GE BMY wiring help.

Tim Babcock

I have the wiring I hooked up on the BMY I am working on, but I am sure someone messed with it and its all wrong. I need to start from scratch. I looked up BMY diagram's and some have two wires in the speed coil and others have four. Mine has three wires only from the speed coil and three wires to the head. I took the switch apart, the three wires going to the head run 1 to 2 41. Ohms, 1 to 3 41. ohms and 2 to three is 41. ohms. The choke coil has three wires coming out,  no fourth wire. I should be getting different readings on the head wires not the same or am I missing something? Thanks for any guidance.

1465570978_GEBMYwiringdiagram-page-001.thumb.jpg.697795d2376f12140a72189065cd64c7.jpg

Thanks Ken, I think this helped in that I was going down the wrong road. I think and someone correct me if I am wrong. but this fan of mine is a one of the Halo coil fans and looks like someone maybe has messed with the coil. When I got the fan the coil was sitting on top of the switch arm. I put some shim tubes under it to raise it up and after connecting the new wire to the three coil wires I taped it up for stabilization. So is this fan in need of a Capacitor in line to replace the missing resistor coil? I am not familiar with that style of coil. I may need some help or guidance in figuring out what I need to do. Here is a picture of the fan switch and coil as they are now.

DSC08221.JPG

The metal thumb coming out of the coil is just a shim I made. Its a hollow tube with a lever for turning. I think it was for a window. But it worked for the screw to go through it and raise if off the lever. I am sure someone has really messed with this fans wiring. There is even a slotted screw for a connector for the switch arm that has been pressed into service.

I found a capacitor that should work if this is in fact the type of coil I have. uxcell Ceiling Fan Capacitor CBB61 6uF 250V AC 2 Wires Metallized Polypropylene Film Capacitor 47x29x18mm for Electric Fan Pump Motor Generator

That type of motor is a true 3 phase motor, so to get it to run on single phase power, a suitable capacitor or inductor will be needed to cause a phase shift in the windings, thus allowing a rotating magnetic field in the stator.  Hope this helps.

OK, So maybe we can stat from scratch, now that I am really mixed up. I ran on one speed the way I had it wired. But I would like to undo all the wiring and figure out what goes where. I took Ohms readings of the coil, I get 1 and 2[ 3.6]  1 and 3[4.8] 2 and 3[ 1.2 ]

So please correct me if I have this wrong. To get the orientation of the three wires to the head, instead of using a multi meter, I would use a alligator clip and plug in the head direct. If it runs in the correct direction this would be the line in and the neutral. If not than reverse one of the wires with the third wire and it should run in the correct direction.  The third wire of the head would then have the capacitor put in line and connected back into the Neutral line? Is that correct so far? If I have that correct then once I get that done I can figure out the orientation of the coil wires.

I know I have done this before but for the life of me I can not remember exactly. So label the head wires ABC, what are the other wires to lable 123 Is it the coil wires? If so where does the line in connect. Thanks for the help and sorry for my memory issues.

Ed, being your guest status, I can't locate where you're at as I could with an AFCA member directory. If you gave some idea of your location maybe an AFCA member who knows may be close enough to you to come and help you out? Or you come to them? Whatever works. Just a thought.

My speed coil has only three wires, my stater has only three wires, no centrifugal start no nichrome coil on the speed coil. When testing with an ohms meter I get 41 ohms no matter the combination.  I set the three stater wires as 1 2 and 3 but need to know what are the other three wires to lable A B and C.

1 hour ago, Ed Teach said:

I am a member, I don't know why it shows I am a guest. I live in North West Arkansas. Bentonville to be exact.

If you’ve paid your dues this past year then you should contact the admins and they can change your status here. 

I just posted on another persons post and if I were not a member that would not be possible. So it must be just a glitch somewhere. I sent a message to the admin.

Hi Ed Teach, 😉

Your question about the fan has been answered.... it is three phase wound and you need a resistance, impedance, or capacitance to make the fan run.

The stator seems to be just fine. Please review the previous posts! 🙂

23 minutes ago, Mark Olson said:

Hi Ed Teach, 😉

Your question about the fan has been answered.... it is three phase wound and you need a resistance, impedance, or capacitance to make the fan run.

The stator seems to be just fine. Please review the previous posts! 🙂

In other words, you must shift the single phase current angle through one of the three windings to cause a rotating magnetic field. If the rotation is backwards, swap two leads.

Edited by Mark Olson
left a word out

18 minutes ago, Mark Olson said:

In other words, you must shift the single phase current angle through one of the three windings to cause a rotating magnetic field. If the rotation is backwards, swap two leads.

I hope that you don't think that I am being vague. If you don't understand, I get it.  Ask questions, p.m., email, etc. This really aint' rocket science.

and use your real name

I tried PMing you Mark, I can not. I am still set as a guest on some things. I sent a message to the admin. So  annoying I joined back in the first of July.  So I have a coil that has only three wires coming out of it. Most all the diagrams I see show a fourth wire coming out of the speed coil. I looked at my coil before I tapped it up and I did not see any place that there was a broken wire. I can do the combination hook up no problem, but if I use the three wires coming out of the speed coil to cross to the three wired from the stater, how do I feed in the line in? 

I also see I need to put in the capacitor when I get it in hand. Not sure where it goes. In one diagram it shows a second lead coming off the neutral and the capacitor goes in between that line. Another diagram shows it going in between the switch to head line.

So to get started maybe you or someone could confirm what the three lines are I do the sequence with the stater wires. And where does the line in go in this sequence? Do I hook the wires up to the switch to do the  1a 2b 3c sequence or just the wires themself?  If it is the three coil wires where do I hook in the line in.

This is the diagram that seems to match my coil. So B and C hook to the neutral but one has the capacitor in line, the other goes to the hot line in.  Once I figure out which is A B and C  The coil should be High lowest resistance to low highest amount of resistance.

GE_BMY_Swndr_Cap.gif.8bede20dd11d65d89157560453013029.gif.de5a952805375791d2df3643feeae9ae.gif

This is what I have so far. The three wires not hooked up go to the stater, the three wires that go to the coil are hooked to the switch. Line is where it goes. DSC08222.JPG.3f19ce7e93789e7c840399f62987c2a2.JPG