Louis Luu

Russ Huber

I have a couple of the last batch of bronze gearboxes which I gladly paid for. They will be gorgeous when done. Analysis by an experienced machinist who's been involved with several generations of kidney box reproductions, one in brass and another in aluminum revealed the followoing: the bronze batch had enough shrinkage in material thru the casting prrocedure that the appearance of where holes should be drilled in the unfinished castings is not where the holes should be for the gears to match up to the motor shaft and worm gear. Looks like each box will have to be machined starting with the mounting holes to the back of the fan motor then working from that  to measure the accurate placement of the mounting holes for the rest of the gears with the box attached to the fan and wormgear in place. May also need some reaming out of the sides of the box for lateral geartooth clearance. If any boxes have already been drilled by the appearance of hole positions in the raw castings, they can be salvaged by machining a plug to braze the holes shut and then remachining as mentioned above.

This will be an additional expense no doubt,  but I think will only increase the intrinsic value of this production run of Good Enough fans.  Thanks again Louis for tackling a project(s) with unavoidable variables, unknown until the work is done, just for fun,  squeezed into your spare time around your day job.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tony Clayton said:

Russ glad I'm not the only one with empty promises.

Your trade was not fair.  You kept adding stuff to the list of stuff you want and bad mouth someone who has been there to help me.  So please spare us the trouble of stoking the fire.  As for Russ and me...that is for us to settle out.  Only reason I posted was so that we all have a clear understanding of the trouble involved and not everything works the way it should be intended.  I was simply stating fact between me and Russ.  If Russ has a problem with me, he should have asked me for clarification.  I came home after long days work and called him to calm him down.  Apparently, it did not work.  Again, this is meant as a hobby. 

Like most things in life, everything else seems trivial.  This thing between AFCA member is trivial and will pass as I have seen many things come and go.  Just remember what is important in life.  Do mostly good and avoid doing harm.  Holding onto a grudge is not worth it to me.

As for your comment under sale "I will trade ya."  I've learn my lesson not to do trades.  Your trades are one sided.  Your wires are great but not fair to me. 

• Like 1

Folks, I'll make things simple.  I won't bother to pick up the bronze/brass castings as I have no interest in it.  It is more trouble and not fun.  I simply did it to help and to learn a task.  From now on, I'll stick to making stuff for myself and if you see something you like, ask me.  If I have them in CAD, I'll be more than happy to help.  This is suppose to be for fun.  And if you want to learn how to CAD, there are plenty of tutorials out there on youtube.  CAD is fun for me and that is why I do them.  Fan collecting is supposed to be fun. 

• Like 1

Keep up the good work Louis! Don't deal with naysayers as they are not worth it... 99% of the AFCA Appreciate your efforts! If anyone here can do this stuff better then stop whining and DO IT!!

As my wife says members can act like pissy little girls at times!

Good rule is if ya got nothing nice to say, keep it to yourself and work it out!... We are all volunteers here...

VP Geo...

• Like 1

I sent my brass gearbox from Louis Luu to Jerry Bravi to drill out the holes as Louis instructed me the indentations in the castings were the guides. I also consulted with Dave Dalsin who reproduced the brass gearboxes in past. He too stated he drilled the holes aligning and using a drill press. Jerri Bravi did not feel comfortable with this, but agreed to follow through. The gearbox came back to me, and the shaft holes wear not properly spaced. The gear mesh is to snug and dysfunctional. I am not holding Jerri Bravi responsible. I paid Jerri Bravi $90.00 for the attempt. That was fair. I respect Jerry Bravi. He tells it like it is and follows through like he should.

I contacted George Durbin and Charlie Wicks to see if they got their gearboxes promised as I wanted to see how theirs turned out. It appears they never got them.  Whether they are upset or not is irrelevant. Why was I so special to get one and not them?

Roughly a month or more ago Louis called me stating to me he was going to send me a stainless-steel gearbox and another brass gearbox. He was all excited about the stainless-steel example. I have nothing from that phone call. I don't want an explanation from Louis. He said in that phone call that he trusted me. I appreciate that. Why call me to tell me he is going to send something that didn't come?

Louis Luu and I are not at each other's throats. I don't hate Louis. I sent him a nice new meter to help him out. I hope he learns how to use it.  I just respect people that follow through with what they say and their promises.

I don't want any more from you, Louis. If others are supportive of you, please continue to support them. You are talented with skills that can help others here. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

I sent my brass gearbox from Louis Luu to Jerry Bravi to drill out the holes as Louis instructed me the indentations in the castings were the guides. I also consulted with Dave Dalsin who reproduced the brass gearboxes in past. He too stated he drilled the holes aligning and using a drill press. Jerri Bravi did not feel comfortable with this, but agreed to follow through. The gearbox came back to me, and the shaft holes wear not properly spaced. The gear mesh is to snug and dysfunctional. I am not holding Jerri Bravi responsible. I paid Jerri Bravi $90.00 for the attempt. That was fair. I respect Jerry Bravi. He tells it like it is and follows through like he should.

I contacted George Durbin and Charlie Wicks to see if they got their gearboxes promised as I wanted to see how theirs turned out. It appears they never got them.  Whether they are upset or not is irrelevant. Why was I so special to get one and not them?

Roughly a month or more ago Louis called me stating to me he was going to send me a stainless-steel gearbox and another brass gearbox. He was all excited about the stainless-steel example. I have nothing from that phone call. I don't want an explanation from Louis. He said in that phone call that he trusted me. I appreciate that. Why call me to tell me he is going to send something that didn't come?

Louis Luu and I are not at each other's throats. I don't hate Louis. I sent him a nice new meter to help him out. I hope he learns how to use it.  I just respect people that follow through with what they say and their promises.

I don't want any more from you, Louis. If others are supportive of you, please continue to support them. You are talented with skills that can help others here. 

Charlie and George are equally important and I do appreciate you asking why they did not get theirs.....they were not ignored.  I simply had a limited supply.  As for the stainless steel....I did state when I get them done in CAD.  It does take a great deal of my time doing CAD.  I will remove your name on the list....no harm no foul.  I also have Jerry's work...very excellent.  Russ...take care.  You are a valuable contributor to the club as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Louis Luu said:

Your trade was not fair.  You kept adding stuff to the list of stuff you want and bad mouth someone who has been there to help me.  So please spare us the trouble of stoking the fire.  As for Russ and me...that is for us to settle out.  Only reason I posted was so that we all have a clear understanding of the trouble involved and not everything works the way it should be intended.  I was simply stating fact between me and Russ.  If Russ has a problem with me, he should have asked me for clarification.  I came home after long days work and called him to calm him down.  Apparently, it did not work.  Again, this is meant as a hobby. 

Like most things in life, everything else seems trivial.  This thing between AFCA member is trivial and will pass as I have seen many things come and go.  Just remember what is important in life.  Do mostly good and avoid doing harm.  Holding onto a grudge is not worth it to me.

As for your comment under sale "I will trade ya."  I've learn my lesson not to do trades.  Your trades are one sided.  Your wires are great but not fair to me. 

You're completely wrong. I have every message you ever sent me offering item after item I never asked for. Want proof??? I will post them here. My offer on the trade for the fan was to get back all the time and materials I spent making 660 feet of magnet wire for you of which I still have, plus dying a roll you purchased from the UK. Rus is not the first to tell me of this sort of dealing with you. There are more; he was just the first to go public. So I threw in my 2 cent worth. You have never to this day traded me anything at all. So how you can say my trades are one sided is beyond me.

The items I offered to purchase were Victor cast badges and Dihel. You would not tell me where to send the funds and said you would give them to me for dying the wire. Never got them.

I later asked to have the gilbert pen holders repopped. You said it's easy to do. I wanted several sets. You did them but I never got one.

Also I needed missing parts for a VP2000 you made them but again I never got any.

So please do tell me what you have ever traded me that is one sided?

18 minutes ago, Tony Clayton said:

You're completely wrong. I have every message you ever sent me offering item after item I never asked for. Want proof??? I will post them here. My offer on the trade for the fan was to get back all the time and materials I spent making 660 feet of magnet wire for you of which I still have, plus dying a roll you purchased from the UK. Rus is not the first to tell me of this sort of dealing with you. There are more; he was just the first to go public. So I threw in my 2 cent worth. You have never to this day traded me anything at all. So how you can say my trades are one sided is beyond me.

The items I offered to purchase were Victor cast badges and Dihel. You would not tell me where to send the funds and said you would give them to me for dying the wire. Never got them.

I later asked to have the gilbert pen holders repopped. You said it's easy to do. I wanted several sets. You did them but I never got one.

Also I needed missing parts for a VP2000 you made them but again I never got any.

So please do tell me what you have ever traded me that is one sided?

Why do you think I stopped?