R&M help

Alex Koh

1 hour ago, Alex Koh said:

Okay so from what I am hearing some people are saying do the pipe method and don’t go crazy it. But then others say to not do it at all because I can damage the housing. So is there really a best method to do this? I’m sorry if I am not getting a grasp on what to do because I’ve never really pulled stators out these smaller motors and don’t want to break it because I did something stupid.

It can bend the housing so I don't disagree with it not being a preferred method. You have to get a feel for it yourself and decide. I never wanted to drill into housings to fix a motor on a fan. To most antique collectors the item being intact rather than working is more important. That being said, on most of the stamped steel Westinghouses the small pipe method is fruitless and will just destroy it. So you either have to try the big pipe on the housing edge or another method like drilling. The R&Ms all have more wiggle room from my attempts but I would try other methods before the pipe except for drilling. 

My two cents is that there is no risk whatsoever in doing a slight (look at the pic of mine above to gauge slight) over drill of two holes on the back side of the motor casing through which you can then insert a drift punch to line square up with the stator frame. No risk of bending the case as I’ve seen happen with using a pvc inside the stator even when just tapping. No risk of slipping off and striking a winding while going through a rear vent with a punch at an angle. Only downside is from a purist perspective. That being you’ve shaved less than a 1/16” off the edge of an already existing pass through hole where the motor screws enter into the stator frame. And that will be covered by the head of the screw when all is said and done. Only you will know and the next person that may have to pull the stator will thank you. There are of course other methods available. Using a puller system. An outside pvc/pipe approach. Etc. Again, for me, the above is how I would do it but to each their own. I hope all goes well. 

11 minutes ago, Dave McManaman said:

My two cents is that there is no risk whatsoever in doing a slight (look at the pic of mine above to gauge slight) over drill of two holes on the back side of the motor casing through which you can then insert a drift punch to line square up with the stator frame. No risk of bending the case as I’ve seen happen with using a pvc inside the stator even when just tapping. No risk of slipping off and striking a winding while going through a rear vent with a punch at an angle. Only downside is from a purist perspective. That being you’ve shaved less than a 1/16” off the edge of an already existing pass through hole where the motor screws enter into the stator frame. And that will be covered by the head of the screw when all is said and done. Only you will know and the next person that may have to pull the stator will thank you. There are of course other methods available. Using a puller system. An outside pvc/pipe approach. Etc. Again, for me, the above is how I would do it but to each their own. I hope all goes well. 

Has anyone made a puller for these or know parts to make one? Like an X or 4 point of contact that will fit between the coils on the rear side of the stator and then an X that will sit on the top of the open housing. Then a screw you turn to bring the two together and pull up the stator.

Edited by Trevor Andersen

I picked up a set of gear pullers and a thick metal plate and was going to do it on the Westinghouse I posted, above, about. But the rear bearing assembly was riveted in place so I skipped it as there wasn't enough room otherwise. There are a couple good threads on the old AFCA site about it. If you can get the center post through, it is another safe way to extricate a stator as the pressure is on the edge of the housing. Here's the main thread as I recall discussing both of those processes.

https://www.afcaforum.com/view_topic.php?id=42035&forum_id=1&highlight=westinghouse+puller+stator

• Like 1

• 1 month later...