Old Crusty In ICU

Paul Carmody

3 minutes ago, Paul Michael said:

As an Emerson collector, I'll admit a SS Westy makes a nice ping with a 22.

And keeps on running.

34 minutes ago, Paul Carmody said:

And keeps on running.

DON'T MAKE ME MAKE A VIDEO! 🤣

Paul,   That 12-inch fan is so quiet, and it's been done well, as is the thread with its comments and images...

I enjoyed the whole show, and it displays what's great about those post-"residence" slow-speed fans...   You raised a question for me: if you ever have both those tags in sight of each other, it would be interesting to know whether they are identical in every respect excepting the micro-date... I suspect that the 1924 one, compared to the 1923, had an early patent date expired, or a new patent date added...

This image is Apr 1924.....

image.thumb.jpeg.5a06923f1ce4dd6094b875362e8d24d5.jpeg

5 hours ago, Jim Roadt said:

Nicely done ....love the landscaping 

Thanks Jim! Plants are my other hobby.I spend more on plants, indoor,outdoor,and trees every year than fans..I give plant starts away too.Anyone  that comes by that wants them. Or maybe not want them? They get them anyway.

7 hours ago, Steve Rockwell said:

Paul,   That 12-inch fan is so quiet, and it's been done well, as is the thread with its comments and images...

I enjoyed the whole show, and it displays what's great about those post-"residence" slow-speed fans...   You raised a question for me: if you ever have both those tags in sight of each other, it would be interesting to know whether they are identical in every respect excepting the micro-date... I suspect that the 1924 one, compared to the 1923, had an early patent date expired, or a new patent date added...

This image is Apr 1924.....

image.thumb.jpeg.5a06923f1ce4dd6094b875362e8d24d5.jpeg

I appreciate the comments Steve! I wish this forum had more discussion on post like the old forum.

I had to dig out the parts fan.I’m sure glad you ask that.My screws look bad blown up.I have to admit I didn’t treat them because they looked fine small.I see the parts fan in the photos has perfect brass screws.YES!! Is brass tag screws common?The last few I worked on had steel philister screws.

Someone over polished the tag on the parts fan and it took a few tries to get legible pics.But you can see 23 on both of the dates on its tag. The only other difference I see is how the volts are stamped.I suspect your right about the patent change.Maybe something to do with the rotor? I know nothing about it to be truthful.
I just noticed the 1924 pic you have has a W badge.This 24 had a ribbon badge.

PXL_20230607_052222219~2.jpeg

PXL_20230607_050602769~2.jpeg

PXL_20230607_050931252~4.jpeg

PXL_20230607_054615945~4.jpeg

PXL_20230607_054103437~2.jpeg

Edited by Paul Carmody

Thanks for doing that, Paul. The minor refinement I've made to micro-date theory holds together..... so far.

Old photos of the companion 16-inch #321375 model, have the same badge, which I suspect to be the "correct" one...

This excerpt is neither specific to nor exactly consistent with fans, I think it applies to motor tags and other products, and to advertising...

image.png.aafe49605ce15cb32b56283a7c924b52.png

I can't say anything useful concerning steel screws, I don't have a fan of this period for comparison...

Edited by Steve Rockwell