GE BMY wiring help.

Tim Babcock

So on my coil I have only three wires coming out, no flying lead. So is  this the correct coil for this fan? I am getting mixed up because of the different styles of BMY, centrifugal, 4 wire coil ect. Since the fan was messed with before I got it, I don't know if it had a fourth wire on the coil or not. I saw no obvious place the flying lead was cut or broken. Some how I need to isolate the exact set up I am working with. If I need to get a replacement coil or if this one will work OK.

Three head wires. Three switch wires. 6 possible combinations. Try all six Doubt a wrong one would fry anything if for a second or two. People used to resolve Emerson wiring that way back in the day. One way would run backwards even... Edited, mistake it's 6 not 9

Edited by Michael Rathberger

I get that part, my question is I have 3 wires to the coil, 3 wires to the stater, so I alligator clip these together using the 6 combination 1a 2b 3c pattern. The coil wires got to the three positions on the switch. The hot wire line in goes to the arm of the switch bar. Where does the neutral go?

Here is the wiring diagrams for BMY fans I found on this site. One has a flying lead wire from the coil. Mine does not have this. The second shows the wires from the head one going to the high speed side of the coil on the switch, the other two to the Neutral one being interrupted by a capacitor. I also had an issue with the coil. In running the fan I plugged the fan in for a quick test and there was an arch. I unplugged is as soon as I heard the snap which was about one second. I get no readings across the coil now. I think it may be dead.

Tim, use the capacitor diagram. All three of your stator windings ring out the same, so it does not matter which goes where. If the fan runs backwards, swap two stator wires.

As far as the speed coil, the worst that can happen is that the hi med low could be out of order. It is two ends and a middle tap.

I reiterate, USE THE CAPACITOR DIAGRAM!!!!

OK thanks mark. I am not sure what happened but the coil shorted out and several wires melted. I must have messed up and let two wires touch somehow. I have the rubber shields on them. But the coil is toast. I am trying to source another one. Your last remark helps a lot. I can leave all the other diagrams go. I checked Ebay and nothing and I have an email out to Antique fan parts to see if Linda has one. They show out of stock but they often have a lot of parts they don't have up on the web site. If anyone knows where I can source a coil for this BMY I would greatly appreciate if you could pass it on to me. Thanks.

Thanks Mark, I did not know that drill. I sent a message to Cheryl and she said she sees I paid but has no idea why I am still listed as a guest. She said its above her pay grade and will kick it up to figure it out. So I can not PM you. My email is dogon2u@gmail.com. I will send it to you. Can you email me your address and how you want to be paid? Thanks so much.

Ed Teach is the real name of Black Beard the Pirate. I use that name on most all of my internet accounts. I just got used to it over the years so its my name I use on  line. Not every site do I want to give out my real name.

3 hours ago, Ed Teach said:

Ed Teach is the real name of Black Beard the Pirate. I use that name on most all of my internet accounts. I just got used to it over the years so its my name I use on  line. Not every site do I want to give out my real name.

I am not playing mall cop, however, that maybe why you are still listed as guest as you mentioned in earlier post.  " must use full first and last name "  per forum rules...does not mention " real  name".  welcome Tim ? And no offense meant to you or any mall cops

• Thanks 1

You are spot on. I just got an email from Cheryl and she said they could not find I was registered  and it was because of my different name. She is working on it now. So if she needs me to change my user name I will get that done, but I want to see if she can get my account registered first. Thanks.

Anyone know who makes the BMY  Off 1 2 3 fan decals to replace the ones from the factory? I used to get them on eBay but that seller is not on the site anymore. Thanks

On 12/7/2022 at 8:59 AM, Tim Babcock said:

Anyone know who makes the BMY  Off 1 2 3 fan decals to replace the ones from the factory? I used to get them on eBay but that seller is not on the site anymore. Thanks

Chris Campbell