Interest in Menominee Fans

George Durbin

So what did it come off of?

Im not going to put a lot if any effort into it.As I look at it I realize I don’t even like the fan anyway.

Edited by Paul Carmody
The

46 minutes ago, Paul Carmody said:

Im not going to put a lot if any effort into it.As I look at it I realize I don’t even like fan anyway.

Can we see the rest of the fan?

Whoever made the badge did an excellent job.The gold paint is done factory like precision.

It doesn’t look right for the fan though.

IMG_1701.jpeg

IMG_1699.jpeg

IMG_1700.jpeg

Edited by Paul Carmody

1918-19. That is a nice one. Don't get your undies in a bunch. There were members like Rich Becher that were really talented at repairing fractured die cast pot metal parts. Sometimes you need to back away from a thing like this and come back to it at another time and get your ducks in a row. 🙂

• Like 2

12" universal motor Menominee fans started in 15 and evolved and remained on the market until 19. Menominee changed their blade wings (round tip) in 19 and they did something internally with the oscillator gear mesh as a safety feature in the event something would obstruct the fan in oscillation mode.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Since I was kicking up dust the other day I will show a couple of things of interest and I have a question.

First look at how ridiculously thin the casting is.It had to hold up some heavy oscillator gears and components ,and a lot of grease.I have not seen so much old and new grease.Not a bad thing.At least it had soft grease.

When I unscrewed the cap it all came tumbling down.That’s a neat oscillator rod,adjustable ends like tie rods and ball joints on each end.

IMG_1784.jpeg

So the question is does any one have a photo of oscillator gears.I’m certain it’s missing a nut and washer.

Now look at the pattern at the bottom.It’s not caused by the gears.They do not touch bottom and the size does not match.Possibly machining?And the little tin patent tag.

IMG_1791.jpeg

Edited by Paul Carmody

It cracked right along the line in the pattern.In the back you can see the difference in the metal texture and color right where it cracked.

Arrow one I can see where the washer rode.Was it brass or fiber washer?They May have been in all that grease I scooped out.Too late now if it was.Second arrow I’m glad the felt washer was there ,or I would not have known why the oscillator didn’t engage.

A few hours soaking in gasoline and then a tooth brush it cleaned right up.Paint and all.That’s  what a family of tinkerers always used as parts washer.We we’re the family with old motorized machines everywhere and making a lot of noise.

So next I’m going to boil the pot metal to get all the oil out out of the pores the way I do it every since Mr Huber gave away that tip.I can’t remember what cleaner he used or if it was one of these.I have been using cleaning baking soda and borax to boil it with.

IMG_1792.jpeg

IMG_1793.jpeg

Edited by Paul Carmody

So here’s the last pic of interest.As I proceed I will move to a stand alone thread.

It appears that either the factory corrected a flaw ,or cleaned up rough casting.You can see the file marks and it cracked along the flaw.The arrow shows  a small crater that is casted in and the crack along the edge.

This thing is built like a tank and then they dropped the ball on the oscillator housing?

IMG_1794.jpeg

Edited by Paul Carmody

21 minutes ago, Paul Carmody said:

This thing is built like a tank and then the dropped the ball on the oscillator housing?

IMG_1794.jpeg

WW1 war material needs. Cheating on the gearbox wasn't personal. 

• Like 1

The first line is 6906-1924262 second line is NO.-16?567 There’s corrosion on the 3rd letter.It may be 4 but I’m not sure.                                
On the far right there is two marks facing to the side that is a 16.

4 minutes ago, Paul Carmody said:

The first line is 6906-1924262 second line is NO.-16?567 There’s corrosion on the 3rd letter.It may be 4 but I’m not sure.                                
On the far right there is two marks facing to the side that is a 16.

Thanks. I don't recognize the patents for US patent directory.  If you wanted to go to all the trouble, you could glue the gearbox segments together and send them to Cattail foundry and have them cast in aluminum. You would then need a machinist to drill the gear shaft holes and remaining mounting and cover holes. Or repair the gearbox.  The porous pot metal will have grease in it pores. You have to soak it in solvent to make the repairs hold firm, if you can.

Cattail Foundry: Casting Iron in Gordonville, Pennsylvania – Good's Store Online (goodsstores.com)

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Paul Carmody said:

A few hours soaking in gasoline and then a tooth brush it cleaned right up.

Put her toothbrush back!

She'll never know.  Thumbup.gif.a4c56335708edc5b0f15939877e8af9c.gif

• Haha 1