Another ECK

Louis Luu

2 hours ago, Terry Fisher said:

That's a Good looking fan. Eck got his design right the first time so never had to make changes.

Thanks Terry.  These fans are indeed perfect.  My favorite is the three feet ECK.  I will need to put all six of these fans side by side.  They are a true sight to see.  I am almost done making the casting for the last one.  I am still missing the 12 inch Ming blade. 

3 hours ago, Terry Fisher said:

Eck got his design right the first time so never had to make changes.

Eck patented and designed the 03-introduction mechanical oscillator which remained unchanged 03-07.  In 07 Eck jumped a ship and was overseas and the independent US managed Eck Dynamo now with one of Eck's previous agents Wallace in the CEO chair.  In 08 the oscillating mechanism was improved, and the guard now sported a badge held center ring supported by 3 brass wires.  1910 was the last change to the Eck fan motor line with a patented improved guard and 4 tab base resulting in even better stability. The Eck DC fan motor line appear to have remained unchanged beyond 10 until 17 with the ming blade introduction and eventual steel guard introduction. The Eck MANUFACTURED AC oscillator was introduced 13 fan motor season. 

1903-07.

Eck03-07.png

1908-09

image (1).png

rsz_1eck08-bicubic.jpg

1910 +

1.png

2.png

3.png

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 2

Eck dropped the Goldmark & Wallace agency who held the rights to the Eck fan motor trademark name "Hurricane" 1903-04. The 03-04 Eck oscillators sported "Eck Fan Motor" on the tag. In 1905 Goldmark & Wallace were reinstated as Eck's agency and the tagged "Hurricane" fan motor line was back online. 

Find a dirt early Eck oscillator with Eck Fan Motor on the tag, it dates 03-04. Good luck!

Eck03-07.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Louis Luu said:

I'm missing something.  I don't see it.

Yes you do. There wouldn't be a dark area in the center smaller front guard ring if it was open.  That smaller ring in the center of the guard wing is supported by 3 extension wires extending from the larger ring. The guard on this model Eck would have been in use with a high probability of but 2 years, possibly 3.

image (1).png

Eck.v2 (2).v1.jpg

Eck.v2 (3).v1.jpg

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 1

Eck DC fan motors sporting the patented guard seen on this model (excluding ming blade introduced 17) were manufactured with virtually little to no change 1910-16.

IMG_8652.thumb.JPG.2fe904f5b6e1882bdc083a4febd28029.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Russ Huber said:

Yes you do. There wouldn't be a dark area in the center smaller front guard ring if it was open.  That smaller ring in the center of the guard wing is supported by 3 extension wires extending from the larger ring. The guard on this model Eck would have been in use with a high probability of but 2 years, possibly 3.

image (1).png

Eck.v2 (2).v1.jpg

Eck.v2 (3).v1.jpg 

Not symmetrical, and sloppy, but you'll get the general Idea. 🙂

IMG_1378 (2).JPG

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve Stephens said:

Russ, would this DC Eck on the left with the new guard and three feet be 1909 or 1910?

0D9E8622-D775-418D-A96C-206983A40F48.jpeg

The guard patent was filed in August of 09, late fan motor season, issued in 10.  It is possible Eck Dynamo made transition late 09, early 10. 10 season electrical trade introduces the new guard. 

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Louis Luu said:

I would be interested in when ECK switched to TIGRE and why?  I have also seen HURRICANE badge on the same style fan.

Eck Fan Motor Trivia - Pre-1950 (Antique) - Antique Fan Collectors Association - AFCA Forums

Steve Stephens wrote:A fair number of ECK Tigre fans were coming out of Argentina a few years ago. I have not seen one now for some time.

And here's a member's odd one supposed to be from Australia.

Eck Excello badge.jpg

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

Eck Fan Motor Trivia - Pre-1950 (Antique) - Antique Fan Collectors Association - AFCA Forums

Steve Stephens wrote:A fair number of ECK Tigre fans were coming out of Argentina a few years ago. I have not seen one now for some time.

And here's a member's odd one supposed to be from Australia.

Eck Excello badge.jpg

???????  What is going on with ECK overseas?

• Like 1

There is nothing to speculate. Early US fan manufacturers marketed dometic and foreign.  Eck, etc. established foreign agency and shipped the fans. If the foreign agency wanted Tigre on the badge, that is what they got. Early and even later Menominee Electric marketed to agencies and let them sell Menominee fans under the agency name, or trademark name. Who in the h ell in NY or San Francisco knew who to h ell Menominee Electric was? The consumer put their faith in their local contractor, or agency.

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 1

The Excello Eck did come from Australia. Here is a picture of the base tag. The fan runs on 220 Volts AC. 

Also in response to Louis' comment . . . I have several Jost hot air fans that are badged for South America. So this must have been a good market for some of the fan manufacturers. 

Excello base tag (Australia).jpeg.jpg

• Like 2

Eck mechanical oscillator blade guard evolution 1903 - 1920+.

1903-07.

Eck03-07 (2).png

1908-09.

Eck.v2 (2).v1.jpg

IMG_1378 (2).JPG

1910-1918.

image (7).png

1918/19.

a30d577b4c901d4091281c9912b3dff5.jpg

1920+-24(?)

Eck12-20.png

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Louis Luu said:

That 12 inch Ming blade is to die for.

It was a failed marketing tactic. The 12" ming blade had a short run on the market of 17-18, possibly 19. Eck Dynamo continued the ming on the 16" models with symmetrical wings starting with the DC in 19, AC an DC 16" models starting in 20. The long term DC fan motor giants Lundell phased out in 20,  Eck by 24, it appears. 

Don't see too many Ecks these days on any of the antique fan sites that I follow. I have the Hurricane and would love to find the one whose picture is at the top of this post.