GE Pendulum Fan CAD

Louis Luu

Will draw up the bottom portion of the base when my bearings arrive.  Motor will be drawn last.  I'm debating about making the strut balance out of lead?  Will do both I guess as I don't really know how much mass to put on it.

36 minutes ago, Louis Luu said:

Motor will be drawn last.  I'm debating about making the strut balance out of lead?  Will do both I guess as I don't really know how much mass to put on it.

FWIW....You could use a common fan motor with mounting post under the fan motor to secure into your pivoting base. A centrifugal start stamp steel Westinghouse fan head would be one functional example. You simply drill into the front motor housing at the 3 o'clock position to mount a small steel bar that allows a weight to be slide adjusted for proper tilt position. 

Unless your intentions are to recreate an early 20th GE DC fan motor. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

FWIW....You could use a common fan motor with mounting post under the fan motor to secure into your pivoting base. A centrifugal start stamp steel Westinghouse fan head would be one functional example. You simply drill into the front motor housing at the 3 o'clock position to mount a small steel bar that allows a weight to be slide adjusted for proper tilt position. 

Unless your intentions are to recreate an early 20th GE DC fan motor. 

I'll look into it.  I do really like the early GE DC motors Kim posted.

10 minutes ago, Louis Luu said:

I do really like the early GE DC motors Kim posted.

You and everybody else. Liking it and reproducing it are two different things. A prototype model to see just how well it functions first may be wise. I am sorry to say there are no examples of Ralph's oscillating concept advertised for the market in electrical trade. The stationary Westinghouse stamp steel centrifugal start fan head could even be modified to the 4 strut configuration. FWIW. 

8 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

You and everybody else. Liking it and reproducing it are two different things. A prototype model to see just how well it functions first may be wise. I am sorry to say there are no examples of Ralph's oscillating concept advertised for the market in electrical trade. The stationary Westinghouse stamp steel centrifugal start fan head could even be modified to the 4 strut configuration. FWIW. 

Can you post a picture of this westinghouse?

8 minutes ago, Louis Luu said:

Can you post a picture of this Westinghouse?

I apologize. It is not a post mounting under the fan head like the oscillator, but modifications could be made if necessary, without great difficulty. They are fairly abundant out there, self starting, and come in 4 or 6 wing models. 

IMG_1337.thumb.JPG.66101acb7e3ded8d49a996e3cb4d1e55.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

IMG_1337.thumb.v1.jpg.66101acb7e3ded8d49a996e3cb4d1e55.jpg

image.png.c66c1f3e732e53757ff8424bbb0ec4bd.png

I have one of the Westinghouse you are referring to.  Unfortunately, the size of the motor will be a bit too big for the pendulum.  I do like the look of the early GE DC style so I will be aiming for that look.  It is time I learn how to do the winding anyway.  I can sort of see how this pendulum would work out but need to see it working to believe it.  The bearings will be arriving next week and I will  continue to draw the bottom of the base.  The bottom portion of the base has two plates allowing adjustments for the stopper....I figured out how to make that happen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Russ Huber said:

I apologize. It is not a post mounting under the fan head like the oscillator, but modifications could be made if necessary, without great difficulty. They are fairly abundant out there, self starting, and come in 4 or 6 wing models. 

IMG_1337.thumb.JPG.66101acb7e3ded8d49a996e3cb4d1e55.jpg

My bad. no need to apologize. The Westinghouse fan motor has a post extending down into the pivot so it can swivel. Using it to make a prototype would be easier on the pocketbook. Your project, your money, your call. 

83514_081049_590000000.jpg

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Louis Luu said:

I have one of the Westinghouse you are referring to.  Unfortunately, the size of the motor will be a bit too big for the pendulum.  

And you think a GE DC stick mount fan head is going to be a correct size and a featherweight? 

100_8485.JPG

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

And you think a GE DC stick mount fan head is going to be a correct size and a featherweight? 

100_8485.JPG

It will be sized proportionally...I like the look.

• Like 1

image.png.55db92a97283982b0d55d71898d15a7d.png

GE Type DA   X1

The photo in the 24th Post (I wish they still were numbered) is plainly the model for the patent drawing.....

Edited by Steve Rockwell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/22/2023 at 2:37 PM, Russ Huber said:

I've had this stuffed away for 15 to 20 years now hoping a motor would turn up. Never had a chance....

IMG_20231027_110510933~2.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Michael Rathberger said:

I've had this stuffed away for 15 to 20 years now hoping a motor would turn up. Never had a chance....

IMG_20231027_110510933~2.jpg

Louis is on it. He's got this one. 

83514_081049_590000000.jpg.6ee4c1de611e61a36deacb0903a20f93.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The base is done. I've made it so the current bearings I have can pressure fitted between the top plate and middle plate. The top plate does have clearance so it can swing without obstruction. The middle plate and bottom plate has spacers for the stoppers to freely adjust with a thumb screw. The bottom plate will be locked to the middle plate with screws. The top plate will be free to spin but not come loose....has a middle screw that will allow for tension and prevent it from coming off. The base is also designed to be heavy so it will not move when swinging back and forth and rotating. The motor will be the next obstacle. I do like the DC GE look but will be utilizing a simpler setup base on the the Porter Motors which I am more familiar with.

image.png.4dcc5e9c7279af41e1aa5ce97c497a79.png

Edited by Louis Luu

The stopper will be cut to size once the motor with the handle is done. The ring allows the stopper to be positioned to control the amount of rotation.

image.png.b0936714ea8737091ab98e0c229173c5.png