Please Educate Me On The GE 6" Fan Series

Russ Huber

Despite restoring a few of these in past, I know very little about their history other than they came to market in 1924. I think I have that right? I recently picked up a series F. All the others I had were series G. How many series were there? Are the series models different?

Someone that knows, please educate me. Thanks.

• Like 1

Nobody in the GE world has in depth knowledge of these little mighty mouses? I messaged Steve Rockwell, but he must be busy, or doesn't like me anymore, or both.

Was it Sparky that named off about 5 of these series in the past, or was that some other fan? I honestly don't know Jack about them as to how they were marketed and how long.

I can access posts from the old forum using key words on Google. This new website does not allow access to posts with key words on the web. When the old website/forum goes down, not good. 

• Like 3

I have never seen the A1 before. Good to know. A few years ago, I pulled three of the G's from a trash can at one of the Fan Fairs. Nothing wrong with them at all. Probably more like nobody bought them and I guess their owner didn't feel like packing them home.

10 hours ago, Russ Huber said:

Was it Sparky that named off about 5 of these series in the past, or was that some other fan? I honestly don't know Jack about them as to how they were marketed and how long.

That was Polar cubs. Chronological order.....ECDGH. (Every Cold Day Gets Hot)

~Sparky~

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rod Rogers said:

That was Polar cubs. Chronological order.....ECDGH. (Every Cold Day Gets Hot)

~Sparky~

At least I had the number of them right. You keep on remembering that and stay above ground. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kim Frank said:

I have never seen the A1 before. Good to know. A few years ago, I pulled three of the G's from a trash can at one of the Fan Fairs. Nothing wrong with them at all. Probably more like nobody bought them and I guess their owner didn't feel like packing them home.

Ted Kaczor posted that image with the A1 in past. New to me as well. I have no idea what makes them different, if in fact they are?

Tossing them in the trash, hmmmm. In past I have seen those little Tasmanian devils pull as much as 3 Bens all dolled on ebay. My guess is the lady of the house sees them as "cute", until she plugged it in to 120 VAC. 🙂

16 hours ago, Russ Huber said:

When the old website/forum goes down, not good. 

I still grieve the dispatch
 of the old-old fan forum,
  ...the MyWowBB forum.

Sadly, lots of sage advice
       was forever lost.

Screenshot_20220924-150834_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c8fe0750a8b5e55cd175ce010b5f57db.jpg

Screenshot_20220924-150411_Chrome.thumb.jpg.4a94f4257d3ff101094fb2dbbbcad547.jpg

Screenshot_20220924-145946_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6c7b4d1eeded36e9237f3a081f7087fe.jpg

Edited by Jim Kovar

I have a H and a G slightly modified with half wave diode in the base.  Russ enlightened me on that process, It really calms them down! 

1.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

It is, definitely. (That bottom plate looks deep green to my eye) And the first issue in the series, as per Ted Kaczor's revelations from "INFORMATION NEEDED."  I've kept eyes peeled since his post in the Old Forum, and have only seen a single example for sale a while back...

If you can photograph a close-up of the monogram badge, it should highlight his point about A.1 having more pronounced background stippling (my green later G & H versions have little if any discernible)... 

Edited by Steve Rockwell

You're right, Steve, definitely green (the morning suns helps).  Looks like the rest of he fan was painted black at one point - they even painted the lower brass screw black.  Hard to tell in my last pic, but I can see the shift from black to green where the cone folds over the bottom plate.

IMG_7067.jpg.3cb4fe1f4962ec6278a2ae6a0e70256d.jpg

IMG_7068.jpg.528b1b930830d42ccdd297759fde6aaf.jpg

IMG_7069.jpg.d8e85da3efb7193a85a28abf664e2bf2.jpg

IMG_7070.jpg.7bfe2146d9e6b875983d8718947110fa.jpg

Edited by Jeff Lumsden

Another potential point of comparison would be the blade; all photos I've seen have the badge obscuring the hub...

Did you (hopefully) have the fan apart at some point, and snap pics?