Old Crusty In ICU

Paul Carmody

I quoted Tony Clayton on- In ICU from what’s on work bench.

I introduced Old Crusty on the old forum.Im sure no one remembers.It was not impressive for sure except in its deplorable condition, a line cord change it ran surprisingly well.I bought it a few years ago for its insides for a burned out motor,coil with brass blade cage supposedly rare and restored.RIGHT!!   Frankenfan! So I thought Okay Frankenfan from the Frankenfan.But now I have the real stump for the blade cage just not a speed coil(.One day I hope)

I kind of like the junked out look and was just going to replace the head cord.The line cord was actually  turning to dust and loose fibers.I was told it ran.They we’re brave or crazy to plug it in that’s for sure!All the the old cliches come to truth.You get what you pay for..Open a can of worms..If it can go wrong it will..You reap what you sow(Westinghouse).And my favorite-Piece of $#/+.

Check out the head wire.The cage was bent in all directions,one wire gone two still attached,the rest held by electrical tape.Its running in the first 3 pics by the way.

20191201_035537-2.jpeg

20191201_035726.jpeg

20191201_035739-1.jpeg

20191201_035843-1.jpeg

Edited by Paul Carmody
  • Like 1

I’m getting older and my memory failed me,because I was in shock when I opened it up.All the wire coverings were coming off.Everything had rust.If you look at the porcelain around the speed coil there is evidence where water set and left residue and rust bleed.But it ran good!!  And I didn’t electrocute myself messing with it.This is where Tony said Another Westinghouse in ICU.

IMG_1061.jpeg

IMG_1062.jpeg

IMG_1063.jpeg

Edited by Paul Carmody
  • Like 1

There was what looked like a Brown Recluse carcass still in the web.That could have been worse than a shock.The porcelain cleaned up good.That’s original paint,and it was not broke or chipped.That’s a rare thing on these for sure.All polished trued and ready for speed coil.

IMG_1064.jpeg

IMG_1079.jpeg

• Like 1

All seemed to be going well and that fear we probably  all had as to how easy it would be for those tiny wires to break at, or in the the coil.Yepp!-it happened.The yellow head wire broke off in the speed coil.I had a hard time even finding where they were.I had to use reading glasses, magnifying glasses, my helping hand magnifier, tweezers.I finally found a good use for my dental pick.

I’m thinking.Well that’s it, parts bin.What do I have to lose so I attempt to repair.Looks good, time will tell.I go about screwing it to porcelain and one of the switch to coil wires is missing.Laying on the floor!Broke off even with coil.Two tiny wires the size of 3 day growth of whiskers.I carefully picked in with the above tools until I could see coil wires.Made an epoxy pocket,let it set overnight so that I didn’t solder into the coil wires.I think this will never work but what the heck? It seems to go well and I then notice I broke the outside coil wire while picking.Another fear.I was able to fish it out but there was not enough slack.I pulled one strand out of an 16 Gauge wire and soldered a bridge.Have you ever tried to solder a hair sized wire to another hair sized wire.Yellow Line.

IMG_1086.jpeg

Edited by Paul Carmody
  • Like 1

It doesn’t look that bad with the pic blown up-but.This pic is for scale,and that tiny shiny sliver is the size of the bridge.I have been up all night piddling with it and I will get back later today with result.

IMG_1185.jpeg

• Like 1

I didn’t think it would work either.All speeds,was ran that way for hours hardly getting warm,motor and speed coil both.So I can move along

The head was very oily.See what looks like built up grease at the front bearing.It was hard and crusty and chipped off.Even after the grease with new oil in it from when I got it.The oil cup had oil that was solid.I should have heated it .

More to come.

IMG_1106.jpeg

IMG_1103.jpeg

Edited by Paul Carmody

Paul, I admire your tenacity especially since this fan is not altogether rare and may not be worth all your efforts to restore it. Nevertheless I admire your willingness to put forth the effort. I enjoyed reading the post and certainly appreciate the difficulty in bridging the wire issues. WOW!

• Like 1

Thanks David .I agree! If I had intended to actually restore a fan it would not be this one.One thing led to another.It’s all a learning experience.I’m quite enjoying this one.If it’s a fail I just toss it and move on.I’m not caught up on small details.
You notice that most my restores are not what is generally thought of as all together rare or desirable.That’s because I’m giving away my few none brass as gift.So I really bling them out.Then I can start on my keepers.It also shows people getting into this hobby that cheaper, high quality fans can be made into nice fans.This will not be one of those.

None of my personal fans are restored.Only serviced.I run one every night and sleep like a baby.

I think you will like this one.Stay tuned.

Edited by Paul Carmody

So back to it..

The rotor shaft at the wick was worn down bad,It had a sharp ridge even..I had the rotor from another 315745a .Both last patent date 1923.The only difference is the parts fan had small date in parentheses is 1923..The one I’m repairing small date 1924.I was told it is the batch date for tags.The pretty gold one if you look is shorter.I measured all dimensions and that was the only difference.I think,well- that’s not going to work.I was looking at the front case and that thick washer was stuck on the bearing.The black one had no such washer,or any washer.With the washer they are both the exact same length.Another difference is the rotor shaft on the black one has teeth so the rotor can be pressed on.

IMG_1114.jpeg

IMG_1115.jpeg

Edited by Paul Carmody

The bearings have no slack and spin free.I wanted to add that. I don’t know how that could be? It just is.

All wired up now.Just some finishing touches before completion

IMG_1093.jpeg

IMG_1183.jpeg

Edited by Paul Carmody
  • Like 1

It will take a little to load pics.Also videos if they will load.

Old crusty no more!It is a full blown Rat Fan now.In Rat build fashion It was an old beat up thing destined for the scrap yard when I saved it.Digging through the bone pile provided all needed parts and hardware.A line wire I had no intention of using.All materials were on hand.Only thing of value was the Tony Clayton head wire.It really is the finishing touch.And I couldn’t use the wire spring retainer because it’s so small without it.(Thanks Tony)

The first pic without cage.The second is the original cage straightened,most wires  welded back,one missing,and a really nice badge.I left the tape on two for effect.I was digging and had a nice cage I got with a blade I needed a while back.I forgot I had it.I think that starts at around 60 years old.I like the  W badge better and as the plan changed it worked better.The other will stay with the fan.

IMG_1343.png

IMG_1200.jpeg

Edited by Paul Carmody
  • Like 1

When the rust from the base was removed it was all bright metal, so paint added, took away, then bare metal was treated to appear aged.The pot metal had paint flaking off so with my thumbnail most of the rest was scraped off.There are bits here and there for effect.It was too bright.It was polished then aged.The fan body still has the little paint that was on it.Rust was removed or treated then put back so to speak.I lightly sanded to smooth it out,then evened the patina and shiny spots.The only paint used was at the lower part of base.Then a satin Poly over it all for presentation and preservation.All hardware blued, polished like always.

IMG_1342.jpeg

IMG_1260.jpeg

IMG_1262.jpeg

IMG_1277.jpeg

IMG_1286.jpeg

IMG_1294.jpeg

IMG_1284.jpeg

IMG_1295.jpeg

Edited by Paul Carmody
  • Like 1

You eagle eyed fan guys will spot the tag upside down.Corrected.If you look above the W there is what looks suspiciously like a BB hit it.Kid with a BB gun or diehard Emerson collector?I also painted the blade I should mention in the front.There was little paint left.It was just too much.

IMG_1271.jpeg

IMG_1367.jpeg

Edited by Paul Carmody

On the first video if it loads,I run a good running step base Emerson as comparison.

This is the quietest,smoothest old or new fan I have ever encountered.You can not hear it running in first.What you hear is back ground noise.
On the old forum there was mention of the dime test.I assume it is if a dime is placed on the top and doesn’t vibrate off its pretty good?

What if the dime is slightly to one side?I added one

to the test.What if a nickel is balanced edgewise on the oscillator knob ?
There is no trickery here.

Edited by Paul Carmody

And a couple more oscillating.Low then high.I really had fun with this fan.Is it worth anything?

Thanks for looking!

4 minutes ago, Paul Carmody said:

And a couple more oscillating.Low then high.I really had fun with this fan.Is it worth anything?

Thanks for looking!

Worth a lot in my opinion. Some lucky friend of yours is gonna get a great whisper quite fan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Carmody said:

You eagle eyed fan guys will spot the tag upside down.Corrected.If you look above the W there is what looks suspiciously like a BB hit it.Kid with a BB gun or diehard Emerson collector?I also painted the blade I should mention in the front.There was little paint left.It was just too much.

IMG_1271.jpeg

IMG_1367.jpeg

As an Emerson collector, I'll admit a SS Westy makes a nice ping with a 22.

• Haha 1