Newbie Emerson 29646 Restoration Questions

Keith Wheaton

6 hours ago, James Gaspard said:

If I remove the stator and "paint" brush it off, the windings are covered with cloth tape. If I spray the stator with mineral spirits, won't the tape begin falling apart/off? I haven't remove my rotor and stator yet as I haven't check to see if the speed switch and motor work. My fan was missing its head wire, so it had no connection from speed switch to motor when I got it. I now have a new head wire to make connections but I don't know which wires on the stator are high, med., & low? If I connect the head wires to the 3 stator wire, how can I determine which wire to connect to each of the s speed switch wires? I'm not sure how to check resistance of the 3 stator wires with a multi meter (digital)? I nwwd to understand how this is done to verify if this motor and switch are working?

You admitted to hijacking this thread and that you started a new thread. Why are you still posting in Keith’s thread? 

6 hours ago, James Gaspard said:

If I remove the stator and "paint" brush it off, the windings are covered with cloth tape. If I spray the stator with mineral spirits, won't the tape begin falling apart/off? I haven't remove my rotor and stator yet as I haven't check to see if the speed switch and motor work. My fan was missing its head wire, so it had no connection from speed switch to motor when I got it. I now have a new head wire to make connections but I don't know which wires on the stator are high, med., & low? If I connect the head wires to the 3 stator wire, how can I determine which wire to connect to each of the s speed switch wires? I'm not sure how to check resistance of the 3 stator wires with a multi meter (digital)? I nwwd to understand how this is done to verify if this motor and switch are working?

There's some YouTube videos out there that you can watch to get an idea of how to use the basic functions of a multi meter. Once you get that figured out, use the diagrams that Tom and I posted earlier to figure out what stator wire connects to what point on the switch. 

4 hours ago, Lane Shirey said:

You admitted to hijacking this thread and that you started a new thread. Why are you still posting in Keith’s thread? I hope I haven't struck a nerve, as it seams I'm going against your grain? I'm new and very sorry, but I came back to this thread because I'm hoping to get info from Russ Huber? I need to understand how to test resistance in stator after hooking the new head wire to it? I don't know how to multi meter test the 3 wires (unmarked) coming off the stator to find which is low, med, high? Please understand I'm new to fan restoration?

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/10/2024 at 8:03 AM, Lane Shirey said:

You admitted to hijacking this thread and that you started a new thread. Why are you still posting in Keith’s thread? 

I'm asking questions about an Emerson 29646 fan, same as Keith's. I'm thinking this thread is a Q&A about the model 29646 fan, and my question is one that hasn't been asked? I do need to know how to test resistance in the stator because my fan is missing the head wire between the speed switch and stator. I was told in another thread to test the three wires coming of the stator to find which of the "unmarked 18ga wires is high, med, low. I know which wires are high, med, low on the speed switch, but I need to find the proper hook up to test both the switch and the motor before removal from the fan for painting and restorations? This thread is more than a year old and I didn't see anything saying it had timed out?