Louis Luu

Russ Huber

You are obviously very educated with doing specific project engineering incorporating computer related skills and design. This is a huge asset and blessing to so many of us have nots. You have been very kind to me, so I have nothing but gratitude to you. What I would like too respectively project to you is ............what happened to the GE kidney gear box project that you have devoted so much time into? You were so close to finality on this project. 

I too do the same with my music compositions, I can be so focused on a specific song, and jump to another, leaving the previous composition in the dust to be lost in the abyss of many lost in past.  Please take no offense, you have already done plenty.

• Like 1

I already dropped it off months ago.  As you are aware...things are somewhat slow...very slow right now.  I have not forgotten.  The pattern for the molds were made.  My caster keeps promising me.  I try not to pester him too much.  I will ask again at end of the month.  I have projects I have not sent out yet due to work and casting delays.  I have not forgotten.  Charlie, Russ, George, Don are people I have promise to sent out free samples to for testing.

In the meantime, I am just getting parts printed in the anticipation that things will pick up.

I do want to thank you for the DeMott Patent drawing!  It is really helpful.

Gotcha! That makes complete sense. I have a factory forged brass ring kidney patiently waiting. I have little doubt you have been very particular about these gear boxes, and they will fit just like downtown.  Thanks for the update, and have a great weekend.

No sweat about the DeMott patent. There is more of that. Later.

• 3 months later...

If I don't hear anything back from my caster...I will start drawing them end of month.  Probably easier just to CAD them and save me the trouble of having them shipped.  Either way, I am going to get this done.

Edited by Louis Luu

If I CAD them, this will fulfill another thing I wanted to do.  Me and Don Tener awhile back talked about doing the top in clear plastic so the spoke gears can be appreciated.

Thinking back, if this lock down did not happen, I would have never had time to learn CAD.  But with the lock down, things are slow to pick up back to normal.  C'est la vie.

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, Patrick Ray said:

Louis, any updates on the Kidney gear boxes?

I manage to get a hold of my caster...he tells me he is back at work and will pour a couple and get my approval first.  But just in case, I am also planning on drawing it up.  Swamped with work right now.  Either way, it will get done.  I need a dozen or so myself anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got an update.....my caster says he got stuff for me to pick up.  Lets just hope it is some shiny boxes...Please!!!  I'll be heading down at end of month when I have time.  At least he picked up the phone and told me there is seven pieces of stuff...was in a rush and did not tell what stuff.  As long as it is stuff for me to pick up!

5 hours ago, Louis Luu said:

Just got an update.....my caster says he got stuff for me to pick up.  Lets just hope it is some shiny boxes...Please!!!  I'll be heading down at end of month when I have time.  At least he picked up the phone and told me there is seven pieces of stuff...was in a rush and did not tell what stuff.  As long as it is stuff for me to pick up!

Hoping it's the kidney boxes! Keep us posted. If it is, I'm sending the rest of the fan to powder coat so I can begin assembly. 

37 minutes ago, Patrick Ray said:

Hoping it's the kidney boxes! Keep us posted. If it is, I'm sending the rest of the fan to powder coat so I can begin assembly. 

I dying to get one done in French Grey.

5 minutes ago, Louis Luu said:

I dying to get one done in French Grey.

I am planning on doing some tone of off white. Like an antique white. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just got back from the caster.  The casting on these are good.  The lip issue has been resolved.  On the originals, the lips on the left was thin and uneven.  Only thing you will need to do is drill.  Russ Huber, Charlie Wicks....PM me with you address please.  I will inspect them further tomorrow and pick up some more this Saturday.

20220608_140651.thumb.jpg.cf3af19b03fe373ba3c014bf5f913ba5.jpg20220608_140604.thumb.jpg.03b6b1b491f8395500bb963bebaad14a.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Don Tener said:

Wow those look great. Very nice. Great job on those. I made the one you sent me a while back work with very minimal machining. These are much better than the "Gingersnap" ebay ones.

https://youtu.be/BL_Md5PjweY

Long time no hear from you Don.  When I get more, I'll send one your way including Charlie Wicks.  Is Charlie Wicks on this forum...I could not locate him.

On 6/8/2022 at 4:25 PM, Louis Luu said:

Just got back from the caster.  The casting on these are good.  The lip issue has been resolved.  On the originals, the lips on the left was thin and uneven.  Only thing you will need to do is drill.  Russ Huber, Charlie Wicks....PM me with you address please.  I will inspect them further tomorrow and pick up some more this Saturday.

20220608_140651.thumb.jpg.cf3af19b03fe373ba3c014bf5f913ba5.jpg20220608_140604.thumb.jpg.03b6b1b491f8395500bb963bebaad14a.jpg

I got mine today. My jaw hit the floor after performing tedious surgery to get it out of the securely taped bubble wrap. These gearbox castings are as heavy as the fan castings. 🙂.  I was wondering when I took the box out of the mailbox what else Louis put in the box.  All I have to say to Louis is........ WoW! I am very grateful and impressed with this gearbox.  Thanks so much for going the distance with these. I can't wait to get the drilling done and see how she all fits together.

I have a factory cast brass ring on one of the first kidneys I found years ago. That is the one that will get this gearbox.

Edited by Russ Huber