GE Charleston Green Replacement Anyone?

John Nyman

Charleston green wasn't planned for production for a couple years even before the pandemic. It was a color they seemed willing to only produce on a limited basis every 3 or 4 years. I'm working on a water based acrylic urethane version of the GE green. How would you all describe the GE original paint compared to the charleston green? I'm trying to figure out the right blend so then I can use that and sell off my stockpile of Rustoleum Charleston.

Steve Stevens has great examples of original GE green.  Maybe he would be willing to spray a splotch of each color over it or perhaps just a pic of it

1 hour ago, Chris Campbell said:

Trevor,

I color matched the GE before. It was a challenge to mix under PPG and essentially this is a single stage base without activators. Took a lot of pigment and in the end reduces around 1:4.

Code may help. If not will send you a sample

Thanks for that. Should help me. I have an original GE paintjob I can use as reference i just wasn't sure how time had changed it. It appears the fan I have is nearly the same. It seems that the black in the original GE Green had a slight smokiness and that's what I've been trying to catch. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jim Roadt said:

Steve Stevens has great examples of original GE green.  Maybe he would be willing to spray a splotch of each color over it or perhaps just a pic of it

I have found that matching a color to a photo can be difficult.   I have photographed quite a few original paint GEs but the result is usually not the same as one would see on the fan itself.   My 1922 Form AB paint color shows up so differently in various photos of the same fan.

• Like 2

Now I'm curious about the Pontypool black. Paul, I'm curious also about the x/o Charleston and I think...stress the term...that the gray-green is called Pullman Green

13 hours ago, Malcolm MacGregor said:

I will be interested in your X/O Charleston green test results. Is it possible to compare it to other dark green colors?

Malcolm MacGregor 

Well it got very cold this afternoon (almost 80 today 25F tonight ,LOL),and my garage was at 60F, but I did a test spray on a small planter.At this temp it may not be optimal,and I will have a full assessment of color tomorrow when it drys.I will for now get into spray characteristics.Firsts off it seemed thinner than most paint and it begin to run right off,so I backed off and did a mist coat for adhesion before the first full coat.The cold also had an effect so another spray later.This sprayer really puts out the juice!.I usually shot closer than advised to get flow but I had to back up 12"to 15" and had to move fast ,but it laid well with no runs and flowed to a high gloss with no orange peel ,even after the second full coat.It will spray from any angle even upside down. It can't be cleared out by spraying that way. I pulled the nozzle and cleaned it In Acetone so it doesn't clog for later use.If considered it would be advised to do a test spray to get used to the sprayer because it puts out more so than conventional spray paint.I like it so far.I'm pretty sure it's darker,but more on that after dry time.Tomorrow. 

9 hours ago, John Nyman said:

Now I'm curious about the Pontypool black. Paul, I'm curious also about the x/o Charleston and I think...stress the term...that the gray-green is called Pullman Green

There are numerous posts about pontypool in old forum 

Briefly ....it is ( I think ) the closest paint to Japan and can be purchased online.  It is pricey

I pour it on and drip off let it dry and bake it on

check old forum for pics and other suggestions 16411355385005862646497630096648.thumb.jpg.21d7948169283d6edc87506b326f8b83.jpg16411355661448580848990986332649.thumb.jpg.b7434b9b91dac50cb6d6dbb97d5b87f6.jpg

On 1/1/2022 at 11:12 PM, John Nyman said:

Pullman Green.I can see that.

Now results.X/O has a slower dry time than the conventional spray paints,smells like insecticides, flows and shines like nobody's business.Complete dry time to be determined, 60F.  It is noticeably darker than any of the test subjects,not as green.I would describe as very dark charcoal with a hint of green.With only indoor light it looks black with a hint of green.

All test subjects are original paint,and areas were buffed to show true color.

Pic one.Not a good representation of X/O, it had a little more green.The other two the colors show spot on.Notice the difference between the mid 20s or so Whiz and the 30s 10".Oddly the 30s was closer to the early 20s Bell.The Whiz was darker and deeper green than any of the rest.The late 20s 16"is not shown as there is little difference between it and the 16"Bell.

Pic 2..This is Whiz and test.The pic shows very close to true colors if not right on.As with the rest.

Pic 3.. 16"Brass Bell.

Pic 4..Now here's a twist. This a 12"early brass bell,but unlike the rest it was not and indoor queen back in the day like the rest.It was by all indication a well used shop fan for decades,thickly covered in grime and never cleaned,areas of surface rust.As can be seen after being spot  buffed it is noticeable darker and deeper green than the rest.I would like this color but only age and neglect can create that.Yet the X/O is still darker and not the deep green of the Bell.With out the sun the X/O is darker.

Conclusion. Sprays excellent ,flows,shines.Dry time ?Very nice dark with a hint of green color.It is not though a real close representative of GE green.Will I use it?..?..Maybe.

IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0018.JPG

IMG_0019.JPG

IMG_0021.jpg

Edited by Paul Carmody

That's kinda wild Jim, I knew brushing it on would be a no-go, airbrushing it...with the asphalt, I would not know how to cut it with thinner but now that you mention pouring it on...I mean it's pretty wasteful but what the heck. I'd like to see that done some time, but then again I suppose you just bite the bullet and do it...if you screw it up you just clean up and try again.

Those are good pics Paul, thank you for putting them up. I remember my old Whiz as being darker myself unless it's in sunlight, maybe, but that XO looks identical to my un-restored 34017...it was an indoor fan but I swear it looks like years of oil and grease randomly darkened it, but I'd say it's right for that fan. Not for a Whiz tho, and not for my current Brass bell project as it's remnant color is more Whiz-ish. Steve Stephens mentioned that GE used 2 or 3 green enamel paints around this time but I don't think there is much more info on the shades. Right now I would humbly assume that original Charleston Green, the "new" XO C-green and then perhaps an OD green are all contenders, from darkest to lightest, as close replacement colors for at least some of the early 20's GE's. I am probably over-reaching but it's a start.

I put them back to the fan room with indoor light and the test together.When I walked back in later there was no sunlight,they all looked about the same except the X/O still showed darker.

The Pontypool is interesting!

I have Dark Hunter In a quart.Should I ?

It is now dry enough to handle.So it does set.

Edited by Paul Carmody

That XO sounds and looks like a pretty good paint so far...I'm going to order some, but on the Pontypool I'm wondering how much a quart would cost. And I'm wondering if I have the guts to just pour it on...I guess you'd have to support it up, from inside of the base, pour the paint from the top down and pray?

15 minutes ago, John Nyman said:

That XO sounds and looks like a pretty good paint so far...I'm going to order some, but on the Pontypool I'm wondering how much a quart would cost. And I'm wondering if I have the guts to just pour it on...I guess you'd have to support it up, from inside of the base, pour the paint from the top down and pray?

I think it is about $80

pour it on above a container to catch extra and reuse