Will give this a try. I will also be making the other part of the gear, T-bracket and back arm housing.

image.thumb.jpeg.f3c61607857c3695d958e99c58eb9057.jpeg

• Like 2

A two gear reduction
ratio of 126 to 1...

1180830050_Image(17).thumb.jpg.a1985ef533b52b0286ee938047865bd8(1).jpg.2f6afb0d3b0b2fc6f132ea9906099b8b.jpg

I'd guess that hertzian
contact stress to the point
of fracture is why so many
of those gears have failed,
i.e. stripped teeth.

9 hours ago, Jim Kovar said:

1180830050_Image(17).thumb.jpg.a1985ef533b52b0286ee938047865bd8.jpg.0b53ee628df41877bd043ec9279f9592.jpg

THANK YOU JIM!  This will save me some time.  I was dredding counting the teeth with my magnifying glass.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jim Kovar said:

A two gear reduction
ratio of 126 to 1...

1180830050_Image(17).thumb.jpg.a1985ef533b52b0286ee938047865bd8(1).jpg.2f6afb0d3b0b2fc6f132ea9906099b8b.jpg

I'd guess that hertzian
contact stress to the point
of fracture is why so many
of those gears have failed,
i.e. stripped teeth.

I'll experiment with the teeth ratio once the originals are done.  There are a couple things I can do without changing the ratio of the teeth.  

I'm curious as to how you'll cut the ID gear. Fellows gear shaper? Also, wondering what the tooth form is. Almost looks like more of a serration than an involute gear tooth.

4 minutes ago, Jerry Van said:

I'm curious as to how you'll cut the ID gear. Fellows gear shaper? Also, wondering what the tooth form is. Almost looks like more of a serration than an involute gear tooth.

You are correct, the tooth are serrated and not angled.  The tooth will be grown....printed in metal.  It would be extremely tedious to do this as a machinist.

2 hours ago, Louis Luu said:

he teeth with my magnifying glass.

I have counted those teeth 20 times! I cN vouch for the 126 teeth!

• Haha 2

This gear was on my list of things to do but I did not feel like taking the gears apart on my Jandus.  Luckily, David Yurko was working on his and removing it anyway.  He lent me the gears.  I will rush on making them and return them ASAP.  I also ordered them other part of the Gear from Dan Nguyen to help make all the part for this fan.  Then Mark Sova and David Yurko also needed the back housing, I figured I might as well.  So this week, after I take in my car to replace the starter, I will make the form to measure the back and draw them up.

3 minutes ago, George Durbin said:

I have counted those teeth 20 times! I cN vouch for the 126 teeth!

Jim HELPED!!!!  I dreaded counting them teeth.

4 hours ago, Louis Luu said:

You are correct, the tooth are serrated and not angled.  The tooth will be grown....printed in metal.  It would be extremely tedious to do this as a machinist.

As done by a machinist: Tedious, maybe. Expensive, YES.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been looking into involuted gear vs non-involuted gear as I am new to designing gear. Upon further looking into the original gears, it would appear the gears are rounded (non-involuted aka. cycloid gear). I don't know much but it makes sense as these small gears need to mesh and not get "caught"....I'm making the gears to have rounded edge with full "mesh"....full contact. This is taking a bit more time on my end for my computer. Hopefully, the end result will work. In the meantime, I just stare at my computer for the calculation to finish. I'm making one 127/126 and another one 111/110 gear ratio. As I'm currently typing, my computer is working on the 126 tooth gear.

Or....the rounded edge could be the result of the gear wearing down and natural wearing. Either way, rounded edge makes more sense for small gears.

Housing gear in 127 and 111 teeth.  Still need to put in the stem and the holes.  I'll be done with the mating gear sometime next week.

image.png.0c6f50cef5e7c5bfbaf40f9dd32139c6.pngimage.png.c3735238cdfc03cc5a82e109e0cc6872.pngimage.png.84d7579ca6e6d6ed8148eda981a6473d.pngimage.png.5c28fab0e87e65663699fbea6efa2220.png

• Like 1

"Simplest and Cleverest in Existence"...

One just has to be impressed with that wildly innovative design, and with the capability and skill and perseverance to see this initiative through...

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Geoff Dunaway said:

The 111/110 gear ratio will make the fan oscillate considerably faster right ??

From 12.60 revolutions per minute to 14.41 on high speed.

Edited by Louis Luu

By removing 16 teeth from the original, I'm hoping the bigger teeth will be more stable.

Housing gear both 127 and 111 teeth done. The grooves in the back are for lubrication.

you would think that the bronze stationary gear teeth would be the ones to give out first,  but I guess that isn't the case?

6 minutes ago, David Yurko said:

you would think that the bronze stationary gear teeth would be the ones to give out first,  but I guess that isn't the case?

David....thank you for lending me the gear.  Prototypes are free.  Your arm housing will be on me for helping me out.

• Like 2