R & M 1604A

James Landry

When it's 95° or so in the garage, I keep my cool with this li'l air mover: does a great job (along with wall a/c fan only. When it gets to be 105+, I'll kick on the a/c. Lol).

20230831_004922.thumb.jpg.6160a041be2b0618fbd449b712a22901.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• James Landry

• Stan Adams

• Paul Carmody

• Anthony Lindsey

So, I can probably say for sure that it needs new bushings, as there is some shaft slop that is audible when moved side to side and up and down. Not a huge amount it seems, but enough to make a noise when the shaft is pushed to be bottomed out in the housing and wiggled. UGH! Didn't notice any noise when I first got it running and oscillating-actually was pretty smooth-but then again, the blades were way off and rpm's were slower then. Now when oscillating, there is a slight chatter in one spot of the pivot which I attribute to the aforementioned bushings. Is it feasible to change these out on this model and if so, where would I find any? What tools do you need for this procedure? Can these things be sleeved? Any info is greatly appreciated! Thanks

Yep. Ran it a bit, now it has a constant rattle coming from motor housing, so I just tore it back down and confirmed the bushings are bad. Should've checked that right off, but I wanted to make sure it ran first. Looks like both shafts are getting oiled fine, but I oiled the dickens into the oil holes and the wicks probably need to be replaced (but actually look o.k.), as they are pretty flush with the bores, maybe I can push them down a little? Where can I get bushings and will the metal crumble if I attempt to install new ones in the housings? Thanks