Emerson Bedpost Fan

Louis Luu

What model is this one called?  I should be getting mine sometime this week.  A long while back Ben Guegain reached out to me to make a missing part.  After an extensive searched nothing showed up but a patent design.  I reached out to Bill Hoehn and he had one.  I figured since I already made the Emerson 1500 badge, I might as well make the bottom portion for fun and have it as a conversion kit for the Emerson 14644 fan.

Emerson 15644 Bedpost Fan From The Wild - Pre-1950 (Antique) - Antique Fan  Collectors Association - AFCA Forums

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Michael Rathberger said:

How is it wired to start without the switch or is it a different internal motor?

The Emerson Juniors of this circa were shaded pole motors. No need for a phase shift from the speed coil, as there was none. The first Juniors were plug in fans, no OFF-ON switch until 24-25.

Edited by Russ Huber

3 hours ago, Russ Huber said:

The Emerson Juniors of this circa were shaded pole motors. No need for a phase shift from the speed coil, as there was none. The first Juniors were plug in fans, no OFF-ON switch until 24-25.

Mike was considerate and didn't question what drugs I was on, or failed to take. 🙂

There is a 2 wire braided cord leading to the motor. The factory inline cord consisted of a screw in plug with an inline ON-OFF switch. I would say the chances of an internal mechanical start switch and start winding is high. It is either that or a shaded pole winding.

Dscf0026.jpg

Emerson 15644 Bedpost Fan 4.jpg

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Louis Luu said:

So does the Emerson 14644 need the switch to start or can it be bypass directly to the motor?

It needs the switch coil to to get the motor rolling.  They have a 3 wire head cord.

Use Junior fan motors. Modify the Junior motor housings for trunnion mounting. Durbin has a warehouse full of Emerson juniors. You can scratch each other's backs marketing them.

Someone must have had one apart once. The other thing is the back of the motor is a different casting it looks like for the wiring. My bet would be a junior type motor and not a cent start....

My best guess is centrifugal start, since a shaded pole Jr-type motor would probably draw a bit more than the 31 watts stamped on the 15644 nameplate.

I don't know who got Dr Hoehn's fan, but I remember looking closely at it. Both the 1500 & 11644 were centrifugal start & I think Derek is correct, this fan was probably centrifugal start. There was no standard switch on his, instead the cord went directly into the fan. Then a second cord came out the back which had an on-off switch, no speeds. The cord was long enough to reach the night stand & as Bill joked with me, long enough to put in the bed with you for a possible shocking experience.

I see nothing, I know nothing. I'm looking forward to finding out. In 20 years I don't recall this conversation being discussed.

• Thanks 1

Louis, the Emerson 8" centrifugal start desk fans go for chunky money because they are not falling out of the sky. The only way that Emerson bed post fan can start without a spin start or speed coil is either a centrifugal switch, or shaded pole motor. So your options being the bed post fan is in a trunnion, is either a centrifugal switch, or a shaded pole motor. So your options are the rare 1500 or 11644 Emerson 8" centrifugal start fan motors for trunnion mount. Not a pile of those floating around for modification. The next REASONABLE logical option for your bedpost casting reproductions is the 19645-trunnion mount motor housing (far more plentiful) if the earlier Emerson Junior shaded pole start stator and rotor will conveniently transplant(fit) into the 19645 housing??

Or.....modification of the 20s Emerson Junior motor housings to fit into trunnion. The drawback of that is loss of brass trimmings.

Edited by Russ Huber

10 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

Louis, the Emerson 8" centrifugal start desk fans go for chunky money because they are not falling out of the sky. The only way that Emerson bed post fan can start without a spin start or speed coil is either a centrifugal switch, or shaded pole motor. So your options being the bed post fan is in a trunnion, is either a centrifugal switch, or a shaded pole motor. So your options are the rare 1500 or 11644 Emerson 8" centrifugal start fan motors for trunnion mount. Not a pile of those floating around for modification. The next REASONABLE logical option for your bedpost casting reproductions is the 19645-trunnion mount motor housing (far more plentiful) if the earlier Emerson Junior shaded pole start stator and rotor will conveniently transplant(fit) into the 19645 housing??

Or.....modification of the 20s Emerson Junior motor housings to fit into trunnion. The drawback of that is loss of brass trimmings.

Thank you for sharing.  I will keep that in mind.  At least now I know I will be able to proceed.  I do have several Emerson 11644.  The goal is to be able to convert it without actual destroying it...kind of like the GE wall mount option.  As for the other Emerson option, I will need to research them some more since I don't own any of those.  George contacted me and will post his Emerson Junior collections.

28 minutes ago, Louis Luu said:

Thank you for sharing.  I will keep that in mind.  At least now I know I will be able to proceed.  I do have several Emerson 11644.  The goal is to be able to convert it without actual destroying it...kind of like the GE wall mount option.  As for the other Emerson option, I will need to research them some more since I don't own any of those.  George contacted me and will post his Emerson Junior collections.

Your 7 Emerson 11644's are original, and rare.  If you intend to convert one to a bedpost fan you wish to own with reproduction castings, sounds like a plan to me.  🙂

You won't destroy the 11644 you convert. You are simply borrowing the motor to include with your reproduction bed post castings.

The bed post fan has a braided 2 wire power cord with a ON-OFF switch inline to the fan. 

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 1

The 1500 and 11644 a both centrifugal (mechanical) switch ON-OFF fans with separate start windings.  The later 3 wire head cord phase shift-8-inch models require the speed coil to get the motor to start.

I have a 15644 that has a 4 wires out of motor with no centrifugal start. What start mechanism should be used here?

Edited by Ben Guegain

Just now, Ben Guegain said:

I have a 15644 that has a three headwire with no centrifugal start. What start mechanism should be used here?

Ben post pictures of yours.  I will have my fan here by Friday.  If they are the same, I will draw the missing part and also take pictures of the back motor.

5 hours ago, Louis Luu said:

Ben post pictures of yours.  I will have my fan here by Friday.  If they are the same, I will draw the missing part and also take pictures of the back motor.

Sounds like some funky shaded pole start stator Ben has. You can't draw that missing part, Louis.

Funny thing, makes me wonder if this motor on this bed post mount in the image is original. Sure looks like a braided 2 wire cord going into the motor to me.

Dscf0026.jpg

Edited by Russ Huber

17 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

Sounds like some funky shaded pole start stator Ben has. You can't draw that missing part, Louis.

Funny thing, makes me wonder if this motor on this bed post mount in the image is original. Sure looks like a braided 2 wire cord going into the motor to me.

Dscf0026.jpg

Well...Stop your grinnin...and drop your linen.  What I thought was the cord wrapped around the back of the motor is actually 2 sets of braided cord going into the back of the motor. You definitely can't draw that stator, Louis. 

Emerson 15644 Bedpost Fan 4.jpg

Edited by Russ Huber

6 hours ago, Ben Guegain said:

I have a 15644 that has a 4 wires out of motor with no centrifugal start. What start mechanism should be used here?

That's what we're trying to figure out. No one knows it seems. Chances are two of your four are power and two are switch based on the advertisements. Crack it open and let us know...