DeMott Bipolar Fan

Louis Luu

Got the base done.  Need to put wire terminals on the motor...will do that later on.  Still need to draw the rotor next.  The top rotating mechanism will need to wait till I order the flange bearing to make sure it fits.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.36eae690b5729fed5085c042ff708da1.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Untitled.jpg

• Like 1

Finished.  Just need the rotor bracket mount...will draw that up when done casting.  Will draw the top mechanism and blade this weekend.

Untitled.jpg

Edited by Louis Luu
  • Like 1

Finally got the bottom done...no more revision.  Tweaked a little around the corners to get the correct profile.  Also, moved the magnet wire bar and made it simpler to wound wires.

image.png.b26cf8b6d918598b5106748dafb7cb2d.pngimage.png.cb0c7c35e9e0391efc1a96e26fac4ad4.pngimage.png.7f2bde0a111b93269fcfd7828d6fe7d1.png

unnamed.png

• Like 1

What CAD are you using? Can a .dwg file from AutoCAD be fed directly into the 3D printer? I have a Creality CR10 I bought before Hurricane Harvey I have not yet printed on...

4 minutes ago, Richard Daugird said:

What CAD are you using? Can a .dwg file from AutoCAD be fed directly into the 3D printer? I have a Creality CR10 I bought before Hurricane Harvey I have not yet printed on...

I use fusion 360 and export .stl file.  I have no idea what .dwg file is used for.  I know different machines use different files.  Some for CNC, some for laser cutting.  .stl files are used for 3D printing.

1 hour ago, Tom Morel said:

I like the plain look personally. Can be too much going on.

I agree.  The pulley is a tad bit hard to adjust without the actual parts in front of me.  I will probably print the bottom portion first.  The top mechanism is really complicated.

I've been reading the patent drawing...it talks about a set screw "J".  Where the heck is the letter "J"?  The top disc is supposed to be a brake disc for slowing down the fan and not supposed to turn...hence the square hole.  The letter "f" is supposed to have rubber for traction and reduce noise.  I got the proportions right...but drew the square holes in the wrong place.  Also, d' is supposed to be one entire piece according to the description.

Now comes the wild part.  The setup is supposed to be for 1 blade, 2 blade, 3 blade and 4 blade according to the patent description.

1396017179_US517214_001crop.thumb.JPG.829f287fbf52f196f282a0cb951b1495.JPG

• Like 1

OK, four blades. Do it! Also, I read this to say that the blade assembly ROTATES while the blades spin, right? There's a friction adjustment at the very top to set the rotation speed.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Bill Dunlap said:

OK, four blades. Do it! Also, I read this to say that the blade assembly ROTATES while the blades spin, right? There's a friction adjustment at the very top to set the rotation speed.

Cheers,

Bill

Correct...the thing at the end of the shaft...round wheel has rubber insole for friction.  I am going to send this off for printing while I redraw the top mechanism now I understand what the patent was referring to.  Maybe I should have read it first before drawing it.  I decided for the meantime, I am going to make the top cover plate with the logo.  They did make a non-oscillating version.  I think the most I will make is a 2 blade and a 3 blade version.  4 blade would be overkill?...I don't see any clearance for the blades?

image.thumb.png.3ce2745d910adb43b499b883c16556de.png

image.png.e96551ec9cef38d2b2f1b6d31dddba00.png

• Like 1