Please Educate Me On The GE 6" Fan Series

Russ Huber

Some photos of a minty GE 6" Series G that I had.   I also had three others in the usual "used" condition.  Comparing how this nearly new one ran to the others was like night and day.  With unworn bearings this one coasted a lot longer than the others.  Note the green color of the original power cord with original GE branded plug.   The green cords seem to have faded to khaki color, what it usually seen on GE cords.

IMG_7869.JPG

IMG_7870.JPG

IMG_7871.JPG

IMG_7872.JPG

IMG_7873.JPG

IMG_7874.JPG

IMG_7875.JPG

IMG_7876.JPG

IMG_7877.JPG

IMG_7878.JPG

IMG_7879.JPG

IMG_7880.JPG

IMG_7881.JPG

IMG_7882.JPG

IMG_7883.JPG

• Like 2

image.png.c6a12233bc4ebcc73a9976294091cdfe.png

Look at the blade. Inspect the cage. Different hub. Different s-wires. Having good photos for comparison, particularly pics of a Type A.1, confirms the above as prototypes.....

Here's better hub detail imagery.

image.png.c2ce5493c14f19e5e6e3f651145667c1.png

Pretty much the same assembly method as employed here:

image.thumb.png.7e7631306aa7688ee41fc66052044912.png

Considering the Type A.1 photo shows a typical, single unit, the hub may have been an experimental test... seems like a bunch of effort for a display mock-up.....

Since viewing Ted Kaczor’s self-answered query of Mar 2016 —

https://afcaforum.com/forum1/46426.html      for secure connection

—which included introducting the Type A.1, I’ve hoped to find such a version; one appeared on eBay Oct 2018, and, more than my non-participation in eBay, my obsolete notion of fan values and unwillingness to raise the ante kept me out of the bidding… I have no memory what it went for, but haven’t seen a publicly-listed one go for less than two-hunge since that time…

image.png.fe7e5a48a9d92d4d9d6d557572bd4181.png

image.thumb.png.425c7f64431342a4d199f15e88e7131d.png

For right now, it's safe to conclude the GE six-inch fan was developed (only developed) in 1924, and first offered 1926.

image.thumb.png.c9c72396bd4c4dd06a7b26fc4b868b6a.png

image.png.5e5571b2af3136b9516972275f437737.png

I searched with reasonable diligence for 1925 GE fan info. I found fan pages excerpted from a general catalog, which did not depict the six-inch fan. That absence is not conclusive proof, but definitely suggestive of 1926 being year of general introduction. The 1926 Catalog states the 6-inch fan is “new”.  While that nomenclature should be taken with a ton of salt where advertising copy is concerned, it may well be an accurate description… what would be key is to find better and specific 1925 GE fan production info.

A curious aside… the fan appears to have been developed 1924, so firstly: why did it not have subsequent immediate release? (again, 1925); secondly: the fan was given catalog number 272107, which is consistent— as a “spec.” designation— with 1925. Only one other fan has a 272xxx catalog number in 1926, the bracket fan which came out at that time. Very common catalog numbers that year (1926) are 259xxx, and earlier designations such as 34017 and 75423 remain. Mike Mirin posted a compendium of GE schematics with parts lists in the Old Forum's INFO section, included in which is a really useful index of spec. numbers, and you'll observe how the vast majority of spec.s begin with 272...

You can access the 1926 catalog here:

https://new.afcaforum.com/index.php?/topic/592-general-electric-bulletins-instruction-sheets-price-lists-catalogs-1895-1892/#comment-3406

Historically, 1925 was a year with a substantial business slump (and the journals write of a “bad” fan year), so did that even possibly factor in to a delay? Perhaps complete development and readiness for production simply required more time… and the model was given its spec. number as a designation… ?

So, TOTAL spitballing, perhaps the A.1 decimal is AE1, which they just didn’t bother employing for 1926 cataloguing (to avoid confusion with 1925 production, if indeed these fans weren’t offered until 1926); whatever the explanation for the decimal, F Series would then correspond with the 1927 Form AF fans, then G & H series just logically followed with bottom-of-the-line fans which weren’t worth even a tag… The last pertinent catalog I’ve viewed is 1930, and they could simply that year have been selling off the remaining fans already manufactured, while moving on to bigger and better developments (over-lapping blades for instance, the stylish decorative quiet fan)— I have no knowledge whether the six-inch fans were offered 1931…

Another curious thing about these designations, which perhaps bears out my speculation— am endlessly speculating about GE production— is that the first one, A.1 is a Type, whereas the others are self-designated as parts of the Series… possibly their initial inclination was to go A.1, A.2, et cetera, but they changed up… But maybe it was their intention to make the letter correspond to the distinguishing letter of the Form types of same-year production… (I’ve never sighted Form AG nor Form AH, and the Theory Dept. will have to get busy on that inconsistentcy)

Muddy enough? Perhaps it all ends up being rubbish, but it is a sincere effort to make some kind of sense…..

Anybody have photos of the insides of one?

Edited by Steve Rockwell

When modern photographs become available, here's the earliest version to which they should be compared:

image.thumb.png.ccf29710250e164bd4b1d8a695b99d7f.png

Note--- underside ventilation to the motor frame; motor frame single piece, not separable; hub/blade configuration; s-wires dissimilar to typical GE; plug duplicate of Steve Stephens' original... I wonder if that blade construction was expediency or an attempt at novel construction...

Would be worth comparing production-model stator and rotor to these, eh?