Louis Luu

Russ Huber

Do you note the lip is much thicker on the left and is now even for both sides.  I also fixed the dome to make it more aesthetically pleasing.  Also, the lip on the cover is a bit thicker.  Enjoy.

On 6/8/2022 at 5:25 PM, Louis Luu said:

Just got back from the caster.  The casting on these are good.  The lip issue has been resolved.  On the originals, the lips on the left was thin and uneven.  Only thing you will need to do is drill.  Russ Huber, Charlie Wicks....PM me with you address please.  I will inspect them further tomorrow and pick up some more this Saturday.

20220608_140651.thumb.jpg.cf3af19b03fe373ba3c014bf5f913ba5.jpg20220608_140604.thumb.jpg.03b6b1b491f8395500bb963bebaad14a.jpg

Charlie Wicks 113 Scott Circle, Elbridge NY 13060

19 minutes ago, Louis Luu said:

Do you note the lip is much thicker on the left and is now even for both sides.  I also fixed the dome to make it more aesthetically pleasing.  Also, the lip on the cover is a bit thicker.  Enjoy.

Why not just make it simple. This gearbox LITERALLY would have a high percentage of a chance to remain intact if this fan fell over backwards. 🙂

28 minutes ago, Charlie Wicks said:

Charlie Wicks 113 Scott Circle, Elbridge NY 13060

Charlie...when I pick up some, I will send it your way.  I'm all out currently.

On 6/14/2022 at 3:43 PM, Louis Luu said:

Long time no hear from you Don.  When I get more, I'll send one your way including Charlie Wicks.  Is Charlie Wicks on this forum...I could not locate him.

Thanks Louis

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Louis.  Any projection when you will have more of the kidney gear boxes available to sell.  thanks

3 minutes ago, Les Dobbins said:

Hi Louis.  Any projection when you will have more of the kidney gear boxes available to sell.  thanks

I will be dropping off some casting end of this month and will pick up/make arrangements to pick up some more.

Thank you.  I know you will set up to order through Shapeways when you are ready.  What will be the price?  I have one waiting to restore.

27 minutes ago, Les Dobbins said:

Thank you.  I know you will set up to order through Shapeways when you are ready.  What will be the price?  I have one waiting to restore.

No.  Those are lost cast wax casting I dropped off a while back.  As for Shapeways, it is good for small printing but big objects are costly.  I do have plans to have the CAD done down the line when this technology thing actually takes off.

These are limited casting.  I made only 150 original lost wax casting molds.  So far, I have only picked up 8 from this batch.  The first 8 I picked up was used for quality checked.  It pass my expectations.  But for long haul, I will eventually get to the CAD so I don't need to mess with casting.  I will most probably finish the CAD for the Kidney box sometime next month.  This thing is very difficult to draw up because I am not very good at this and have to always double check my measurements. 

• 4 weeks later...

Looking forward to the next batch! Seeing all the complete and running Kidney fans at Fan Fair made me want to complete my 12" 6-wing Kidney!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/27/2021 at 1:42 AM, Louis Luu said:

Charlie, Russ, George, Don are people I have promise to sent out free samples to for testing.

Can one of the above names mentioned please share their received finished Louis Luu Kidney box on their fan?

• Thanks 1

I just got done calling some members that were still in the club.  They will post tomorrow.  As for the  casting drilling, it is best to have the gears when drilling I was told.

As for my caster...I have no control what he does.  That is the reason why I'm moving away from casting and going to CAD printed metal parts.  I have better control of quality and shrinkage issues.

I'll be picking up one last batch of bronze/brass gearbox when the caster is ready and call it quits and moving my production to CAD instead.  Here is one that was sold awhile back posted on youtube.  I am by no means a machinist and don't claim to know anything when it comes to electricity or machining.  I just do this for fun.  When it comes to beta testing...it takes a long time to draw and even longer for printing company to send the parts to me.  That is part of the reason I jump from one project to the next...not feasible to finish one single project from beginning to end....nothing will get done.

If you feel upset, please feel free to contact me directly.  I am an adult and can handle criticism.

Feel free to critique...I can take it...both the good and the bad.

8 minutes ago, Louis Luu said:

I just got done calling some members that were still in the club.  They will post tomorrow. 

Please make sure they are members who purchased the 2021 undrilled gearboxes, not the 2020 predrilled batch. Thank you. 

Stuff I picked up today. - Pre-1950 (Antique) - Antique Fan Collectors Association - AFCA Forums

As for my personal involvement in my many projects.  It cost a small fortune for me to invest in beta testing and I don't charge that onto my customer.  For people that have helped me by lending me their parts, I have always gave them my prototypes free of charge.  I see this as a hobby and not a life perusing business venture.  As for why people don't leave comments, I generally don't expect them to.  Usually, I'll hear about it when it is bad.  Some are kind enough to leave comments when they remember...much appreciated.  As for the cost of what I charge...I merely charge $20 to $40 for the CAD on top of what it cost to print the parts and have them shipped to you after taxes.  Whenever possible, I try to pass on the savings by ordering in bulk and George Durbin kindly helps me by mailing them out.  George does not expect anything in return, but I insist he keeps some free stuff for all his troubles including making donations to charities.  A lot goes on in the background but sometimes I'm forced to share so that people don't get too upset without knowing what is going on. 

Sometimes, I do CAD for free because there are plenty of nice folks here.  And other times, I don't care to because of personal reasons.

Russ...I will make sure you get another bronze/brass gear box free of charge...just make sure to have the gears along box for the machinist to drill.

With the CAD, I will have better control over quality and shrinkage.  While on the topic of CAD...I am sending out another draft for the collar oscillator parts as I am always trying to improve the parts.  As for the CAD on the Kidney Gearbox...I'm on my second beta as I don't like it when it don't look or work correctly. 

As for making the gears, I had numerous people ask...when are you going to make them other gears.  I must first prove the collar gears are viable before I tackle other gears.

Any other concerns/questions, please free to ask here...I don't mind it being posted publicly.

Edited by Louis Luu

As with most things, if you don't like my stuff, I won't be offended if you chose not to buy any of the stuff I've CAD.  I am by no means a professional CAD designer...I am doing this for fun merely to get my mind off of work.  Its been a long day and this is supposed to be relaxing for me.  Please always try to remember that this is supposed to be a hobby and it is not always about the monetary value.  I do also realize some see this as a way of making a living...I get it and understand.  I am by no means a person to judge anyone.  I am simply I see this as a hobby. 

There are plenty of capable machinist out there that can speed things along if you are in a hurry.  I am not a train engineer by merely mess with things and like to learn.

Louis, read this quote from you........"Charlie, Russ, George, Don are people I have promise to sent out free samples to for testing." ~ Louis Luu.  I told you tonight when you called I talked with George Durbin yesterday, and messaged Charlie Wick today.  I told you they told me they have no kidney gearbox from you to date one year later. What did I tell you on the phone that has nothing to do with Cad or the what the casters do? Don't make promises to people and leave them hanging. There are people out here dying for a gearbox. If you want to jump from Cad to Cad and razzle and dazzle us all, have at it. 

We discussed my gearbox, so we have an understanding. I sent you a nice new free meter, please learn how to use it so you don't send me another stump for free with a dead stator in it. Now take a chill pill.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

Louis, read this quote from you........"Charlie, Russ, George, Don are people I have promise to sent out free samples to for testing." ~ Louis Luu.  I told you tonight when you called I talked with George Durbin yesterday, and messaged Charlie Wick today.  I told you they told me they have no kidney gearbox from you to date one year later. What did I tell you on the phone that has nothing to do with Cad or the what the casters do? Don't make promises to people and leave them hanging. There are people out here dying for a gearbox. If you want to jump from Cad to Cad and razzle and dazzle us all, have at it. 

We discussed my gearbox, so we have an understanding. I sent you a nice new free meter, please learn how to use it so you don't send me another stump for free with a dead stator in it. Now take a chill pill.

I also told you I'll be more than happy to pay for the meter you sent.  The gearbox I sent you was free.  I don't know why you are taking this personally.  As for Don, I did send one to him.  I also spoke with George, he is not upset.  Must be another one of those moments where people get overly upset with something and latch on.  I have nothing personal against you.  I am chill till you told me George was upset with me.  I spoke with him...he has a different opinion.  As for Charlie, his phone is not listed; otherwise, I would reach out to him.

Again, you don't have to deal with me if you are not happy with me.  Why you chose this route instead on contacting me directly is a little puzzling?  As for the razzle and dazzle, I just do it because it is fun.  Yes, I will have at it.  Thank you for the suggestion.

Admin, please keep the post as there is nothing offensive yet.

I also sent Jim Dunn one for free.  I don't here a complaint from Don or Jim?  When people receive things for free...they usually don't complain.  Strange reaction.

Yes… Louis did send me a kidney for free of which I am very grateful.We have given and exchanged fan parts to help each other getting our old fans going  on various  occasions.. I hope this spirit lives on as that’s what it’s all about… preserving our fans and supporting kindred spirits in our passion.

I’m sure if Louis promised something he will do it as he’s always been a man of his word with me… he’s just a busy boy.. omg 😳 just look at the cad stuff he’s pumping out and helping many folk in the process 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Russ Huber said:

Russ glad I'm not the only one with empty promises.

• Like 1