Emerson 2210

Louis Luu

Picked up this Emerson.  Never owned one of these before.  I have been dying to study the gear mechanism on this thing for awhile.  I was told it is a first generation oscillating fan from Emerson?

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.4f1f954ac57b4c78a7fc46365e8dca90.jpg

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.43ef24f86714574b3bc2d5a0ee3b82c1.jpg

Edited by Louis Luu
  • Like 1

Yes there is a 'dogbone' shaped link that is placed between the two shoulder screws.  That ties the wheel to the link arm.  

These are not the smoothest running oscillators hence the name first generation.  

Dan H.

1 minute ago, Dan Hilton said:

Yes there is a 'dogbone' shaped link that is placed between the two shoulder screws.  That ties the wheel to the link arm.  

These are not the smoothest running oscillators hence the name first generation.  

Dan H.

As long as it is not Pot metal gearbox...I'll learn to love it.

What makes these not smooth oscillating?  Is it binding somewhere?

There are just a lot of wear points that cause the mech to get sloppy over time.  If every bearing surface is re-bushed then they run great but there are a lot of bearing surfaces including in the  links themselves.  It's a good gearbox, just not their best.

Dan H.

1 minute ago, Phillip Scott said:

Excellent response Louis. 

Russ's linked the pictures.  I simply grabbed them and posted them here for reference.

I'll be picking up the fan this weekend and will crack it open to study the gears.  Looks like 3 gears with two of them stacked.

I have seen one of these fans where every connection was rebuilt to factory specs. When so done, and lubed at each wear point, the oscillation was as smooth as  a nearly new 77XXX model.   Hey Louis, there is a demand to some extent for those gears, to complete a number of old stumps. Those gears will run  Trojan 52 & 54 serise oscillators as well though the linkage set-up may be angled differently.  Great pick-up. I reached out to the seller who is going thru some tough times. Glad the fan wound up in your hands.

15 minutes ago, Geoff Dunaway said:

I have seen one of these fans where every connection was rebuilt to factory specs. When so done, and lubed at each wear point, the oscillation was as smooth as  a nearly new 77XXX model.   Hey Louis, there is a demand to some extent for those gears, to complete a number of old stumps. Those gears will run  Trojan 52 & 54 serise oscillators as well though the linkage set-up may be angled differently.  Great pick-up. I reached out to the seller who is going thru some tough times. Glad the fan wound up in your hands.

I've talked to him as well.  Seem really nice.  I will see what I can do about the gears.

17 hours ago, Louis Luu said:

image.png.c2bbf42a57009640f3eeb07a29ae2ab3.pngimage.png.668cf18c31df16a85ea14e124063f841.png

I'm studying the diagram and the box does not seem that complicated to draw up if needed.  I might make one so I can have all the holes with bushings to make it a smooth oscillator.

On 9/14/2022 at 5:41 AM, Louis Luu said:

Picked up this Emerson.  Never owned one of these before.  I have been dying to study the gear mechanism on this thing for awhile.  I was told it is a first generation oscillating fan from Emerson?

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.4f1f954ac57b4c78a7fc46365e8dca90.jpg

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.43ef24f86714574b3bc2d5a0ee3b82c1.jpg

Hey Louis,

I was thinking about buying this fan as I live close to the seller. Are you in the LA area? I’m trying to find members and enthusiasts in SoCal and possibly organize a meet. 

thanks,
Jon

4 hours ago, Jon Kovach said:

Hey Louis,

I was thinking about buying this fan as I live close to the seller. Are you in the LA area? I’m trying to find members and enthusiasts in SoCal and possibly organize a meet. 

thanks,
Jon

I live in the inland empire area.

Pretty sure that the gear screws onto the shaft, otherwise don't think U could get the rotor out of the back motor housing. BTW, I have a 16" Trojan fan stump  that would be glad to serve as a loaner to help U get this project off & running until you can find a keeper. Gearbox should be same for both.

1 hour ago, Geoff Dunaway said:

Pretty sure that the gear screws onto the shaft, otherwise don't think U could get the rotor out of the back motor housing. BTW, I have a 16" Trojan fan stump  that would be glad to serve as a loaner to help U get this project off & running until you can find a keeper. Gearbox should be same for both.

Thanks Geoff.  Let me get the collar oscillator project out the door first before I tackle this project.  Both projects are similar since the goal is to see if printed steel gears can be used as a viable source to get these older fans running again.

Not sure if Bravi's links will fit. The design of the gear box changed somewhere by the time it got to the 12xxx & 16xxx. Best to reach out to him to know for sure. 

• Thanks 1