A very nice Lumanaire

Terry Fisher

2 hours ago, Evan Atkinson said:

I have never been able to compare the two models side-by-side Terry. The four wing Luminaires are the oldest versions and they're the motors that need that cutout for the pot metal bosses with their oilers/wicks and back motor shaft. I assumed that the six wing came after, and by that point Victor had begun retrofitting/replacing the motors with newer Victor motors that had no pot metal.

More powerful you speculate? Perhaps they are: I have nothing to compare it against. All I know is that on High, this thing blows air like an asthmatic gnat.  Puffs of air, not much else.

Both my 4 and 6 wing have oil cups. My guess is that the motor with the oiler holes was a replacement motor.  Often, the earlier, oil cup motors had crumbling pot metal bearing housings. Both of mine have cracks in them.  

• Like 1

That's a good guess. Another thought: the paint on both of our fans and motors is (my opinion) far too precise a match with the paint on the rest of the fans to be replacement motors, even if a repair shop had factory paint.

I'm thinking the motors in ours are a production run difference. Pot metal bearing holder Luminaires are a first generation design, no holders are second gen. If my recent memory serves, I read some Luminaire posts on the old forum boards that mentioned this. The pot metal bearing holders kept crumbling and Victor changed the design of their motors so as to avoid the problem entirely. Of course, it doesn't exactly look right, the appearance of the fancy back cage and cutout without bearing holders and oilers present, but you take what comes!

Edited by Evan Atkinson

Russ stated: "The good fortune for you Terry is members like Mike and Evan came forward with examples to give unquestionable support the polychrome finish appears to be the real deal."

Hey Russ........That is why it is a good thing to have our AFCA with members like those guys.

On 12/4/2023 at 10:51 PM, Russ Huber said:

Google FULL READ books continue to expand with each passing year. There is some stipulation with the full read book cut-off. At present, I have been able to access full reads late 20s, and in some books, as late as the 30s. Hopefully we will all live long enough to get a full read with some definitive answers for the various Luminaires. 🙂

The good fortune for you Terry is members like Mike and Evan came forward with examples to give unquestionable support the polychrome finish appears to be the real deal. I hope you did not take offense to my inability to provide time period ephemera/documentation to support it. It was nothing personal, I assure you. 🙂

Each January 1, books, movies, music, and other works released 95 years earlier enter the public domain. So for 2023 Google can have free books on it from 1928 and earlier. Next year will be 1929 etc. There are other free literature compiled sources but they charge small fees for the data storage and transfer. But all these databases will luckily continue to get larger.  You can find some newer stuff on there where the owner has chosen not to keep the copyright or donated its rights or a deceased person or corporate entity with no legal successor. 

Edited by Trevor Andersen

10 hours ago, Terry Fisher said:

Hey Russ........That is why it is a good thing to have our AFCA with members like those guys.

Damn right. I, unlike these guys, were unable to help you posting the real deal. I had opportunity a number of times in the wild. The prices were always through the roof on each opportunity, or examples with blown out castings. I don't recall any of them with the polychrome highlights.  Enjoy your toys. 

I just got a copy off ebay. I have a small collection of labor, building and masonry materials so I will add this to it and let you all know what I find when it arrives.

20231205_235524.thumb.jpg.ac07a00ebff9a06c16dd7275af3fa80c.jpg

Edited by Trevor Andersen

I consider myself a proud owner of controversial fans personally. Always something, so when this post popped up I felt some kinship with Terry. My copper flashed polar cub was the first, 50% thought original 50% not. Russ has since blessed this fan as original. Then I found a Jandus all brass with an actual 8" Jandus blade and not GE, no one thinks that's right. Then the infamous 12" GE kidney without a loop and a parallel ring cage which cause Chris so much grief (100% correct regardless of experts).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Michael Rathberger said:

Russ has since blessed this fan as original.

Since Terry's drip tubes are defying the logic of the force of gravity, I have been giving serious consideration of reconsidering the blessing despite the overwhelming allied forces bestowed upon thee, the Google book keeper.

IMG_0335.thumb.jpeg.7d3f16ce6efc1119ffe5f442255387fe.jpeg

8 hours ago, Michael Rathberger said:

I think they're drawn to the light Russ...

7 hours ago, Terry Fisher said:

Hey Russ,

You have never heard of reverse gravity? Your research must continue.😁

8 minutes ago, Patrick Ray said:

With the drips running the other way... Could it be an Australian variant? 🤣

How about, how many Vodka Martinis did Terry manage to slide down out in his man cave with his cleaning rag just before he put the tubes back on?  🙂

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

How about, how many Vodka Martinis did Terry manage to slide down out in his man cave with his cleaning rag just before he put the tubes back on?  🙂

7?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

Seven? I had 3 back-to-back in my 20s and completely lost my train of thought in the middle of a conversation. 🙂

It does matter how well you tip your bartender! You must be a good tipper Russ!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Terry Fisher said:

Hey guys at my age I don’t need to drink vodka martinis to mess up. In the old days the condition was called brain fag. 😳

Don't feel alone, I was in my 20s when cars had steel bumpers bolted to a real steel frame. At my present age one Vodka Martini is a 50/50 crapshoot between heaven and lethal. 

• Haha 2