Shedd Electric & Mfg. Co./Weyant/Sittmann & Pitt Fan Motor At The Pan American Expo. 1901

Russ Huber

In 1901 Shedd Electric & Mfg. Co. had their first fan motors on display at the 1901 Pan American Exposition in Buffalo, NY. The first Shedd oscillating fans used fan motors from other manufacturers on the open market locked into a patented oscillating device from Thomas Romer Weyant that it appears had to be made by a firm Weyant attempted and failed to contract by the name of Sittmann & Pit. Weyant hired this firm to machine and build the device in May of 01, and terminated with them in Oct. 1st of 01.  The Pan American Exposition was in session May 1st through Nov. 2nd of 01. The Weyant patent oscillating devices on those open market fan motors displayed by Shedd(NY agency?) had to be manufactured by Sittmann & Pitt.  It would be my distinct impression there weren't many of them made being that Weyant was in conflict with Sittmann & Pitt, and terminated business with them by Nov. 1st of 01.  By 02 Weyant was free of Sittmann & Pit with a new oscillating fan motor patent and somehow engaged with Shedd. Shedd Electric Co. incorporated in NJ in 04.

Official Gazette of the United States Patent Office - Google Books

Sittmann&Pit01.v1.jpg

Shedd01-2.png

Shedd01.png

WeyantPatent.png

Edited by Russ Huber

New 1902 patented Weyant vane oscillator marketed under Shedd.

shedd_feb 1902.jpg

Weyant 1st patent Sittmann & Pit manufactured oscillating devices.

shedd_feb 1902 (2).v1.jpg

Edited by Russ Huber

Just exactly what Shedd was prior to his partnership with the Shedd vane designer Thomas Romer Weyant is not known to me. If Shedd financed the manufacture of Weyant's oscillating fan motor in 1902, where did Shedd get the money? Who or what to h ell was Harry Shedd back in 1901 and 02?

Another myth is Shedd as a NY manufacturer. It never happened. Shedd Electric was in NJ. from day one.  Shedd Electric Co. held a NY office which would have been on the fan motor tag as New York until 1906. Shedd dropped his NY office in 07 and did business directly through the Roselle, NJ. factory location. If you have a Shedd fan with a NY address on the tag, this was because Shedd still held office in NY through 06. Shedd fan motor tags with Roselle, NJ. address date 1907+

Shedd was a partner(one of the wallets to finance Weyant/) and agent for Weyant's fan motor oscillating patents in the early years. In a nutshell, Shedd didn't design the early oscillating fans. I am not even sure of if Shedd himself designed the vane oscillating patent used by Shedd and Westinghouse in 09, or just signed his name to the patent.

Shedd04.png

SheddRoselle07.v1.jpg

Shedd07.v1.jpg

In 1901 Shedd was in conflict with Sittmann & Pit who were in process of machining Weyant's patented oscillator starting in early May. Sittmann & Pitt held a high price on their bid for contract with Weyant and without a signed contract Weyant ran the risk of Sittmann & Pit stealing his concept for fan motor oscillation. In retaliation Weyant stopped business and manufacture with Sittmann & Pit effective Oct. 1st 01. Shedd and some other deep pockets must have convinced Weyant to come in their direction to pursue his fan motor oscillation patents. 

Here are the wallets financing Weyant's oscillator patents and the Shedd agency and business. The electrical trade image dates early 04.

SheddIncorp.04.v1.jpg

Edited by Russ Huber

The Shedd fan motor legend is actually the brainchild of Thomas Romer Weyant. Shedd and a few other wallets jumped on opportunity band wagon. 🙂

This auxiliary comfort base table must be one of the first year run tables of 03.   Shedd Electric & Mfg. Co. of.........NY

Shedd2 (1).png

Shedd03.jpg

Edited by Russ Huber

Some good background history at: 

https://www.afcaforum.com/view_topic.php?id=11883

Then factor in this:

947080256_27Jun1914SummitNJRecord-Shedd.png.e741c8236e4757ddc325b84fc7d1b4cb.png

After that date, he turns up as an auto license inspector and, mainly, director of the automobile underwriters detective bureau for years afterward... With several patents, he moved from Roselle to Elizabeth. Too much to sort on short notice. I'd like to see that 999890 .. I'm going to look into Weyant instead...

My gut instincts are telling me Shedd Electric had to pay AB/Jandus for use of Bernie Stowe's patented concentric gear mesh.  I would also bet not many were made.

Diehl/Jandus/Dayton/Shedd Epicyclic/Planetary/Concentric Gear Years - Pre-1950 (Antique) - Antique Fan Collectors Association - AFCA Forums

Edited by Russ Huber

It appears Harry Shedd may of been out of the game at Shedd Electric as early as 11.

CORPORATIONS OF NEW JERSEY Page 634. (njstatelib.org)

Shedd Electric Company, Inc. - 130 Broad St., Elizabeth, Corp. Act. Aug. 21, 1911 Perpetual. 50,000 100 30,000
    Agent, Nathan R. Leavitt.
Edited by Russ Huber

29 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

My gut instincts are telling me Shedd Electric had to pay AB/Jandus for use of Bernie Stowe's patented concentric gear mesh.  I would also bet not many were made.

Diehl/Jandus/Dayton/Shedd Epicyclic/Planetary/Concentric Gear Years - Pre-1950 (Antique) - Antique Fan Collectors Association - AFCA Forums

That is too cool, I've not seen this one before. I love the shedd oscillator base...would love to have one!!

"Just exactly what Shedd was prior to his partnership with the Shedd vane designer Thomas Romer Weyant is not known to me. If Shedd financed the manufacture of Weyant's oscillating fan motor in 1902, where did Shedd get the money? Who or what to h ell was Harry Shedd back in 1901 and 02?"

109053963_1894EastonDirectory-Shedd.png.2b476fc41b14eed95f268cefc94a8c7f.png

1532672167_1894EastonDirectory-H.M.Shedd.png.ec696bedd4c1861563f6fe85d5c30779.png

1900 Manhattan Census- Shedd.png

14 Sep 1901 Albany Argus- Shedd.png

31 Oct 1908 Newark ledger- Shedd.png

13 Nov 1908 NY World- Shedd.png

1910 Census- Shedd.png

23 Aug 1911 Newark Star- Shedd.png

Edited by Steve Rockwell

Is it possible Weyant had Shedd working on his oscillating devices unknown to Sittmann & Pitt prior to terminating with them, and yet in time to display them before the Pan American Expo closed Nov. 1,  1901?

Weyant had terminated with Sittmann & Pitt on Oct. 1, 1901. 

76322568_14Sep1901AlbanyArgus-Shedd.png.f2b0ca62b7a776fcf3985e6244603301.png

Westinghouse manufactured Shedd badged fan motors ranging 12" & 16" stationary & oscillating alternating and direct current. The "Comfort" line of Shedd vanes were offered through 08.  Shedd introduced a new vane oscillator from their factory in 09 using the same vane design he sold to Westinghouse. In 1913 Westinghouse dropped their vane oscillator from their product line. Shedd went bankrupt in 14.

7012_071109_030000000.jpg

Cage Badge After.jpg

Motor Badge After.jpg

16inchshedd.jpg

SheddWesty09.v1.jpg

32 minutes ago, Steve Rockwell said:

1731564299_AFCANow.thumb.png.65e9b4f4a1d1e152248e5ccad1cb64ba.png

https://www.afcaforum.com/view_topic.php?id=11883   8th Post, not 4th

https://www.afcaforum.com/view_topic.php?id=15759   9th Post   Incorporated Jun 1901

I wonder..... 1515453943_10Jul1903NYWorld-StandardFanMotors.png.38e77ee29a11fd896429705ebbeb21e4.png

I'll have to post new Weyant info some later opportunity........

The "Standard Fan Company" shown on Weyant's patent filed in 1900 was with little doubt the company to be intended to market his oscillation device with Sittmann & Pit that never happened. The "Standard" in the image you posted at the bottom is a R&M fan introduced in 02. R&M was known as.......the Standard. 🙂 

Shedd ANNOUNCED offerings 01-09.

1901 Shedd/Weyant patent oscillating mechanism that a fan motor on the open market can be mounted into.

US691426-0.png

1902 Shedd/Weyant patent manufactured fan motor WITH HEAD CORD BASE TO MOTOR(No 360 degree rotation option) with vane oscillating device "Comfort" trademark. It appears this model was only a one season manufacture.

Shedd-02-1.png

Shedd-02-2.jpg

1903 Shedd/Weyant improved 360-degree oscillation capability (brushed slip rings in base column) fan motor with improved vane and guard "Comfort" trademark. It appears this "Comfort" vane oscillating fan motor model remains on the market spanning 03-08.

Shedd03.v1.jpg

Shedd03.png

1905 introduction Shedd manufactured "Universal" stationary fan motor with BALL PIVOT for desk or bracket option. Offered in 12" & 16" sizes for direct current. Offered in 12" only AC brush motor. Still offered in 1909 electrical trade.

Shedd05-2.v1.jpg

Shedd05.v1.jpg

New improved Shedd vane oscillator offered for the 1909 fan motor season. Same year Westinghouse implements Shedd's vane patent on their tank motor fan.

SheddOsc.09-lanczos3.jpg

Shedd09.jpg

Shedd09-2.jpg

Shedd markets all Westinghouse manufactured tank motor options in alternating and direct current. 

sheddvane09.jpg

SheddWesty09.v1.jpg

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 1