EMERSON 29668 HOUSING DISASSEMBLY

Gary Tackel

I have the fan disassembled except for the pictured housing. The fan swivel that is attached to the bottom of the housing will only turn about 90 degrees, and I see no screws, etc. to release it. Is it permanently attached to the motor housing?

Thanks, Gary 

20221031_004554.jpg

The knuckle (piece on the far right) should just slide off the shaft at this point. Then to further disassemble it, there are 2 set screws and the spring loaded plunger retaining the oscillator collar to the knuckle. 

The oscillator collar that Patrick mentioned is made of pot metal and quite fragile.  You don't want to be applying any pressure to it.  

The knuckle is probably being difficult to remove because dried up old grease.  Try loosening it with some PB Blaster through the 2 side holes.  Also, check to see if the shaft is turning in that 90 degrees, which you can see on the inside of the housing.  

Edited by Thomas Newcity

I had one adjustment collar in recent past that was literally seized to the pivot. I could have soaked the adjustment collar (minus screws and pull plunger)/pivot assembly in PB Blaster for a month and it would have made no difference. I finally locked the pivot in a bench vice and heated the collar with a propane torch until the alloy collar started to bubble and with gloved hand wiggled it loose. I took the collar to the bench grinder with fine wire wheel and dolled it back up. 

4 hours ago, Thomas Newcity said:

The oscillator collar that Patrick mentioned is made of pot metal and quite fragile.  You don't want to be applying any pressure to it.  

The knuckle is probably being difficult to remove because dried up old grease.  Try loosening it with some PB Blaster through the 2 side holes.  Also, check to see if the shaft is turning in that 90 degrees, which you can see on the inside of the housing.  

Thanks for the replies - I'll try the PB Blaster 1st, before any of the other methods. I can see the top of the small shaft at the bottom of the fan housing- looks to be a tight fit. I noticed that the oscillator collar looked fragile - was afraid that it might even be made of a plastic material - I'm hoping that some of the lines that I see in it are cracks in the paint - and not in the pot metal itself.

Inspect the collar for any cracks in the pot metal. Once a crack starts, just a matter of time before it's fully broken. Jerry Bravi makes beautiful replacements. 

20221101_003850.thumb.jpg.446add89d50f5848ee00be5f8a9e7e0a.jpgSuccess! I soaked the joint in PB Blaster, put some in the hole above the shaft in the housing, and was able to pull it straight out.

The collar has some casting fissures on the outside, but no cracks. I'll bet a new collar cast in brass is pretty expensive?

Thanks for all the good information!

Jerry Brevi makes the collar. I think it’s around $70.  It is a much better piece than the pot metal one. His is machined steel and is beautiful!

• Like 1

Here is something that happened to me. Just like your situation, I couldn’t get the pot metal collar off the pivot piece and I knew I was going to replace it with the one Jerry makes.  What I didn’t realize was my pivot piece was made of pot metal too.  Some are steel and some are pot metal. The new collar wouldn’t fit on my pivot piece because it had swollen over the years.  I had to use a file to file the pivot piece down until the new collar finally fit..  something you may incur too!

24 minutes ago, Malcolm MacGregor said:

Here is something that happened to me. Just like your situation, I couldn’t get the pot metal collar off the pivot piece and I knew I was going to replace it with the one Jerry makes.  What I didn’t realize was my pivot piece was made of pot metal too.  Some are steel and some are pot metal. The new collar wouldn’t fit on my pivot piece because it had swollen over the years.  I had to use a file to file the pivot piece down until the new collar finally fit..  something you may incur too!

What type number was your example?

12 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

What type number was your example?

Is it possible yours was a big motor type Emerson? The big motor Emerson oscillator pivot on top where the adjustment case fits on is larger diameter than a small motor oscillator. The adjustment collar for the big motor Emerson oscillator is larger than the small motor collar. 

6 hours ago, Malcolm MacGregor said:

My issue was on a 21666.  Actually it was the second 21666 I restored.  It wasn’t an issue on my first one.  Obviously a big motor.

Yes. To look at the oscillator pivot/adjustment collar assembly on a large and small motor it is not obvious there is a size issue. The difference is but a few thousands of an inch regarding the small motor adjustment collar fit on a large motor pivot. I will try to post pictures tomorrow, or Sunday. The motor size differences are obvious. There are large motor 6 and 4 pole motors, and there are small motor 6 and 4 pole motors.

19 hours ago, Gary Tackel said:

My 29668 must be the big motor - it has a 6 3/4" diameter  housing,  and a machined steel shaft

20221101_003850.jpg

Yes, big motor 6 pole.

Emerson big motor compared to the small motor. The big motor is a 21648 type#,  and the small a 21646 type#. Both types are oscillating models, the 21646 motor housing is sans its gearbox.

IMG_2752.JPG

Emerson BIG and small motor pivots. The adjustment collar is from the small motor 21646. Notice the small motor collar will not seat on the big motor pivot.

IMG_2762.JPG

IMG_2765.JPG

IMG_2767.JPG

• Like 1

On 10/31/2022 at 1:28 PM, Russ Huber said:

I had one adjustment collar in recent past that was literally seized to the pivot. I could have soaked the adjustment collar (minus screws and pull plunger)/pivot assembly in PB Blaster for a month and it would have made no difference. I finally locked the pivot in a bench vice and heated the collar with a propane torch until the alloy collar started to bubble and with gloved hand wiggled it loose. I took the collar to the bench grinder with fine wire wheel and dolled it back up. 

BTW....this is the pivot with adjustment collar on the left that was seized to the pivot I took the propane torch to release it. 

IMG_2765.JPG

Jerry must offer one size in his reproduction adjustment collars, that being for the small motor?  I have not had use for one as of yet, so I don't know.

unnamed.png