Emerson Brass Fans Are Good To Collect But Emerson Chrome Fans Are Also Worth Collecting

Terry Fisher

My brother saw this fan in an Oklahoma City antique mall and said I should check it out.  Several days later I did just that. The fan was in great shape (just very oil gunk dirty)  and the seller dropped his asking price by $185 so I could not pass it up for $350. After about 7 hours of cleaning and adding a new power cord here is how it looks.  Stan Adams says it was manufactured in 1938. The fan starts with a capacitor and sure does run quietly with very smooth oscillation. 

Emerson badge.jpg

Emerson front.jpg

Emerson motor tag.jpg

Emerson side.jpg

Emerson back close.jpg

Emerson back left close.jpg

Emerson side.jpg

Emeson speeds.jpg

Emerson back profile.jpg

Emerson Back.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Terry Fisher said:

The fan was in great shape (just very oil gunk dirty)

Wow!  You judged the potential that one had under the crud real good.  That one would look dandy on one of those black wrinkle AK octagon pedestals.

EmersonAAped3 (2).jpg

• Like 2

Looks great. I wonder if that is a post factory chrome though. Its pristine condition and the speed control numbers being exposed seems strange to me. Haven't seen that on the factory emerson chromes. 

4 hours ago, Terry Fisher said:

The fan starts with a capacitor...

It starts and runs...
       with a capacitor.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all of the good comments. I left this fan original not even changing out the felt base pad. 

Hey Jim . . . does that swampland include the all of the Gaters? 

Mr. Kovar . . . . How does the capacitor work when running a fan?  Being not too smart with electricity . . .  I've never understood how that works. :classic_huh: 

On 1/5/2022 at 7:58 PM, Terry Fisher said:

My brother saw this fan in an Oklahoma City antique mall and said I should check it out.  Several days later I did just that. The fan was in great shape (just very oil gunk dirty)  and the seller dropped his asking price by $185 so I could not pass it up for $350. After about 7 hours of cleaning and adding a new power cord here is how it looks.  Stan Adams says it was manufactured in 1938. The fan starts with a capacitor and sure does run quietly with very smooth oscillation. 

Emerson badge.jpg

Emerson front.jpg

Emerson motor tag.jpg

Emerson side.jpg

Emerson back close.jpg

Emerson back left close.jpg

Emerson side.jpg

Emeson speeds.jpg

Emerson back profile.jpg

Emerson Back.jpg

That is a awesome Emerson for a killer price. I haven't seen any chrome ones in such beautiful original condition. 

Trevor said, " I wonder if that is a post factory chrome though. Its pristine condition and the speed control numbers being exposed seems strange to me. Haven't seen that on the factory Emerson chromes."

I believe the chrome is original. There was some very minor rust in a few places that I was able to polish out with Mothers Polish. Also, Stan Adams has the same fan. The speed control numbers on his fan base are applied in the same way as they are on my fan base. 

• Like 1

Wow Terry that’s a beautiful Emerson. Looks almost mint condition too. Never realized Emerson made chrome fans. The blades reminds me of silver swan blades. Hopefully I can come across some rare fans like that at antique malls or antique shows someday. 

Edited by Quentin Malzahn