Emerson Bedpost Fan

Louis Luu

7 minutes ago, Michael Rathberger said:

That's what we're trying to figure out. No one knows it seems. Chances are two of your four are power and two are switch based on the advertisements. Crack it open and let us know...

It is not a start mechanism. It is the way the stator is designed/wound and energized through that switch.

I am lost....not familiar with Bedpost Emerson.  I will post pictures when the motor arrives along with my other 8 inch Emerson Bullwinkle blade.

12 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

No, you're not. Your right here where you have always been. 

If you're neither here nor
there,...  you're nowhere.
                  ~ Old Czech truism

Edited by Jim Kovar

18 minutes ago, Ben Guegain said:

At least here is equally as confused as I am… I have no earthly idea what this thing needs to start.

Stop being confused.  Just take the plate off the back and take a picture. Not only does a picture tell a thousand words, Rathberger wants to see inside. 

Emerson 15644 Bedpost Fan 4.jpg

Bedpost fan arrive.  Here it is.  I opened partially the front and the back.  It is two wires coming out of the motor and hooked up to a switch and power supply.

The bottom attachment parts is easy to draw.

Volts and watts are different from the one posted by Jim Kovar.

image.thumb.png.060fadca029dd9333a3f70986eb11cd5.png

image.thumb.png.401e84d4d233b0b4d3dd7d846b7f46ab.pngimage.thumb.png.bb35b64b6c4bf2dc1d43ff6be3692620.pngimage.thumb.png.8a7838be32ba43fcdd448ae58213e0c4.pngimage.thumb.png.eee3c240405acfa8a3fff9321ad26de1.pngimage.thumb.png.90e5dfdfbb0c61180c61ac9741c8efa6.png

Cool. So the hot more than likely is crossed, runs to the switch and back up to the motor. Perfect sense I think. Nice fan. Congrats. Now, cent start or not?

• Like 1

Inline snap switches must of been a thing of the future at that time. Emerson went through a lot of unnecessary expense and BS to juice that fan. It is either a shaded pole start, or there is a is a centrifugal switch tucked away in the back. Only 2 wires go into the motor. 

Ben must of got panicky thinking if he took that plate off the back on his something would go "Boing"

image.thumb.png.eee3c240405acfa8a3fff9321ad26de1.png

Edited by Russ Huber

When I have time, I will remove the front cover completely along with the rotor.  It was late and I just wanted to post some pictures of what the back looks like.  I believe Ben is missing the trapezoidal wire holder in the back....that can be drawn easily.

If I showed this inline switch to Herbert Finch and Charles Meston back when they plopped that puppy on the market, they both would have slapped a hand against their forehead. Talk about overkill.

Here I thought there would be some funky mind perplexing stator wind in it.

SwitchBlack3__61808.jpg

Notice in this advertisement, the fan does not have the triangle bit on the back of Louis’ fan. It is flat like mine and other xx644s.

Although it still does have two wire sets with an “inline” switch.. it also seems to me that one set of wires is entering the arm but it’s hard to tell..

I am still very confused despite everyone’s efforts so far.

7E23BD11-C294-4C50-B7F6-692E038A5806.jpeg

Edited by Ben Guegain

Gets more curious as time goes on. That illustration shows a long tag.

Thanks to the owners for cracking open their fans. Much appreciated...

• Like 1

The bed post fan was manufactured according to Emerson data in a very short window of time that being 1911-12.  Ben's stator shows a separate start winding inside the primary 4 pole wind. Logic dictates being there is no ON-OFF mechanism for the start winding, it is integral, or remains powered along with the primary windings to get the motor rolling out of phase until the primary windings gain full motor speed. 

The two varied design examples of the housing share just that. It must not have gained popularity as it only was on the market but a few years.

83005559-90CC-4D83-9BD4-154C69D2CF3B.thumb.jpeg.9123bd54c5b45ef46b6ad7717b8d4a4d.jpeg

Here it is...not special switches inside.  I plugged it and it runs.  Did not occur to me you can mount it two ways...on a post or on top of the bedpost rail.  I tried it on my Emerson 11644...fits perfectly. 

image.thumb.png.d9e48ddfbe79d9a1f620ad11b2583eb2.pngimage.thumb.png.f41bc94a40cac759db2902631a1fba8b.pngimage.thumb.png.c3db6a2be4a7888477888b28348e461f.pngimage.thumb.png.7c299c9a1e91aed4ca5ea8553512c919.png

1 hour ago, Michael Rathberger said:

Gets more curious as time goes on. That illustration shows a long tag.

I did not notice this detail. It seems

to become even more bizarre…

53 minutes ago, Ben Guegain said:

So Russ are you saying it’s as simple as the run and start windings run together the whole time?

Has to be. An AC electric motor has to have some form of means to get it the rotor to start spinning. Let's look at the facts. There is no evidence of a centrifugal starting mechanism in both examples presented. There are ONLY 2 wires entering the motor to the stator in Louis's example, which I am confident is as later design than yours based on electrical trade images with dating when it went to market. Both your stators support the inner start winding and the primary 4 pole windings energized same time with no means of power cut-off to the start winding. Once the motor gains full momentum it overrides the start winding phase shift to get the motor to start rolling, but the weaker start winding remains energized. The GE cake shades would work on similar principle.

I am no educated academic in the principles of electric motor design and operation.  I see a start winding...I see a primary winding...I see both windings simultaneously energized with no cut off to the start winding. Logic. There are more educated individuals in the club with electric motors than I looking in. If I am wrong, please correct me.

83005559-90CC-4D83-9BD4-154C69D2CF3B.thumb.jpeg.9123bd54c5b45ef46b6ad7717b8d4a4d.jpeg

image.thumb.png.f41bc94a40cac759db2902631a1fba8b.png

Edited by Russ Huber