GE Pendulum Fan CAD

Louis Luu

2 hours ago, Louis Luu said:

image.png.e87fce8aace6c43c252e2ba5cae8ce9b.png

I am intrigued by this Louis - what keeps the pendulum swinging ? 
In a clock the pendululum is purely the regulation of the power provided either by the dropping of a weight or from a spring.

So where is the power coming from for the pendulum effect on this fan ? 

6 hours ago, Steve H Jordan said:

I am intrigued by this Louis - what keeps the pendulum swinging ? 
In a clock the pendululum is purely the regulation of the power provided either by the dropping of a weight or from a spring.

So where is the power coming from for the pendulum effect on this fan ? 

Works in a similar way as a vane oscillator.

image.thumb.png.010b5b75b7efc0b053a090d04f423ed0.png.c499ece405bfa78b418359b8886fb866.png

With a vane oscillator, the vane partially blocks the flow of air on one side (an air pressure imbalance), thus causes the fan to sweep to the other side.

Instead of a vane, the fan in the patent shifts the motor head to the side to cause the air pressure imbalance.

I assume the motor head, blade and cage would be slightly heavier than the bottom counterweight.

The lever actuator and base stops cause the sweep to change direction.

Edited by Jim Kovar
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Jim Kovar said:

image.thumb.png.010b5b75b7efc0b053a090d04f423ed0.png.c499ece405bfa78b418359b8886fb866.png

Instead of a vane, the fan in the patent shifts the motor head to the side to cause the air pressure imbalance.

The oscillation process always starts CCW due to the tilt weight on the left guard support.  The pivotable bulbous counterweight below the fan motor kicks the fan motor back clockwise to start the process over again. Do the math by studying #15, #16, and #17 keeping in mind the fan motor and counterweight below pivot. #14 and opposite side are set screws to reduce or increase sweep in some manner. Haven't gotten that far yet. 

image.v1.jpg.e87fce8aace6c43c252e2ba5cae8ce9b.png

image.thumb.v1.jpg.6f5458cf3f32fcdf6e6a446dfa0f0c90.png

7_211011_400000000.jpg

7_211011_190000000.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Louis Luu said:

What would happen when one of the stop reaches the other stop?

The fan body pivots upright slightly, the weight on the left hand guard strut pulls the fan body back down to a tilt kicking it back the other direction.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Louis Luu said:

This is one heck of an oscillating mechanism.  

I think Ralph had second thoughts on that.  Rockwell credited images.

image.thumb.png.6f5458cf3f32fcdf6e6a446dfa0f0c90.png

US963849-0.png

US963849-1.png

First.png

Second.png

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jim Kovar said:

With a vane oscillator, the vane partially blocks the flow of air on one side (an air pressure imbalance), thus causes the fan to sweep to the other side.

I assume the motor head, blade and cage would be slightly heavier than the bottom counterweight.

The lever actuator and base stops cause the sweep to change direction.

Thats fascinating - I look forward to watching this project with interest.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Steve H Jordan said:

Thats fascinating - I look forward to watching this project with interest.

On 10/12/2023 at 10:46 PM, Louis Luu said:

This is one heck of an oscillating mechanism.  I will need to read the text again this weekend and make some notes to the parts referenced to fully appreciate the patent description.

I am fascinated as well, Louis. I am glad to see your enthusiasm with Ralph's concept, and your own personal back-up options displayed. It appears you are going to pursue it. Can't wait to see it work. What fan motor are you going to attempt this challenge with?  

2 minutes ago, Louis Luu said:

The measurements is a starting point to get the proportions correct for drawing.  I need to have a size reference.

The motor dimensions are not critical to the function of this concept. Most fan motors are symmetrical.  The 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock guard support configuration is critical to this concept as you know with the ADJUSTABLE weight on the 3 o'clock guard support. The lower counterweight will be your challenge. Good luck. 

• Thanks 1

• Louis Luu changed the title to GE Pendulum Fan CAD