighter tolerance. Adding the first washer is gravy, slipping in the second washer will be a tighter fit. You are the judge if it is too tight overextending your trunnion. Both washers add an additional 1/8" trunnion expansion as is unless they are thinned.  If they fit, or are thinned to fit, they offer a polished brass separation line pleasing to the eye.

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2