Interest in Menominee Fans

George Durbin

I've seen some interest in larger Menominee fans... I posted this 12" fan several years ago... I have a couple of questions on this stag horn model... I don't think they are rare but they are not common... Did Menominee make a 16" stag horn? Are the 8" versions more common? And lastly what is the age of a 12" staghorn?

20231023_181423.jpg

20231023_181515.jpg

20231023_181547.jpg

20231023_181525.jpg

Edited by George Durbin
  • Like 1

Have you ever been to Harrison to see Geoff Dunaway's collection? I unfortunately have never been there, but Geoff has shared a few images over time. When he does, I always pay attention. 🙂

Dunaway16.v1.jpg

• Like 1

With the exception of 2 type models, Menominee announced in 1917 electrical trade all other models will have black lacquered steel guards. The struts will remain brass for 1917. 

When Geoff posted these fans with BRASS GUARDS AND WITH BADGES...it shook me up. They would appear to fit only into the 1916 time slot according to electrical trade. The badge was introduced in 16 or 17. And it would APPEAR to be 16.

Fasco group 001.jpg

• Like 1

Georges 1917 model. The next season of 18 your same model would have lost the staghorn guard supports for steel struts like Patrick's recent purchase. Annnnd....your same model would have had a pot metal gearbox. 🙂

Are the 12" and 16" models rare? Darryl Hudson had been keeping a data base on Menominee models and serials. 

20231023_181515.thumb.jpg.5e82dac026076c5f580512f4ed62763a.jpg

Menominee17-2.png

IMG_20231017_203106671_HDR.thumb.jpg.3bf87abf88934964679456a733a343da.jpg

IMG_20231017_203116147_HDR.thumb.jpg.22dd7f05e9c27bad3f8868ea5ad20546.jpg

• Like 1

The first image of a Menominee desk fan with staghorn guard supports I have seen in electrical trade was 14, so far. 

Super duper 20th century rare Menominee..........in 1911 Menominee announced a 16" DC only model. Never seen it yet.  For years Menominee marketed a battery fan. Never seen it yet. 

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 1

13 electrical trade is the first mention of AC induction 12" and 16" oscillators. The oscillating mechanisms are described the same as on the commutated models.

Just where this model fits in the timeline remains a mystery. 

4A9C7442-8E66-4322-8449-DADB44AAC845.thumb.jpeg.d3f30a2627ef744bf646dd433d9ddef2.jpeg

• Like 1

If anyone has a Menominee fan they are in question about, please post your fan and question. If you have a Menominee battery fan with an 8" blade, you really need to post it.  I'll tell you the exact voltage to run it on. 🙂

• Like 2

1911 Menominee fan motor line:  8" tab foot, 12" brushed ball motor AC, 12" brushed ball motor DC, and 16" DC ONLY.

No AC brushless induction model until 1912.

MenomineeDC16.v1.jpg

1892. Menominee Electric & Mechanical Co. incorporated in Menominee, MI. with $20,000 capital.

1893. Menominee fan motor outfits (2).

1894. No KNOWN mention of Menominee fan motors. Probability they are on the market.

1895. No KNOWN mention of Menominee fan motors. Probability they are on the market.

1896. Menominee bipolar fan motor shown.

1897. Menominee bipolar marketed through Electrical appliance Co. Chicago.

1898. Menominee fan motors(bipolar)announced with changes. Full nickel plate bipolar introduced with ornate base containing cast dolphins. The fan is desk or bracket mount optional.

1899. Menominee ornate bipolar shown advertised.

1900. Menominee Electric & Mechanical Co. is now in a significant financial deficit. CEO Joseph Fleshiem commits suicide under the stress. Menominee Electric & Mechanical Co. is briefly held under receivership by a Chicago concern (Eureka) WITH INTENT TO MOVE THE MENOMINEE CONCERN TO CHICAGO. The receivership is brief in the early spring of 1900. Menominee business prominent R. E. Jennings was responsible for purchasing the Menominee Electric & Mechanical Company out of the Chicago receiver's hands, keeping it in Menominee, and back into the hands of original management. The Menominee concern then incorporated in spring of 1900 as the Menominee Electrical Mfg. Co.

1901. R. E. Jennings is elected CEO in the spring. Jennings takes a new direct current desk and bracket fan motor to NY LATE in 01 to show off to the electric trade.

1902. The John Brooks Chicago agency is given control of the marketing of the Menominee "Zephyr' fan motor.

1903. No known mention in electrical trade journals of Menominee fan motors. High probability they are on the market.

1904. No known mention in electrical trade journals of Menominee fan motors. High probability they are on the market.

1905. In January the Menominee Electric Mfg. Co. (the old Menominee Electric & Mechanical Co. structure) burns to the ground. Operations were moved to a building in Marinette, WI. Just what product continued to be manufactured in Marinette......? No known mention in electrical trade journals of Menominee fan motors.

1906. The new Menominee factory starts construction in Menominee. No known mention in electrical trade journals of Menominee fan motors.

1907. Menominee factory is completed and resumes manufacturing. Tideman made a critical purchase 07 from WESCO of St. Louis. 

Late 06 Wesco purchased the entire factory of the Davis Electric Mfg. Co. of Springfield, Mass. which included raw and finished materials. Davis was involved in Telephone, switch, and accessories. Wesco moved the factory to St. Louis. The factory was to be up and functional in St. Louis by Jan. 15, 07.

On March 20, 1907, the Menominee Electric Mfg. Co. purchased from WESCO of St. Louis the entire factory of the Davis Electric Mfg. Co. recently acquired by WESCO and moved it to Menominee, MI.

No known mention in electrical trade journals of Menominee fan motors.

1908. No known mention in electrical trade journals of Menominee fan motors.

1909. First mention of the universal motor 8" tabfoot fan motor as a new fan motor in DECEMBER of 09. This would be a STRONG indication Menominee was introducing the fan motor to the electrical trade for the 1910 FAN MOTOR season.

1910. WESCO is advertising the NEW to the market 8" tabfoot. Farr fan motor agency was not established until 12. Other possible 10 Menominee fan motor agencies unknown at this time.

1911. Menominee fan motor line expands advertised as 8" ac and dc, 12" ac and dc, and 16" in dc only. All are of the 110-volt trunnion bracket desk type. I think it would be safe to assume the 12" and 16" models were the introduction of the roundball variety.

1912. Menominee introduces for the first time to the electrical trade and their fan motor line their first INDUCTION (brushless)fan motor and the horizontal axis fan (slanged bank teller fan) 

1913-19. Many changes to the fan motor line in 13 with more to come. In 13 there is mention of a Menominee battery fan. 1914 Menominee fan motors are shown with cone base. 

• Thanks 1

The 1911 introduction 16" DC 110-volt trunnion/swivel model remains at large along with the 8" battery fan, both of the 20th century. There are other 20th century models that have not surfaced. 

Not to be confused with YOKE trunnions. The 16" 1911 DC has not surfaced to the best of my knowledge. But my logic is why would Tideman market a 12" roundball designated DC in 11 with laminated stator and a 16" DC not of same construction?

MenomineeDC16.v1.jpg

MenomineeDC16.v1-2.jpg

Vertical Switch Menominee Roundball Fan 5.JPG

trunnion.v1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here’s what I learned.Even if the packing is top notch 3 boxed.They do not travel well,the pot metal is very thin,and this is my newly acquired first and probably last Menominee.

IMG_1692.jpeg

IMG_1693.jpeg

Edited by Paul Carmody
  • Sad 1

I was so lucky to find mine locally and with an intact gear box. Even well secured in my truck I was worried a wrong bump in the road was going to be the end of the gear box. But it made it just fine. 

Has anyone ever tried to cast new ones?

• Like 1