Picked this very cool junk today!

George Durbin

I went junking today and Holy cow! I hope the museum buys the ceiling fans but the rest I am keeping...

20240117_104236.jpg

20240117_104249.jpg

20240117_163314.jpg

• Like 1

Who is the ceiling fan expert? Tell me about these if you know anything about these!

The gauntlet has been laid down! Give it to me!!

I am hoping it is a hunnert thou fan! The provenance of the other fan is it came from AL Capones brothel... So there is that... True or not... But I am going with AL Capone!

Edited by George Durbin
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

This is the one the members offline are checking out. 🙂

20240117_104236.thumb.jpg.a03db674abaa98cb565a4c5013dec554.jpg

This one is all brass interesting enough...

1 hour ago, George Durbin said:

The provenance of the other fan is it came from AL Capones brothel... So there is that... True or not... But I am going with AL Capone!

20240117_104236.thumb.jpg.a03db674abaa98cb565a4c5013dec554 (1).jpg

CIZ-COVER-0109-Fan-Museum-1.jpg

2 hours ago, Russ Huber said:

This is the one the members offline are checking out. 🙂

1 hour ago, George Durbin said:

I am hoping it is a hunnert thou fan! 

If you had at least 2, or more like it. 

51 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

Did you know AL Capone Tom? Maybe if you was at Al's brothel you can verify this maybe? 😁

2 hours ago, George Durbin said:

I am hoping it is a hunnert thou fan! The provenance of the other fan is it came from AL Capones brothel... So there is that... True or not... But I am going with AL Capone!

George, you would have been a natural in this profession. 🙂

main-qimg-8b0bc99a47dad07134a475165649e77c-lq.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, George Durbin said:

Who is the ceiling fan expert? 

There are no experts on this website, or on the outside looking in, George. There are people who pay attention to details and documentation over a number of years at various levels of knowledge involved on this website. And then there are people who find things hoping somebody else paid attention to details and documentation over years to tell them what they have because they could care less about details and documentation. Some people just want to know if it is worth a hunnert thou, or a coffee can of pennies. 

For the young members out there I encourage you to pay attention to the details and documentation. The more you study the books offered so far on Google, the various manufacturer's machines, the men behind them, it will take you back to a time when this country was one of the leaders of the pack by hardy driven to succeed engineers that worked with passion long hours in their trade. 

I know who made this belt driven fan. Not because I am an expert, I pay attention to what I collect and study. There is a clue on the fan staring you in the face. Anyone out there care to take a shot at the manufacturer? 

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 2

Freddy helped Jimmy and Johnny well over a century ago. You're looking at some of it. 

US423839-drawings-page-1 (1).png

US423839-drawings-page-1 (2).png

Edited by Russ Huber

Thnx Russ! The other "AL Capone" fan is a bit of a running joke I have with another... 

But this fan is quite a bit different and even with your nice pat. Photo I am not getting the hint of what the manufacture is... Maybe you reveal it to us pilgrams in time... The width of the belt drive area has me baffled and what application made that necessary🫡

9 hours ago, Russ Huber said:

This guy with his hands on his hips is related to AL Capone? Js...😁😆

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Russ Huber said:

Freddy helped Jimmy and Johnny well over a century ago. You're looking at some of it. 

US423839-drawings-page-1 (1).png

US423839-drawings-page-1 (2).png

The other belt-drive CF is 'modern,' I was offered several (like 7 or 12, I forget!) recently, passed. This looks like a Kulp/related companies belt drive. I'd have to go look at photos as my memory is not good now.

• Like 1

The width of the belt drive area has me baffled and what application made that necessary🫡

@George Durbin, it looks like that is for multiple belts, rather than one wide flat one... There does seem to be delineation for four belts! It was common to have several of these on a ceiingl run off one main drive, like the central spindle on a mower cutter deck.

8 minutes ago, Paul Michael said:

It looks like that is for multiple belts, rather than one wide flat one... There does seem to be delineation for four belts! It was common to have several of these on a ceiingl run off one main drive, like the central spindle on a mower cutter deck.

The width of the belt drive area has me baffled and what application made that necessary🫡

Your focus has no relevance on solving the mystery. Freddy, Jimmy, and Johnny.

another.v1.jpg

13 minutes ago, Steve Rockwell said:

image.thumb.jpeg.c6c24747008331ec3cdc6973ea44609f.jpeg

Thats based on one patent.  There are more. Tuerk water meter belt driven fans of this nature span 1889-95. In 96 The Hunter Fan & Motor Co. became the successor to the Tuerk Water Meter Co. They not only started marketing alternating fan motors supplied by the General Electric in 96, they were still marketing belt driven fans and water motor. Hunter fan & Motor did not incorporate until 1901. They were still marketing belt driven fans and water motor.

US420024-drawings-page-2.png

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 1

Loren Haroldson's post from past copied and pasted. 

1. 1877 Tuerk Hydraulic Power, makers of water motors begins in Chicago

2. Fred Tuerk of Chicago (he's the ceiling fan man) invents a water motor

3. In the 80's there is a Gustavus Tuerk in Chicago and among his inventions a water motor. I don't know if he is related to Fred, but it's certainly possible. He appears to be a big shot and inventor and might be the guy who bankrolls the company and gets his name on everything. (like Emerson?)

4. Fred works for Hydraulic and among his duties is advertising. He breaks away and his partners in early 86(Hunter boys) get together and using the old ads, and some new ideas in water motors, establish a new company in New York called Tuerk Water METER Co. This is to capitalize on the popular name Tuerk Water MOTOR which is made by Hydraulic.  Guess what? Tuerk Water METER  makes Water MOTORS...not Water METERS.  Sally sells seashells by the seashore... oops .. sorry.

5 Hydraulic sues and wins. Fred can't use the Tuerk Water METER name. I'm speculating this may have been the impetus to change the name to Hunter Fan and Motor, yet in most ads, the water motors and fans are given credit as Tuerks and in some cases they point out Hunter Fan and motor previously known as Tuerk Water Meter. (a bit of comprise for old Fred Tuerk?)Hydraulic continues to point out in all their water motor ads that they are the SOLE manufacturers of the Tuerk water motor.

6 To make it more confusing, Tuerk Hydraulic Power changes THEIR name in 98 or so to Standard Water Meter and they still make Tuerk Water MOTORS.

So Tuerk water motor owners, what do you have? Fred of Hunter fames' motor? or one from Hydraulic power?

Here's a link explaining the trademark infringement..

http://books.google.com/books?id=v-w7AAAAIAAJ&pg=PA385&dq=%22frederick+tuerk%22&lr=&as_brr=0&cd=2#v=onepage&q=%22frederick%20tuerk%22&f=false

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

Your focus has no relevance on solving the mystery. Freddy, Jimmy, and Johnny.

another.v1.jpg

I was about to add that the hanging bell did not strike any notes....  but the variable pitch mounts, that's the clue! I need to find the old photo I'm thinking of. 
[This in still in the editor after a reboot; I had a full crash and see now the additional photos. Tuerk indeed! I'd love to have three of these!]