DeMott Bipolar Fan

Louis Luu

Price...have no idea.  I just want 4 for myself keep on the shelf.  The hard work involves CAD...that is done for free because I enjoy it as well as making the wax mold which I don't enjoy but it helps cut the cost quite a bit.  The cost will mostly be due to getting the materials (casting, magnet wires, brass blade).  The cost of winding and having the blade winged is not done by me as I don't have the talent to do those.  I will need to trade for service and keep the price down as much as possible.  The goal is to have these for a reasonable price.

Edited by Louis Luu

2 hours ago, George Durbin said:

What will be the price of these cool pieces!

As usual...George you get a tremendous discount. Just don't make watches/clock/belt buckles out of them please.

Edited by Louis Luu
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, George Durbin said:

What will be the price of these cool pieces!

Word on the street is...

Louis will sell 'em below
his cost,*...

*  But will make it up in
    volume of sales.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jim Kovar said:

Word on the street is...

his cost,*...

volume of sales.

I'll most probably make between 20 to 30 motor casting.  Keeping 4 for myself.  The funds I get from the sale will go fund my other hobby...geissler rotators.  I already bought the brass square rods and ready to make the tube holder.

If someone can figure out how to mount the tubes on top of the rotating mechanism and have it work...I would just be astounded.

Just sent out for printing.  Since this will be used for testing purposes, I removed the bulk of the materials to save on cost.  Once item arrive, I will head on over to ACE hardware to get some cheap belts and rubber O-ring for the tracking wheel.  The main shaft will be hook up to a dremel to run and test for alignment.  Once I make final adjustments, the real print will be sent out and from there, sand/prime/enamel paint to smooth and make the mold for casting.  Final print will be enlarge 2% larger to adjust for shrinkage during casting.

image.png.bf9d73fa6355a4746664c3ca9347f0a3.png

Edited by Louis Luu

• 4 weeks later...

Alignment is good.  I tested the pulley alignment by wrapping a speaker wire around and pulled...the wheel moves easily.  The bulk of the material was removed for testing for the alignment.  I will need to print the whole thing, sand, prime, paint then make the mold.  The size of the motor is about the size of a coke can without the base.

7.thumb.jpg.03f466f0a87629d33e0ba585acc792f2.jpg6.thumb.jpg.f4b77b0906e5c8ba895d636e304aeb55.jpg5.thumb.jpg.0cae4c3a933db0cc4a907721b4b71463.jpg4.thumb.jpg.3e4c44067f0a501877b9b77e664cf3cb.jpg3.thumb.jpg.13846e2b0b9a36432f3f5f9085d8b9fe.jpg2.thumb.jpg.e89c9a9ac411349a89828e01ebc71809.jpg1.thumb.jpg.9e1740b63611da82fb738431fbbd529e.jpg

Edited by Louis Luu
  • Like 1

Dude, hell yea.  This is gonna be sweet!  You said your going to be making molds.  Gonna be casting it yourself?  Got a foundry that can do it for you?  What are you going to make it out of?  

Mark

2 minutes ago, Mark Wallin said:

Dude, hell yea.  This is gonna be sweet!  You said your going to be making molds.  Gonna be casting it yourself?  Got a foundry that can do it for you?  What are you going to make it out of?  

Mark

I make the lost wax mold and have it casted.  This saves tremendously on the cost.  The motor housing will be made out of ferrous metal.  This is needed for field coil winding.  The rest of the parts are small enough to be printed in brass.  I may change my mind and have those casted as well depending on the cost of printing.

5 hours ago, Lane Shirey said:

Dang, that’s cool!  I just might have to own one of those if it doesn’t break the bank. Nice work! 

I doubt it will break the bank.

• 6 months later...

I've had these two Porter Motor No. 2 for awhile.  They came without rotors and top plates.  These two will be great candidates to use for this project and the Max Rolle table.  I will draw the rotor and get it printed along with the commutator.  I already sourced the bearing and pulleys for the top portion for the DeMott.

image.thumb.png.be02c19733ad4ba1d6e4d85017f772a3.png

DeMott motor is back on track.

I found a stainless steel material with the magnetic property of cast iron.  The motor can be wound now.  In print!  I won't need to rely on a caster!

Edited by Louis Luu
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, George Durbin said:

Dang Louis!... This crap is cool!!

You have no idea how excited I am!  This opens up so many possibilities...them geissler rotators!!!!!

Prototyping has always been expensive.  I'm pretty sure most people know that along with the risk.  I will be printing each part of the DeMott each month.  By years end, I should have the whole thing.  I need a running model before I start thinking about mass producing these.  I have to figure out the bugs.  I have decided to use bronze flange bearings to ease with reducing  friction for the pulleys.  The top part will be printed in brass.  I ill spend considerable time smoothing out my draft.  The DeMott motor is in draft mode...I always do a draft before smoothing it out.  It takes a few days for my computer to smooth everything out once I set the geometry and calculations.

image.thumb.png.8a6db44620531af84d22cb2bf94fc469.png

On 12/1/2021 at 3:55 PM, Jim Kovar said:

Word on the street is...

his cost,*...

volume of sales.

We used to sell watermelons just like that! Bought them for $2 and sold them for $1...  we was losing our asses! Grandpa said we just needed a bigger truck and volume sales is the secret to make $$ !!!!!!

• Haha 2

I have decided to head down this road for future projects and will use less casting as I believe this is where manufacturing will progress.  Price is high now, but with all new technologies, the price will eventually come down so I am investing my time in CAD.  As for the mini-lollipop project, the same holds true.  Prototype must first be made to prove it works and work out the bugs.  For those who have email me about the mini-lollipop...please be patient while I work through my prototypes.  Also, the company is testing out new materials.  I am waiting for new materials to be approved and cost will be more reasonable.

For those who have been following the back and forth between me and another member....asking about why it takes so long for me to finish my projects.  Do realize this is a hobby for me.  I do have a regular job.  I do like to help people and do it for free for some...there are some really nice folks in the AFCA.   Then there are folks who are driven by other interest.  My interest has always been for fun.  If I were to plan this as a money venture, I would be broke.

For example, I made the Gilbert Pen holders because several members wanted them.  I made them but no one bought.  Did I complain, no.  I went ahead and spent my own time and money.  I even bought a set for David Cherry for lending me the original to draw.  In all honesty, I am only charging $20 on top on the material cost and printing cost which I think is reasonable.  The money I get from these side project is utilize for funding my projects.

I hope everyone remembers how fun it is to be collecting fans and don't miss the true nature of this hobby...friends.  Have a great wonderful Labor Day!

I need for these for the Pulleys.  I ordered various sizes to see which ones will work best.  This will reduce the friction.

These will be used on the pulleys, disc and bearing for the blade shaft.

image.png.ade94f6113ab77986c9d4f6ff6d3dbba.pngimage.png.bcf4f4328991d046e0e4514f2eec20b7.pngimage.png.6512754bac65f8a2dcf822634055568c.pngimage.png.6d9771fa5ad53a25ca2f9f9ae61e2e69.png

For size reference.  The motor is designed to be the size of the big toy motor.  The legs are also available.  The goal was to make this small and be able to have run on the desk.

image.thumb.png.fde5e7db71390883fdcf284293890c29.png