R&M help

Alex Koh

I want to replace the head wire and am not sure on how to go about removing the stator, it's wedged in there fairly tight. This is a R&M 10" pedestal.376322979_rmmotoropen.thumb.JPG.2d9a470cd16e4c912f81ceabab5382ea.JPG
1470858246_RMWorking.thumb.jpg.86d9576164e1804bf2180d904f37f913.jpg

Have you tried holding motor above a wooden rod or hammer for example and lightly tapping motor into rod into ground? I’ve had very good luck removing many stators this way.

Get a section of pvc pipe that fits through the stator without rubbing the inside. Hold the motor on top of the pipe with it through and up against the top of the housing. Then hit the other end of the pipe on a hard surface, concrete preferred while keeping the motor housing held on top of the pipe. Make sure to not let the stator fly down and hit your floor. I wear a thick glove so the stator can fall out against it without smashing hand. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Alex Koh said:

Got it I will give that a try.

I would not use the pvc pipe or similar method on this. The end result might be to ever so slightly bend the rear housing and forever take the bearing out of alignment. You're better off trying to drive it out from the back side, either by slightly overdrilling the holes where the motor mounts go through and using a drift punch to catch the edges of the stator or through the rear vent holes, at an angle away from the windings. Using a pvc pipe, end of a hammer, etc, is a real risk on stamped steel housings. That process is better used for cast iron and, even then, cautiously with many fans. You can also freeze the whole motor casing, stator and all, then quickly heat the outside of the case while trying to drive the stator out. Sometimes that creates just enough of a gap in the freeze/heat between the case and the stator.

• Like 2

Alex ,be cautious slamming a stamped steel fan-- go to the old forum & look up Malcolm Mcgregor, he did some work on these & I think has some pics & info on stator removal. If it has threaded holes in the stator use them & lightly tap around the stator to drop it. Also some WD 40 around the outside ring to help loosen the varnish up from the housing, Good luck 

• Like 2

Here's what I did on a Westinghouse which are notoriously hard to pull stators from. I took a drill bit and drilled two of the holes on opposite sides in motor case on the back end of the stator. Just enough to get a punch through but big enough that the punch doesn't slide inside the threads where the mounting screws go into the stator. Then set the case over a large open vice, with the outside edge of the case astride the vice. Put something cushiony below to catch the stator. Then tap, tap, tap the punch evenly back and forth between the two holes. It will walk that stator out most every time. I spent a better part of a year trying four or five different methods on this before taking the dive and drilling the holes. From there, it took all of about ten minutes and it was out. The slightly oversized holes will be covered by the heads of the screws so no one will know the difference. You can see just how slight the holes were drilled out in the pic, below. The ones drilled out are those at 10 am and 4 pm. Good luck with this one.

81.thumb.jpg.8ff3df1e73a29d417e0bab8033fb102f.jpg80.thumb.jpg.8fa65929a27b9f7fa283b60d13b0c000.jpg

Maybe others have been successful with a pvc pipe, hammer handle, etc, but I have my first Vortalex, circa 1938-41, now a shelf decoration because I did just that. Had I drilled it out as above, it would be running great!

I will agree you have to be very careful hammering the housing into a rod on the stamped steel. It works wonders on cast motors though. 

if you heat up housing a bit and apply a little lubricant I think it will fall out very easily the pipe method with little force even on stamped steel. I am personally very against hammering from the other side. I feel like your almost completely blind and the risk to damage is high. I’m also not a fan of drilling extra holes. Either way has pros and cons IMO.

So I wasn't able to get the stator out. What I did was put metal rods through the screw holes and carefully tried to hit the stator while the housing was propped up on some blocks, and it didn't budge. I did carefully put WD40 around the stator where the housing meets and I'll let it sit there for a bit. I'll try again tomorrow but I am practically stuck on what to do.

15 hours ago, Alex Koh said:

So I wasn't able to get the stator out. What I did was put metal rods through the screw holes and carefully tried to hit the stator while the housing was propped up on some blocks, and it didn't budge. I did carefully put WD40 around the stator where the housing meets and I'll let it sit there for a bit. I'll try again tomorrow but I am practically stuck on what to do.

If you use the pvc pipe method you don't have to put enough force on it to potentially bend the rear casing. If you just balance the housing on it and let it all drop a couple inches and the pipe hit the floor many many times you may slowly get it to budge. 

I wouldn't use the PVC pipe method on a stamped steel motor. If you're hitting it hard enough with the PVC pipe to be able to get the stator out, you're hitting it hard enough to possibly misalign the bearings.

Do NOT use the pipe method. You WILL bend the housing, which will cause misalignment of the bearings. Then you’ll have a shelf sitter or be looking for a new motor. Drift punch, alternating sides will do it over an opened vice.   Be sure to feed in the headwire as it comes out or risk tearing the headwires out of the stator.  You can try heating the sides of the housing with a heat gun to make it expand slightly. 

Edited by Lane Shirey
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ben Guegain said:

Pipe will damage if you hit it like a beast. It only requires very light taps over and over, which shouldn’t damage the housing.

Ben and Trevor, Have you ever removed a stamped steel R&M?

Edited by Lane Shirey

9 hours ago, Daniel OToole said:

Lane....I would never drill i hole to get one out.i have removed then with pipe method and the large pipe method also.and i never broke one

I’ve never drilled a hole either. I remove them through the existing screw holes. Works every time. 

6 hours ago, Trevor Andersen said:

Yes. At least 6. 

10 hours ago, Ben Guegain said:

Yes.

Apparently your R&M stators were not stuck at all. Well then, I guess I stand corrected.  Alex, I guess follow the experts’ opinion at your own risk.  Not a method I would use however.  

Edited by Lane Shirey

4 hours ago, Lane Shirey said:

Apparently your R&M stators were not stuck at all. Well then, I guess I stand corrected.  Alex, I guess follow the experts’ opinion at your own risk.  Not a method I would use however.  

4 of them were pretty stuck. I used the pipe with short drops for the vibration to loosen and heat. Once I get movement I tap it out.

Okay so from what I am hearing some people are saying do the pipe method and don’t go crazy it. But then others say to not do it at all because I can damage the housing. So is there really a best method to do this? I’m sorry if I am not getting a grasp on what to do because I’ve never really pulled stators out these smaller motors and don’t want to break it because I did something stupid.