Westinghouse universal motor fan

Quentin Malzahn

So. Westinghouse and R&M, redid whole tags when fans were converted to 60 cycle from 25 cycles. Ok. I have a bridge I'd like to sell you an Russ,you can split it. Cheap, 75,000. You can charge tolls. $5.00 each way. It's a gold mine....

10 minutes ago, Michael Rathberger said:

Ok. I have a bridge I'd like to sell you and Russ, you can split it. Cheap, 75,000. You can charge tolls. $5.00 each way. It's a gold mine....

Thanks, Mike, but bridges aren't my cuppa.

The first images are bad, but I know the guy that owned the early 16" stump. Micro date is 5-15-11 and style 162622.  

unnamed.png

IMG_4191 (2).v2.jpg

11.thumb.png.3b657252f0a821abaf3475c84927e5d1 (1).png

#2 was shared in past by Dennis Lebow. Another slightly later 16" 162622 with micro date 6-18-13.  

IMG_0799.JPG

11.thumb.png.3b657252f0a821abaf3475c84927e5d1 (1).png

Why do we not see many style 162620 12" models and 162622 16" models? Because they are, or were, originally 25 cycle desk fans. 

Am I seeing a 60 cycle over stamp on Quentin's 12" style 162620, or is it just me? 🙂

25cyc..jpeg

IMG_0968.thumb.v1.jpg.3e27b282cbc10e756c4429a7cb7f444f (1).jpeg

Edited by Russ Huber

Yes. A 2 and a 5 make a perfect 6 and 0. You weren't there and anything you say is subjective. The actual fan tells the story. 

15 minutes ago, Michael Rathberger said:

You weren't there and anything you say is subjective. The actual fan tells the story. 

Maybe something as simple as Quentin with a magnifying glass can help tell the story. 🙂

IMG_0968.thumb.v1.jpg.3e27b282cbc10e756c4429a7cb7f444f (1).jpeg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

This is the best photo i can do but it looks like 60 is engraved over the 25. If you Look very closely you can see itIMG_0973.thumb.jpeg.9df4d1c4ee938fc561aeb87b1598d2be.jpeg

Edited by Quentin Malzahn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael Rathberger said:

I stand corrected.

No need for that, Mike. You're just full of spunk! Raised in windy city tearing up and down the streets like Steve McQueen and 007!  🙂

Video | Facebook

2 hours ago, Quentin Malzahn said:

I wonder how they did that 

25 cycle system became obsolete, the owner hauled the fan into a motor shop be it local or Westinghouse related repair and replaced or rewound the guts and stamped 60 over 25.

• Like 1

Your fan is not original, it is better than that. You can plug it into the wall socket and use it. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Ah I get it someone over the years modified it to run on 3 speeds plugged into a wall outlet. still that is a very interesting fan I found 

Edited by Quentin Malzahn

23 minutes ago, Quentin Malzahn said:

Ah I get it someone over the years modified it to run on 3 speeds plugged into a wall outlet. still that is a very interesting fan I found 

That 60 cycle over-stamp is impressive enough to say your fan was converted from 25 cycle to 60 cycle by a skilled shop. Yes, you have a nice unique stamp steel. 

IMG_0973.thumb.jpeg.9df4d1c4ee938fc561aeb87b1598d2be.jpeg

Edited by Russ Huber

On 12/31/2023 at 5:59 PM, Russ Huber said:

Your fan can't have a copper speed coil with a brushed motor, it must be resistance wire.

If a series motor...  and
operating on AC as the
motor plate specifies,
why could not an inductive
speed coil be used?

43 minutes ago, Jim Kovar said:

If a series motor...  and
operating on AC as the
motor plate specifies,
why could not an inductive
speed coil be used?

After I read your question, I called an experienced motor man from our area I get along well with and asked him your question. He doesn't work on old fans, but he could not give me an answer to your question. All I know is every universal brushed motor I have seen uses resistance wire on the switch. Never once have I witnessed a copper wound speed coil on a universal AC/DC motor. The 25-cycle brushed motor stator I believe is a different animal beefy with copper.   

I don't know for sure what type of stator is now in Quentin's fan. 

Edited by Russ Huber

Unfortunately I don’t want to take the motor cover off because I don’t want to damage anything especially if it’s a universal motor. 

57 minutes ago, Quentin Malzahn said:

Unfortunately I don’t want to take the motor cover off because I don’t want to damage anything especially if it’s a universal motor. 

Nothing was expected of you, Quentin. FWIW...another way to spot an earlier stamp steel visually is the rear slope of the painted brass bearing cap. The die cast(pot metal) bearing caps do not have that slope. You fan is in very nice condition, and was undoubtly an uncommon style number 25 cycle model.

untitled.png

diecast.png

• Like 1

Russ I have Westinghouse’s sitting all over and have not noticed that.That will make them easier to spot on listings.👍

I just wanted to mention that the early Westy stamped steel fans with the bronze bearing carriers ALWAYS had the bearing carriers factory painted as seen below on my all original example.   Many times I see a fan posted (like the one Russ posted just above) showing the bearing carrier highly polished bronze which is a custom job done to bling out the fan; not original.

IMG_1337.jpeg

IMG_4169.jpeg

IMG_4168.jpeg

IMG_4163.jpeg

IMG_4165.jpeg

IMG_4166.jpeg

And if you do decide to bling your bearing caps out, there is a few steps. The early brass/bronze bearing caps are riveted on to the housing. In order to remove and polish the cap, you have to drill out the rivets carefully to remove the bearing cap. Take it to the buffing wheel. You then have to use a tap to thread the rivet holes and attach the bearing cap with brass screws from the inside of the housing. 

You then post a picture of your shiny bearing caps and Steveo will post how you shouldn't have done that. 🙂

untitled.png

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 1